RE: [evonline2002_webheads] RE: Cutting Edge Tools (from Christin e BR)

  • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      Thank you, all, for your supportive comments.

      Ismail-you wondered what platform was used. It was all done in PowerPoint,
      with links to Word files and to sound/song files (.midi, .wav, and .wma),
      which would NOT stay intact if the PPT were simply converted to HTML/web
      format-the links would be missing since they go to documents that reside on
      your computer locally. You can package a PPT with such links by using Pack
      and Go in PPT, which generates an .exe file that is not accepted by any
      course management system, so I had to come up with something else. The
      program that packaged all of the files AND compressed them from 26 MB to 6MB
      is called IMPATICA, for which you can download a trial/demo from
      http://www.impatica.com <http://www.impatica.com/> . This program generates
      an html file plus other files, all of which have to be uploaded to a folder
      on a web site. The link is then made to the html file to get the output
      that you saw.

      It was quite a process, as you can imagine, to get the presentation into the
      form it's in. One of the issues was getting the timings right for the
      song-toward the end the timings turned out to be a bit off. My narration
      was done with a microphone and using PPT's "record narration", which
      generates .wav files that are embedded into the slide.

      My college has now bought 2 licenses of Impatica (about $300 each) because
      there are more faculty that need to compress PPTs and upload them to our
      course management system. It can also be used to compress digital video,
      too, which is the next project that I want to use it for.

      Christine

      Christine Bauer-Ramazani

      School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642

      Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595

      One Winooski Park

      Colchester, VT 05439-0253

      web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/

      online CALL course:
      http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
      mo.htm

    • CJones
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
        Hi, Christine,

        This is indeed impressive as the others said before me. I wish I had
        the time to work with it, but I have too many other things to do just
        now. Congratulations on a job well done.

        Chris Jones