Titular ........

  • Chrissan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      Dear Elizabeth, thanks for asking!! I thought I was the only one not
      familiar with the title ;-) Anybody else out there.......?
      Hugs,
      /Chrissan
    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2005
        Dear Elizabeth and Chrissan,

        Titular is the last rank for teachers at the university level. When we start, we are instructors, then we go through assistant, aggregate, associate, and finally titular. To go up in the rank we need to do research, participate in conferences, write articles, and present a research project which is evaluated by a committee. For each level the research project needs to be more complex. We need to stay within each category for a number of years before submitting the research project for the next.

        So, it is not that we are just given a promotion because somebody felt like doing it. It does not necessarily mean, either, that we are going to be given a different job. It is just that we should get more money (I wished it came true) and that we do not have to submit another project to a committee. However, we need to keep doing research, publishing and presenting.

        There are not many titular professors in my Department and that's why it is important.

        Cheers,
        Dafne

        Chrissan <christina_ljunggren@...> wrote:
        Dear Elizabeth, thanks for asking!! I thought I was the only one not
        familiar with the title ;-) Anybody else out there.......?
        Hugs,
        /Chrissan

      • Susanne Nyrop
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2005
          Dear Daf, Chrissan and Elizabeth,

          I found some helpful explanation on wikipedia regaring differences in
          education systems and professor titles.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor

          And Daf - keep doing what you've already done so busily since the first
          day I've met you : enjoy, develop, research, invent, explore and share
          your ideas and publications with all of us :-)