Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Annotation software

  • amuhren@planet.nl
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2005
      Eric Baber wrote:
      "I'm looking for some software - probably server-side software - that
      allows visitors to a webpage to leave a comment/annotation on that page.
      Ideally, the word would then get flagged up for the next reader..."

      If you think, Eric, that the smallest text unit to be "flagged" can be a
      paragraph and the web page need not be accessible to the public at large,
      then I think you might want to check out QuickTopic. It is a handy tool for
      offering feedback and comments on a text (article, paper, student writing,
      ...).

      This tool converts a Word document to HTML, it splits up the text in
      separate sections using the paragraph indicators in Word for this, and then
      enables the insertion, after each section, of comments.

      Each comment per section will be read as relating to the section as a whole
      which is normally a paragraph. Any comment can of course be prefaced by an
      individual word from the section if the commenter deems such flagging
      necessary. But with the reduction of paragraph length in much writing today
      anyway, I don't think this is often the case. One glance at any paragraph
      of limited length and its subsequent comments will readily show the reader
      what part of the text has been commented on (word, phrase, sentence, whole
      paragraph). Moreover, there is a feature in Quicktopic to split up a long
      paragraph into more than one section.

      The writer sends an announcement to a selected audience of commenters and
      can add more of them as desired. They just enter the page by clicking on a
      link in an e-mail message.

      I haven't used QuickTopic for some time now but when I did in the past I
      thought it was a useful tool.

      <http://www.quicktopic.com>http<http://www.quicktopic.com>://www.quicktopic.com

      Arnold