Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Video on Daf's page (Abovestream)

  • J. H. Steele
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2002
      I went there, too. The message I get is that RealPlayer has to download a
      plugin, but then it tells me that there is no plugin available for the
      program I am trying to view. The problem appears to be with Real Player
      itself.

      John, MI

      John H. Steele, Ph.D.
      Prof. English Department
      University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
      jhsteele@... http://www.eslpalace.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2002
        Hi,

        I'm watching Dafne's video now. I am on a DSL connection, and it
        came up in Real Player. Real Player wanted to download a plugin
        first, and I allowed it to do that. The plugin was handled
        automatically, and the video has been playing for the past 5 or 10
        min. Interesting. I've been prowling around Dafne's pages while I'm
        at it.

        The development of these pages is a great testimonial to the success
        of Webheads. I've also made a table for Wimba pages on the Week 5
        pages ... haven't uploaded it yet, and when I've done so I'll put a
        link from the main page. I'll think about how I can track where
        Webheads have taken what they've learned in their web site
        development over the next year.

        So as you develop your pages over the coming year (talking to all
        Webheads) let us know where we can view your work and I'll link it to
        our Webheads pages.

        I just heard from Sue, one of the original Webheads. She's living in
        Texas now and is coming to my parents' house on Saturday. We'll set
        up a web cam and I'll let you know how you can tune in.

        Right now I'm waiting for a phone call from Dave Winet who lives in
        Berkeley. I'm going over there today and am hoping to meet up with
        him.

        All the best,

        Vance

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., "dygonza" <dygonza@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Everybody,
        > It's 3am here in Spain. I have been working on my thesis, and while
        > surfing the web I found a place where you can download videos about
        > different topics. I found one about Art Noveau and created a page
        for
        > it. It is at this URL
        > http://www.geocities.com/dygonza/video.html
        >
        > I am going to bed now, tomorrow I will tell you the URL where to
        find
        > the videos, and I will answer Vance's questions.
        > bfn,
        > Daf.
      • Jane Pringle
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2002
          Hello to all,
          Dafne, the video is great!! I was totally enthralled watching the
          video! However, before I could view it, my computer had to download RealOne
          Player. Once that was completed it worked great. I put the site on my
          favorites list and plan to use this site in class sometime! Thanks!!
        • Arlyn Freed
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2, 2002
            Dafne:
            I saw the video just fine -- but I have RealOne,
            the newest RealPlayer (still free -- though they are
            getting trickier about the placement of the link;
            don't be fooled into downloading the "14-day trial"
            version -- look for the tiny blue type). I viewed it
            on Windows 98, w/Pentium4 and T1 connection (at
            University).
            Still, you would think the video would play with
            any compatible player (MWP or QT)... I checked all
            over AboutStream's site but couldn't find any
            literature re: players for viewing videos. The java
            script uses their own player... this will take more
            exploring I think. Meanwhile, perhaps someone else
            would like to try to open the videos using the same
            code with a different player?
            In anycase, don't worry about cyberdemons attacking
            your webwork, they were too busy munching on my
            students' homework last night : )
            Arlyn

            > Message: 1
            > Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 06:32:01 +0200
            > From: Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...>
            > Subject: Video on Daf's pafe (Abovestream)
            > Sweet Dafne,
            > I get the link OK from your video page to the
            > http://www.abovestream.com/
            > It looks like a great offer, just copy and paste the
            > code to your own page.{snip}
            > Unfortunately, my RealPlayer does not have the
            > plugin. There is an automated message that I "Please
            >wait while RealPlayer gets the plugin from
            >RealNetworks" - but then, "Current AutoUpdate has no
            > plugin available to play your selection. More infor
            > on the technica�l support website". Which causes a
            >system error. This is on the old computer. May try
            >again later on the new one.{snip}
            >**********
            >Message: 10
            > Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:07:41 -0400
            > From: "J. H. Steele" <nkzd@...>
            >Subject: Re: Video on Daf's pafe (Abovestream)
            >Hi, Daf.
            >I have Real Player 8 running on a new machine (I
            >bought it in January or February). I have the same
            >problem as Susanne.{snip}
            [end]

            =====
            http://www.svsu.edu/~afreed

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • aiden yeh
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2002
              Hello Daf, like Teresa, I only had to update a file which was rather quick and in seconds, I was watching the art noveau video. Pretty interesting, reminded me of the art class I took when i was in college.
              aiden
              Teresa_Almeida_d'E�a <tmvaz@...> wrote: Hi, Daf!

              It's 7:00 GMT and I'm going crazy correcting favorite recipes of my
              9th grade students. Some of the direct translations are incredibly
              funny! The difficulty is putting them in comprehensible English.
              That's why I have English cookbooks and dictionaries all around me.
              Anyway, I decided to take a well-deserved break and came over to my
              laptop to look at mail and try out Daf's video, which has been causing
              some trouble. Naughty, naughty, Daf!!! ;-)

              Well, unlike several of our Webhead friends, I had no problem watching
              the Art Nouveau video. I only had to update a file. That was very
              quick. And, amazingly, all the video speeds available worked fine.
              Interesting video, Daf!

              BTW, John, I have a Windows laptop running on Me.

              Daf, I also went to your Wimba voice mail and left a message.

              Hugs, Teresa

              > It's 3am here in Spain. I have been working on my thesis, and while
              > surfing the web I found a place where you can download videos about
              > different topics. I found one about Art Noveau and created a page
              for
              > it. It is at this URL
              > http://www.geocities.com/dygonza/video.html
              >
              > I am going to bed now, tomorrow I will tell you the URL where to
              find
              > the videos, and I will answer Vance's questions.
              > bfn,
              > Daf.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Syllabus: