No Fiesta for me!

  • Chrissan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 9:14 AM
      Dear fiesta webheads

      Tried desperately to join you this afternoon but no such luck!
      Both Alejandra W and I used all our combined intelligence and
      websavviness to enter LT and none of us succeded. I can add that I was
      rather pleased that I wasn't alone..... this way I knew it wasn't
      anything personal ;-) Christine L and Aiden tried to help us but had
      to give up. (Thank you to both of you for trying in the middle of an
      interesting topic!)

      I contacted LT support and a wonderful person, Teresa, also did her
      best.She finally had to forward our problems to Eluminate support...
      let see what happens!

      Has anybody else experienced the same situation today?
      Disappointed hugs,
      /Chrissan
    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31 9:45 AM
        The oddity for me was my microphone, which I know was working as I
        used it to record a short message as part of the Eluminate check list
        when there is a problem. The other problem I had, which I think is
        just my own ignorance about the speaker controls is that I wanted the
        audio to come from my external speakers as vs. in my headset. But at
        times the audio came through the headset, in spite of efforts to get
        it to the external speakers. Oh well.

        At 5:14 PM +0000 3/31/05, Chrissan wrote:
        >Dear fiesta webheads
        >
        >Tried desperately to join you this afternoon but no such luck!
        >Both Alejandra W and I used all our combined intelligence and
        >websavviness to enter LT and none of us succeded. I can add that I was
        >rather pleased that I wasn't alone..... this way I knew it wasn't
        >anything personal ;-) Christine L and Aiden tried to help us but had
        >to give up. (Thank you to both of you for trying in the middle of an
        >interesting topic!)
        >
        >I contacted LT support and a wonderful person, Teresa, also did her
        >best.She finally had to forward our problems to Eluminate support...
        >let see what happens!
        >
        >Has anybody else experienced the same situation today?
        > Disappointed hugs,
        >/Chrissan
        >

        >For more information:

        >extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
        >delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
        >Thanks!!
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rita Zeinstejer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31 6:17 PM
          Hi dear Webheads in San Antonio both f2f and online,

          It was also a "no-fiesta" experience for me .... But not because my pc failed me this time. In fact, as I had always found trouble to join the group at Learning Times (my machine used to kick me away of the program, mainly when ppt slides were changed), I was sure this time I would relax and enjoy....I have a new cpu, broadband, my webcam on and voice enabled..., What could go wrong??

          There's ALWAYS sth that can go wrong....This time my server went down just before the FIESTA....., and I missed all the fun.... I couldn't get to sleep after that, enraged with my luck...

          But today the sun came out to allow me to be present at Vance's presentation, and I could attend the session with some Webheads who, like me, were trying to share the joy of being together...Thank you, Vance, and Michael, I love your song!

          Thank you all, see you on Saturday,

          Rita

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hi Rita and John (recent writers) and all other webheads,

            I've just finished my two days of presentations at TESOL. Thu night I
            drove up to Austin to spend the night at my sister's and leave Dusty
            at his friend's. He's heading back to California and I fly this
            afternoon from Houston and back to Hong Kong.

            Previously at TESOL conferences I and most other webheads have simply
            commandeered computers at the sessions we've presented at, but this
            time IP addresses were needed in advance and were in short supply.
            That's why Wed morning we were not able to connect from our session
            introducing EVOnline. We ended up helping passers by to browse the
            sites. Our famous elderdinner with e-Bob went great for those present
            in San Antonio and maybe less so for those online due to lighting and
            other logistical issues involving trying to eat at a restaurant with
            waiters needing to come between you and electrical and usb cables and
            so on.

            This brings us to Thu a.m. and the CALL Academic Session. The day
            before I had webcast a CALL business meeting just to try out the
            connections and software I'd be using. I had my fixed IP courtesy of
            TESOL by then, and I was just checking connections. I had also been
            to the SmartCity internet provider checking bandwidth and adding to
            our equipment order a hub with two cables so we could network two
            computers at the same time (so I could keep one webcasting). So all
            was in order for the academic session. I arrived at the room an hour
            early and had the chat going as the audience filed in, so people
            online were interacting with the audience before the session started
            and some were even coming from the audience to say Hi and Hola to our
            participants onine.

            As is usual with Webheads demos the session was already underway when
            Susan Gaer got up to introduce us. At the last minute before starting
            myself I thought to turn on the recorder. I now need to find the
            recording. Any ideas where I can find it?

            The session itself? The part with Aiden and Michael went flawlessly.
            We had audience coming to the podium to ask questions on mic and web
            cam, good questions too. The interface between the 100 people there
            and the online presence couldn't have been better. We played
            Michael's song Happy Online and I think it captured the moment
            perfectly. There was plenty of time for a breezy and impressive
            presentation. Audience feedback suggested that many had been blown
            away, yet my point in my presentation was that familiarity with the
            medium fostered in a community of practice is what makes it all so
            effortlessly possible.

            This was followed by Deborah Healey's animated delivery on the latest
            CALL-applicable software and Jim Duber's showing of the 'flash'y stuff
            he's been working on. There were only two online participants around
            (but still 100 in the tesol audience) to hear Karen Price talk about
            things available now, like 3-D printing, that can be applied to
            language learning, and how the most important ingredient is still the
            human one. How true. It was all recorded and hoping to find it later
            and have it available.

            Meanwhile I'm heading for Hong Kong and then home, and I need to get
            driving to Houston, so I'll just say now that Webheads have got to be
            the most fun and most cohesive force in TESOL right now. I thought
            the early days of the CALL interest section were among the best I
            experienced with a group due perhaps to combination of youth and
            principled brashness, but Webheads are keeping me still youthful (and
            others, such as Elizabeth, as well!!) and I appreciate so much the
            chances to interact with all of you, and wish I didn't have to leave
            the conference midway through.

            But I have to be at work in Abu Dhabi on Monday. So till then, and
            with heartfelt thanks to all,

            Vance

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita Zeinstejer"
            <rita@z...> wrote:

            > But today the sun came out to allow me to be present at Vance's
            presentation, and I could attend the session with some Webheads who,
            like me, were trying to share the joy of being together...Thank you,
            Vance, and Michael, I love your song!

            > Thank you all, see you on Saturday,
            >
            > Rita

          • Aiden Yeh
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
              Hello all,

              I was online during Vance's presentation as I was invited to say a few words on my "Happy Online" project. Vance was on site early so we had a chance to test our equipment before the big event. People started popping up like mushrooms and it didn't take long, the room was packed. Vance the man was so busy that he almost forgot to record his own session. It was not until I mentioned that I'll be recording the audio when he remembered that he was to do the same. He was simply too happy to be online ;-) Anyway, I did manage to record the session but I messed up the other half of the recording when I plugged in my earphones. I lost the sound from Texas and I only captured the sound from my mic :-( Another lesson for me! I also uploaded the snapshots that I took during this presentation, and they're available at http://newspix.buzznet.com/ Elderbob, can I upload these snapshots to your blog? How?

              Anyway, thanks Vance for webcasting this wonderful event. I had the chance to watch and listen to Deborah Healy's and Jim Duber's excellent presentations. I also recorded their presentations but nothing came out of it. Anyone here using Real Player 10? I used it to capture audio and my setting was to capture from sound mixer. But why didn't it capture sound when I plugged in my earphones? 'extremely puzzled and frustrated- those were good presentations -arrrggh.

              It's Saturday noon here and filial duties are calling. I'll be offline for the day.

              Cheers,

              aiden