Re: No Fiesta for me!

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Rita and John (recent writers) and all other webheads,

      I've just finished my two days of presentations at TESOL. Thu night I
      drove up to Austin to spend the night at my sister's and leave Dusty
      at his friend's. He's heading back to California and I fly this
      afternoon from Houston and back to Hong Kong.

      Previously at TESOL conferences I and most other webheads have simply
      commandeered computers at the sessions we've presented at, but this
      time IP addresses were needed in advance and were in short supply.
      That's why Wed morning we were not able to connect from our session
      introducing EVOnline. We ended up helping passers by to browse the
      sites. Our famous elderdinner with e-Bob went great for those present
      in San Antonio and maybe less so for those online due to lighting and
      other logistical issues involving trying to eat at a restaurant with
      waiters needing to come between you and electrical and usb cables and
      so on.

      This brings us to Thu a.m. and the CALL Academic Session. The day
      before I had webcast a CALL business meeting just to try out the
      connections and software I'd be using. I had my fixed IP courtesy of
      TESOL by then, and I was just checking connections. I had also been
      to the SmartCity internet provider checking bandwidth and adding to
      our equipment order a hub with two cables so we could network two
      computers at the same time (so I could keep one webcasting). So all
      was in order for the academic session. I arrived at the room an hour
      early and had the chat going as the audience filed in, so people
      online were interacting with the audience before the session started
      and some were even coming from the audience to say Hi and Hola to our
      participants onine.

      As is usual with Webheads demos the session was already underway when
      Susan Gaer got up to introduce us. At the last minute before starting
      myself I thought to turn on the recorder. I now need to find the
      recording. Any ideas where I can find it?

      The session itself? The part with Aiden and Michael went flawlessly.
      We had audience coming to the podium to ask questions on mic and web
      cam, good questions too. The interface between the 100 people there
      and the online presence couldn't have been better. We played
      Michael's song Happy Online and I think it captured the moment
      perfectly. There was plenty of time for a breezy and impressive
      presentation. Audience feedback suggested that many had been blown
      away, yet my point in my presentation was that familiarity with the
      medium fostered in a community of practice is what makes it all so
      effortlessly possible.

      This was followed by Deborah Healey's animated delivery on the latest
      CALL-applicable software and Jim Duber's showing of the 'flash'y stuff
      he's been working on. There were only two online participants around
      (but still 100 in the tesol audience) to hear Karen Price talk about
      things available now, like 3-D printing, that can be applied to
      language learning, and how the most important ingredient is still the
      human one. How true. It was all recorded and hoping to find it later
      and have it available.

      Meanwhile I'm heading for Hong Kong and then home, and I need to get
      driving to Houston, so I'll just say now that Webheads have got to be
      the most fun and most cohesive force in TESOL right now. I thought
      the early days of the CALL interest section were among the best I
      experienced with a group due perhaps to combination of youth and
      principled brashness, but Webheads are keeping me still youthful (and
      others, such as Elizabeth, as well!!) and I appreciate so much the
      chances to interact with all of you, and wish I didn't have to leave
      the conference midway through.

      But I have to be at work in Abu Dhabi on Monday. So till then, and
      with heartfelt thanks to all,

      Vance

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita Zeinstejer"
      <rita@z...> wrote:

      > But today the sun came out to allow me to be present at Vance's
      presentation, and I could attend the session with some Webheads who,
      like me, were trying to share the joy of being together...Thank you,
      Vance, and Michael, I love your song!

      > Thank you all, see you on Saturday,
      >
      > Rita

    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hello all,

        I was online during Vance's presentation as I was invited to say a few words on my "Happy Online" project. Vance was on site early so we had a chance to test our equipment before the big event. People started popping up like mushrooms and it didn't take long, the room was packed. Vance the man was so busy that he almost forgot to record his own session. It was not until I mentioned that I'll be recording the audio when he remembered that he was to do the same. He was simply too happy to be online ;-) Anyway, I did manage to record the session but I messed up the other half of the recording when I plugged in my earphones. I lost the sound from Texas and I only captured the sound from my mic :-( Another lesson for me! I also uploaded the snapshots that I took during this presentation, and they're available at http://newspix.buzznet.com/ Elderbob, can I upload these snapshots to your blog? How?

        Anyway, thanks Vance for webcasting this wonderful event. I had the chance to watch and listen to Deborah Healy's and Jim Duber's excellent presentations. I also recorded their presentations but nothing came out of it. Anyone here using Real Player 10? I used it to capture audio and my setting was to capture from sound mixer. But why didn't it capture sound when I plugged in my earphones? 'extremely puzzled and frustrated- those were good presentations -arrrggh.

        It's Saturday noon here and filial duties are calling. I'll be offline for the day.

        Cheers,

        aiden