[Fwd: Yahoo Marketing]

  • BJ Berquist
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
    • aiden yeh
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
        BJ,
        Were you trying to send something? Or was it a corrupt message? Looks like it contains virus?
        Aiden
        BJ Berquist <berquist@...> wrote:

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Syllabus:

      • BJ Berquist
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
          Let's try this:(I tried to forward this message...obviously it didn't
          work :-()
          BJ

          Hi, friends at TAPPED IN!

          I received word on another list that during Yahoo's recent
          "maintenance",
          they reset everyone's marketing preferences to "yes" for all types of
          advertising and spam. They even set mail and phone offers to "yes". To
          correct this privacy intrusion, you need to go to your account and
          change
          all the YES boxes to NO boxes. I just checked and it really was the
          case.

          Go to: http://subscribe.yahoo.com/showaccount and then scroll until you
          see Edit Your Marketing Preferences. Click there and make the changes.
          This can be done if you are registered with Yahoo ID to access the web
          interface, but I am not too sure if you don't.

          I think this is the danger we take utilizing free service these days.
          Please pass this message along to other friends, family, and LISTS that
          you are on so others can go and make their changes also.

          I would appreciate your attention.

          Sincerely yours,
          Keiko Schneider (aka KeikoS)

          --
          Keiko Schneider (kschnei@...)
          Bookmarks: http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
            You know, I wonder how legal it is for them to make that change without
            notifying each and every member of every list so they can have a chance to
            opt out of receiving any such mail. I especially wonder about cases where
            people have previously indicated to them (when they signed up) that they did
            not wish to receive mail from third parties.

            John

            John H. Steele, Ph.D.
            Prof. English Department
            University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
            jhsteele@... http://www.eslpalace.com

            > Let's try this:(I tried to forward this message...obviously it didn't
            > work :-()
            > BJ
            >
            > Hi, friends at TAPPED IN!
            >
            > I received word on another list that during Yahoo's recent
            > "maintenance",
            > they reset everyone's marketing preferences to "yes" for all types of
            > advertising and spam. They even set mail and phone offers to "yes". To
            > correct this privacy intrusion, you need to go to your account and
            > change
            > all the YES boxes to NO boxes. I just checked and it really was the
            > case.
            >
            > Go to: http://subscribe.yahoo.com/showaccount and then scroll until you
            > see Edit Your Marketing Preferences. Click there and make the changes.
            > This can be done if you are registered with Yahoo ID to access the web
            > interface, but I am not too sure if you don't.
            >
            > I think this is the danger we take utilizing free service these days.
            > Please pass this message along to other friends, family, and LISTS that
            > you are on so others can go and make their changes also.
            >
            > I would appreciate your attention.
            >
            > Sincerely yours,
            > Keiko Schneider (aka KeikoS)
            >
            > --
            > Keiko Schneider (kschnei@...)
            > Bookmarks: http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks
            > Manager, SenseiOnline:
            > http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks/about/senseiOnline.html
            > Online Academic Conferences Chair, WAOE http://waoe.org
            > HelpDesk volunteer at TAPPED IN: http://www.tappedin.org
          • Nigel Caplan
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
              John,

              According to their blurb, their are informing everyone by email,
              although I haven't received that message yet. The changes won't go into
              effect until 60 days after sending the email. If I remember rightly, the
              only option which defaults to NO is "crap from 3rd parties" - only
              Yahoo's own publicity was set to "yes". It's sneaky, but I don't think
              it's illegal; I'm no expert, however.

              Nigel