on students' collaborative work

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 13, 2005
      Hi folks,

      This semester I had 50 students in my Language and Culture class and
      for task-based projects I divided them into groups, 5 members per
      group. I think this kind of groupings went well [that's what I force
      myself to believe]. Everyone had a chance to speak, from intro to
      conclusion. I told them that they have to collaborate with each
      other, assigning and dividing tasks among themselves, this way,
      every member has got something to do. I give a uniform grade for all
      group members for collaborative work.

      The sem is over and in the course feedback that I gave them, one
      student wrote: "i think it is such a big class, even devided into 10
      groups,there are still too many people in one group. Everytime we do
      the project, there must be someone doesn't contribute much but rely
      on others. i think it is very unfair to grade everyone in a group
      the same. Especially some high technical work, it is usually done by
      certain people.."

      I am aware that some students are lazy and that they usually depend
      on other people's work. That is why I kept on reiterating the
      importance of team work. Perhaps, it's a cultural thing, I don't
      know.

      I am now preparing my syllabus for next semester and I think I'll be
      focusing more on language [sociolinguistics]. There will still be
      quizzes but I would still like to give them at least 2 task-based
      projects. Grouping is the only solution that I could think for this
      rather huge class. downsizing is out of the question. Any other
      solutions? And should I still give them a group grade or individual
      grade based on effort [but this doesn't fit in the way we
      define 'collaborative work']

      aiden
    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 13, 2005
        "I am aware that some students are lazy and that they usually depend on
        other people's work. That is why I kept on reiterating the importance of
        team work. Perhaps, it's a cultural thing, I don't know. "

        Hi Aiden,
        The big test will come in the next 6 weeks...where we have an enormous group
        enrolled for the Evo05 weblogging workshop. We have also devised a task
        oriented approach based on collaboration. Here our learners are
        teachers...let's see if what comes out of it is any better... ;-)
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        Barbara Dieu
        Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 13, 2005
          At 11:08 PM -0200 1/13/05, Barbara Dieu wrote:
          >Here our learners are teachers...let's see if what comes out of it
          >is any better... ;-

          I wanna be in the slow learners group assigned to the teachers with
          elephant sized patience levels. Where do I sign up?
        • Dafne
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 14, 2005
            Dear Aiden,

            I have been using cooperative learning techniques for grouping my students, and for creating tasks for group work. What I use a lot is a jig-saw technique. Each student has a piece of information needed by everybody to complete the task. For instance. each student is responsible for becoming an expert at something (let's say each one has a different reading) and then each expert will pass the information to others and has to make sure everybody understands. You can then give an individual quiz or have each write a summary with the main ideas contributed by each individual. In this way you will see who worked and who did not. I usually prepare a checklist for students to evaluate their own and their peers' engagement in group work.

            There are different cooperative learning techniques, but it is important before starting group work to guide students in what it takes to work in groups. Kagan has some very good activities to promote Classbuilding, Teambuilding, Positive Interdependence, Individual Accountability and collaborative skills. It is also important to create heterogeneous groups (different levels) to enhance scaffolding.

            my 2 cents.

            hugs,
            Daf

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
              Daf, you next "mission" might be to do for TeamBuilding what Bee and
              others are doing for webblogging -- have a four to eight week
              "course" about how you do this -intended not just for language
              teachers but for all those who realize that not only has this
              *always* been an essential skill, but that the Net has added steroids
              to both its necessity and its application.

              Note: This is the most amazing group I have ever encountered!

            • Aiden Yeh
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                Hi Daf,

                Each group submits to me a paper, a written version of their oral presentation. In this paper, they indicate 'who will present what'. So, in a way, this tells me the scope of work each member did. In some cases, for example, in their video [student-made videos] they usually put credits at the end of their film.

                Your suggestion on giving a checklist for team member's work is a good one. And, yes, I should put everything in writing.

                However, the question remains the same. Do you think students' should receive a group grade or individual grade based on their contribution?

