Re: Anyone have problems recording with WIMBA?

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hi Ann, You are not a lurker any more. I am one of the Webheads who
      is experimenting with Wimba on my webpage. Only one person, I think
      it was Lena, who had that problem. Many people have successfully left
      messages and I have replied and sent many voice e-mails. I also have
      Real Player, Quick Time and WMP. If you want to try my Wimba this is
      the URL:
      http://www.geocities.com/dygonza/wimbdaf.html

      Good luck,
      Dafne

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., "foxdenuk" <af@g...> wrote:
      > When I signed up to this group I didn't set out to be a lurker but
      > the pace has been so fast and furious that that was what I became.
      > have followed events enough to know that several people have
      > experimented with WIMBA boards and I am curious to know if anyone
      has
      > had problems recording messages.
      >
      > I have three WIMBA boards, two for English learners, one of which
      is
      > password protected and one for French,my hobby
      > (http://anne_fox.homestead.com/TalkFrench.html)and I find that I
      > often cannot record messages here at home whereas at work there is
      > usually no problem. I work with Explorer 5, Win 98 and I make sure
      > the recording properties are correct as described on the WIMBA
      > website at http://www.wimba.com/support_vf_faq.php but still I get
      > message saying 'audio device is busy. Please close any competing
      > applications and try again.' This makes me wonder if I have some
      > default setting preventing me from using WIMBA. I have Real Player,
      > WMP and Quicktime installed and wonder if one of these is to blame.
      > Real Player is my prime suspect as I find it prone to take over.
      Has
      > anybody had any similar problems? Were you able to resolve them?
      >
      > Fortunately none of my Voiceboards are particularly active so this
      > has not been a major problem but even so I find it mildly
      embarassing
      > that as Board moderator/manager I cannot use it as easily as I
      would
      > like.
      > Anne
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hi Anne,
        nice to see you are coming out from the darkness of lurking :-)

        Your idea of a sofweare conflict with Wimba sounds probable. It
        would certainly be interesting to explore the isssue further, and
        eventually try to find a solution. Did you ask the Wimba developers
        for advice? Your description of the configuration and the character
        of your problem is clear, so just cop & paste it in a mail to them.
        We certainly would like to be kept informed.

        Well, as Mac user, I am not impressed by the Wimba technology, or am
        I just too envious? It simply does not work for macs, not even in
        system 9 (as I thought perhaps would solve the problem). Wimba report
        some possible bugs - but says they will support mac. I have tried
        it on different computers, also outside my personal home office, and
        without success. My tech savvy nephew, David, 25, a talented Music
        composer and digital sound master, says, his experiences using Macs
        on the internet are not in the favour of Mac, and I tend to agree.
        Too many interesting programmes are deveopled for Windows only. But
        for work like music, artwork and video editing, Macs are still the
        best choice.

        Anyone here who have succes stories about Mac users and Wimbas?

        Hugs, Susanne
      • dygonza
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
          Ann, sorry you were not able to record on my Wimba, I did get your
          written message, though. The application that sometimes makes my mic
          not to work is the Music Match Jukebox than came with my laptop, and
          I get the same message you are mentioning. What I do is that I double
          click on the speaker icon at the bottom of my screen (on the right),
          open the "option" label, then "properties". Check the
          option "recording" and then click on "accept". You will get a small
          window with three columns, the last to your right is the mic
          control, there is a small square at the bottom of that column which
          should be checked, if it is not, you have to check it and close the
          window, your mic then should work. I do that everytime I get that
          message, as suggested by the computer store tech. where I bought my
          laptop.
          Hope it helps, I understand your frustration.
          Dafne.

        • foxdenuk
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
            A strange thing happened today. I got the recording facility to work
            on WIMBA and even re-recorded my message twice in order to get it
            right. Then I couldn't post it because of congestion. I aborted
            because I didn't want to hang around online just waiting for a window
            of opportunity to post. I thought I've cracked this now so it doesn't
            matter. Just try again later. And when I did, same settings as you
            mention below, Dafne, I got the 'audio device busy' message all over
            again. I despair!
            Anne

          • vancestev@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
              Hi Anne,

              Sorry to hear you are having trouble recording in Wimba. Didn't you say it
              works fine at the office? It seems to me it's a bandwidth problem. I have
              the same problem at my office where I have to use Wimba on a 56k dialup. I
              often get network congestion there, though I have no trouble over a DSL line.
              If you can't get a faster connection and you do get on, then keep your
              recording short.

              It's not you. I think your Wimba is working fine, you just need a faster
              connection.

              Vance
            • vancestev@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
                I'm posting these to the Week 5 Syllabus page.

                I'm not where I have convenient connection at the moment, but I'd like to
                listen to what's on the French site, and peut etre enregistrer une reponse.

                Vance

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                  Interesting suggestion! I managed to record and post this morning.
                  It's so random. I have an ISDN connection at home but now that
                  broadband has just come to this rural part of Denmark the reasons for
                  going over to it are beginning to pile up.
                  Anne