TESOL Conference--some impressions

  • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi gang--

      This has been one of the most exciting TESOL
      conferences yet! I wish you all could have been in the
      room to hear Karen Price's talk on totally WOW
      computer technology of the 21st century: a pen where
      you can draw a calculator on a piece of e-paper and
      then tap the buttons to add and multiply, etc. It's
      going to be for sale in Sept. in the US. (My
      prediction--the paper will be expensive.)

      Then the 3D "printer" which creates solid plastic
      objects from two dimensional drawings--Karen passed
      them around to play with--and they have moving parts
      too! I've seen this advertized online already.

      New voice/speech recognition tools that are ever more
      sophisticated. And the list goes on. She'll have a
      Webpage soon on it.

      I should mention our newly active Webhead, who was
      also displaying cool stuff in the same session. Jim
      Duber has created some great multimedia sites. He
      promised to send the group the addresses where we
      could help with Beta testing--so come on, Jim! We
      might have our own video-voice-text chat room created
      by him, eh?

      Vance's presentation on technology of the future, as
      you might expect, was the highlight of the whole
      conference. I keep hearing people talk about it in the
      halls. The Wow factor was 12 on a scale of 1-10. Thank
      you, all you Webheads who managed to get "there" with
      him--it really made the whole thing outstanding. Vance
      is expecting many more Webheads to join the group
      soon.

      My general impression of the conference as a whole is
      that (1) communities of practice are being noticed and
      are being demanded. One presentation on writing
      suggested forming a global community to share ideas. I
      had to tell her there were a couple already--beside
      study.com, my Academic_writing YG that several of you
      Webheads are already getting a lot of use out of, and
      Vance's Writing for Webheads. And (2) there are lots
      of cool authoring tools showing up. I'm going to work
      up a little list and maybe we can try them out during
      our TI chats? Some really neat stuff.

      And thank you, again, Elderbob for a wonderful evening
      of Webcamming, great food, excellent wine, and F.U.N.
      The Virtual Fiesta was an event to remember for a long
      time to come. I'll upload my photos to my blog ASAP,
      and you can either pick some off there, or link to
      them. Don't know if I'll make Tampa, but Hawaiian
      shirts will definitely be de rigeur.

      There is one more half-day of the conference, plus the
      CALL IS Planning Meeting for next year. Feels like
      everything is definitely winding down.

      I'm staying on in San Antonio for another week to
      visit friends, but will try to catch up with
      Webheads-- Micheal's song was haunting my sleep last
      night -- I may have grey hair, but I don't care -- I'm
      happy online. I guess it's the Webheads theme song,
      eh?

      Great to see you "here."

      Hugs to everyone--
      --Elizabeth
    • Leanne Mackenzie
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2005
        Thanks for the update from the conference, Elizabeth.
        I'm looking forward to seeing some of those
        innovations you mentioned becoming available.
        Will you be with us at TI tomorrow (Sunday)?
        Enjoy your visit in SA,
        Hugs,
        Leanne