Re: tiny url

  • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
      John--
      Over the years I've found tiny url broken about 50% of
      the time, so it is good to have both the long and the
      short version.
      --Elizabeth

      <http://users.chariot.net.au/%7Emichaelc/els/movie_maker_sample.wmv>

      > <http://tinyurl.com/5v8uf>
      >
      > NOTE: It might be that posters should post the
      > "long" (original)
      > along with the tiny one?
      >

      > Just a thought.
      >
      > John
    • Imre Szabo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
        Dear All,

        Let me have a short notice: like tinyurl there is an other tool that shortens long url-s.
        http://snipurl.com/ . I have no experience how long it keeps the conversions.

        Best,

        Imre

        Imre Szabó
        English teacher
        +36702031047

      • Jim Duber
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
          Greetings all!

          I'm a new subscriber to the list. Some of you may know me from my
          occasional posts on other lists and my various web-related activities.
          I'll skip introducing myself for now and get to the point...

          I believe the main reason people use services like "tiny url" is to
          avoid problems that arise when including a long URL in an email
          message. Often, those URLs are broken when they're too long to fit on
          one line. So, clicking on them leads to a 404 (i.e., "page not found")
          error message. And copying and pasting them doesn't work unless you are
          careful to edit out the line wrap, which generally requires copying
          from an email, then pasting into a text-editor to revise, then copying
          again and pasting the fixed URL into a browser. It's a lot of work for
          what should be a simple operation.

          Fortunately, there is a work-around:
          If you post a long URL, just remember to put it between angled-brackets
          (i.e., "<....>").

          The URLs will still appear in multiple lines, but they will be
          clickable in most (all?) email programs that display URLs as hotlinks.
          One further caveat, this will only work if you remember to include the
          full URL starting with the "http://" protocol marker.

          Best regards,

          Jim
          Jim Duber
          jim@...
          duber dot com
          http://duber.com
          Interactive Media Development, Training and Consulting

          See the LetsTalk Discussions: http://duber.com/LetsTalk/
        • Dafne
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
            Hi Jim, Welcome to Webheads in Action! Great to have your here sharing your expertise with us. I have left some messages on your voice-boards in several ocassions, and lately on Let's talk.
            I love it!!!

            Cheers,
            Daf

            Jim Duber <jim@...> wrote:
            Greetings all!

            I'm a new subscriber to the list. Some of you may know me from my
            occasional posts on other lists and my various web-related activities.

          • Buthaina
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
              Dear Jim,

              We are so happy to find you've joined our Webheads' list! I'm sure
              that your participation is going to add a lot to the onging learning
              experience that has started here, on this very list, since January
              2002.

              Thank you and welcome aboard, Jim, :-)

              Buth

              In evonline2002_webheads, Jim Duber wrote:
              > Greetings all!
              >
              > I'm a new subscriber to the list. Some of you may know me from my
              > occasional posts on other lists and my various web-related
              activities.
              > I'll skip introducing myself for now and get to the point...
              >
              > I believe the main reason people use services like "tiny url" is
              > avoid problems that arise when including a long URL in an email
              > message. Often, those URLs are broken when they're too long to fit
              on
              > one line. So, clicking on them leads to a 404 (i.e., "page not
              found")
              > error message. And copying and pasting them doesn't work unless
              you are
              > careful to edit out the line wrap, which generally requires
              copying
              > from an email, then pasting into a text-editor to revise, then
              copying
              > again and pasting the fixed URL into a browser. It's a lot of work
              for
              > what should be a simple operation.
              >
              > Fortunately, there is a work-around:
              > If you post a long URL, just remember to put it between angled-
              brackets
              > (i.e., "<....>").
              >
              > The URLs will still appear in multiple lines, but they will be
              > clickable in most (all?) email programs that display URLs as
              hotlinks.
              > One further caveat, this will only work if you remember to include
              the
              > full URL starting with the "http://" protocol marker.
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Jim
              > Jim Duber
              > jim@d...
              > duber dot com
              > http://duber.com
              > Interactive Media Development, Training and Consulting
              >
              > See the LetsTalk Discussions: http://duber.com/LetsTalk/
            • Michael Coghlan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2005
                Interesting comment Elizabeth. I'll keep watch over my tiny urls. I've been
                using them for several years and so far so good. I notice Tiny URL has a
                contact info address. I'll write and ask them if they have a limited
                lifespan. Who knows. Someone may even respond. =-O

                - Michael.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 22, 2005
                  Welcome to this great community, Jim! And long live the Webheads!!! :-)

                  I've been to your pages several times, but don't remember leaving a message.

                  Thanks for the tip.

                  Teresa (in Lisbon, Portugal)