Re: [evonline2002_webheads] My face to face encounter with Graham, Nicky and Gavin...

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
      At 9:19 AM -0800 2/14/05, Noreen Sullivan wrote:
      >Spicy flavored and pointed usually with humor.

      Says dictionary.com:
      Picante
      1.Prepared in such a way as to be spicy.
      2.Having a sauce typically containing tomatoes, onions, peppers, and vinegar.

      I shall have to remember this.

      Can it be used as a verb -as in...
      .....you, sir, need to picante your writings?

      Someone should write to Bill Safire. He would have fun with this for
      his Sunday NY Times magazine articles. Thanks Vance. Thanks Noreen
    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
        Hi All,

        It was great to meet María the other day. We had some good food and wine and
        a good chat. You'll have noticed I'm a lurker on this group - I do read
        every day, just don't have a lot of time to get involved. That's why the f2f
        with María was so good.

        > From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
        > Subject: Re: My face to face encounter with Graham, Nicky and Gavin...
        >
        > Thanks for the pics. I recall Gavin myself sitting nearby at
        > a restaurant in the port area last time I was in Barcelona.
        > He used to be a stand-up > comedian so he's capable of
        > giving a picante talk on subjects in our field.

        Thanks Vance! Although that was a long time ago - nobody thinks I'm funny
        anymore ;-)))

        or picante... :-((((((

        Gavin

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
          Dear María,

          What a nice souvenir of a fun meeting! I'll include it in our WiA Index real
          soon.

          Guess what? I'm meeting Graham f2f tomorrow. He just phoned me. He's in
          Lisbon for a course at the British Council. I'll also be meeting his group.
          We'll take photos, of course, and create a page.

          Hugs,

          Teresa

          > Hi and sorry for the delay....
          > Here you are my little web:
          > http://www.mariajordano.com/wia_corner/barcelona2005.htm
          > Have to go now....
          > Wonderful!!!
          > María
        • Dafne
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
            Dear John,

            You asked:

            Can it be used as a verb -as in...
            .....you, sir, need to picante your writings?

            You can say:

            .....you, sir, need to make your writings picantes!

            or ...you need to put some picante in your writings!

            The verb is "picar"
            the noun is "picante"
            the adjective is "picante/s

            Cheers,
            Daf

            John Hibbs <hibbs@...> wrote:
            At 9:19 AM -0800 2/14/05, Noreen Sullivan wrote:
            >Spicy flavored and pointed usually with humor.

            Says dictionary.com:
            Picante
            1.Prepared in such a way as to be spicy.
            2.Having a sauce typically containing tomatoes, onions, peppers, and vinegar.

            I shall have to remember this.

            Can it be used as a verb -as in...
            .....you, sir, need to picante your writings?

            Someone should write to Bill Safire. He would have fun with this for
            his Sunday NY Times magazine articles. Thanks Vance. Thanks Noreen

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            document.write('');

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 14, 2005
              cheers, Gavin
              and congrats on being no longer, technically, a lurker
              awaiting your picante remarks on this list,

              Thanks Vance! Although that was a long time ago - nobody thinks I'm funny
              anymore ;-)))

              or picante... :-((((((

              Gavin
            • Maria Jordano
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 15, 2005
                Hei!!!

                Great!!!

                Mar�a

                =====
                www.mariajordano.com

                http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
              • Susan Burg
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                  John, I thought I would add that in Italian picante means hot and spicy to describe a plate of spagetti, for example, in which red hot pepper has been added to the sauce. It is never a verb, however!

                  CHE PICANTE!
                  Susan

                  Says dictionary.com:
                  Picante
                  1.Prepared in such a way as to be spicy.
                  2.Having a sauce typically containing tomatoes, onions, peppers, and vinegar.

                • Rita Zeinstejer
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 16, 2005
                    Hi, John,

                    About "picante", you asked,

                    "Can it be used as a verb -as in...
                    .....you, sir, need to picante your writings?"

                    Well, "picante" is an adjective in Spanish (Argentinian, at least), commonly used with 2 different meanings. One, to refer to any hot (spicy) meal. And the other to refer to words, or a story, meaning kind of "mischievous", or having some humorous sexual connotation. It cannot be used as a verb. It might, though, be used as in "make sth picante", again, as an adjective.

                    Hope this helps season your writings ...;-))

                    Warmest,

                    Rita

                  • Dafne