RE: [evonline2002_webheads] RE: Cutting Edge Tools (from Christin e BR)

  • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi Michael,

      Of course, you have my permission to link. Thank you for asking. We
      actually had CDs burnt to give to the students.
      Good luck with your proposal--who will you be submitting this to? I'm sure
      it'll be a good one.

      Christine
      Christine Bauer-Ramazani
      School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
      Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
      One Winooski Park
      Colchester, VT 05439-0253

      web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
      online CALL course:
      http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
      mo.htm

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:18:08 +1030
      From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
      Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Tools (from Christine BR)

      Great work Christine. Thanks for sharing this. I need to write a submission
      for a project to do similar things with students here and this will be very
      helpful. If you had it ready for my presentation I would have used it. With
      your permission I'd like to link to it from
      http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/els/pres.htm

      You've created a wonderful resource. I have this idea that each student
      could make a 'digital story' like the one in your presentation at the URL
      below, and they could all be burnt to CD so the whole class takes away a
      copy at the end of the course. That's what I'm going to submit in my
      project proposal.

      - Michael.
    • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
        Thank you, all, for your supportive comments.

        Ismail-you wondered what platform was used. It was all done in PowerPoint,
        with links to Word files and to sound/song files (.midi, .wav, and .wma),
        which would NOT stay intact if the PPT were simply converted to HTML/web
        format-the links would be missing since they go to documents that reside on
        your computer locally. You can package a PPT with such links by using Pack
        and Go in PPT, which generates an .exe file that is not accepted by any
        course management system, so I had to come up with something else. The
        program that packaged all of the files AND compressed them from 26 MB to 6MB
        is called IMPATICA, for which you can download a trial/demo from
        http://www.impatica.com <http://www.impatica.com/> . This program generates
        an html file plus other files, all of which have to be uploaded to a folder
        on a web site. The link is then made to the html file to get the output
        that you saw.

        It was quite a process, as you can imagine, to get the presentation into the
        form it's in. One of the issues was getting the timings right for the
        song-toward the end the timings turned out to be a bit off. My narration
        was done with a microphone and using PPT's "record narration", which
        generates .wav files that are embedded into the slide.

        My college has now bought 2 licenses of Impatica (about $300 each) because
        there are more faculty that need to compress PPTs and upload them to our
        course management system. It can also be used to compress digital video,
        too, which is the next project that I want to use it for.

        Christine

        Christine Bauer-Ramazani

        School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642

        Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595

        One Winooski Park

        Colchester, VT 05439-0253

        web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/

        online CALL course:
        http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
        mo.htm

      • CJones
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
          Hi, Christine,

          This is indeed impressive as the others said before me. I wish I had
          the time to work with it, but I have too many other things to do just
          now. Congratulations on a job well done.

          Chris Jones