                I tend to think that group grade fits the teamwork context.

                Aiden

                Daf wrote: [snip] You can then give an individual quiz or have each write a summary
                >with the main ideas contributed by each individual. In this way you
                >will see who worked and who did not. I usually prepare a checklist
                >for students to evaluate their own and their peers' engagement in
                >group work.

              • Barbara Dieu
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                  Hi Aiden,
                  I have used group and individual evaluation but then I give them some time
                  to work on their group assignment in class so I can see how they are
                  interacting.
                  On this page you can have a look at some rubrics I have used:
                  http://the_english_dept.tripod.com/1les.html

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                    Hi Aiden,

                    I think working in groups is a cultural thing, at least here in
                    Kuwait. I struggled with my Science English classes at Kuwait
                    University. The first time I taught a High Intermediate to Advanced
                    ESP, English for Science class, in Fall 2003, I used to provide
                    equal grades for members of each group; however, this way helped the
                    lazy students, especially those with stronger personalities, to
                    avoid working.
                    In Spring 2004 I was more aware of the problem and decided to grade
                    members of each team individually. Students were of course told
                    about that and it relatively worked!

                    Another new thing I did, in Fall 2004 was asking each group member
                    to write or meet with me during office hours to report to me
                    his /her feedback and comments on how the work is going and how
                    whether his/her group members are cooperating or not. This worked
                    well especially in my male classes.

                    Another new thing I also did this time was organizing regular
                    meetings with each group during my office hours, throughout the
                    semester. I did that because I noticed that only a few students came
                    to see me to ask questions or to get feedback on their work, during
                    previous semesters. We met three times during this semester, and I
                    did something similar to what Daf said of checking each student's
                    part in a group-task, ( it was a short research paper to be written
                    and presented by each group near the end of the semester. Each
                    student writes one or two paragraphs based on his/her reading of at
                    least two references. Each group member was also assigned a role.
                    For example, a student who is more interested in using the Internet
                    than the others would be the group webmaster/webmistress. This
                    student creates the group's blog and a website if needed. Another
                    student would be the group's proofreader; this student is usually
                    the one who is at a higher level with advanced writing and reading
                    skills. A third student would be the PowerPoint slides designer for
                    the group-presentation. Using these techniques have really helped
                    me, Aiden and things worked better for me and my students.

                    Finally, I agree with Daf saying: "there are different cooperative
                    learning techniques, but it is important before starting group work
                    to guide students in what it takes to work in groups".

                    I hope this is helpful, Aiden.

                    Buth

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Aiden Yeh"
                    <aidenyeh@y...> wrote:

                    > Hi folks,
                    >
                    > This semester I had 50 students in my Language and Culture class
                    and
                    > for task-based projects I divided them into groups, 5 members per
                    > group. I think this kind of groupings went well [that's what I
                    force
                    > myself to believe]. Everyone had a chance to speak, from intro to
                    > conclusion. I told them that they have to collaborate with each
                    > other, assigning and dividing tasks among themselves, this way,
                    > every member has got something to do. I give a uniform grade for
                    all
                    > group members for collaborative work.
                    >
                    > The sem is over and in the course feedback that I gave them, one
                    > student wrote: "i think it is such a big class, even devided into
                    10
                    > groups,there are still too many people in one group. Everytime we
                    do
                    > the project, there must be someone doesn't contribute much but
                    rely
                    > on others. i think it is very unfair to grade everyone in a group
                    > the same. Especially some high technical work, it is usually done
                    by
                    > certain people.."
                    >

                    > I am aware that some students are lazy and that they usually
                    depend
                    > on other people's work. That is why I kept on reiterating the
                    > importance of team work. Perhaps, it's a cultural thing, I don't
                    > know.
                    >
                    > I am now preparing my syllabus for next semester and I think I'll
                    be
                    > focusing more on language [sociolinguistics]. There will still be
                    > quizzes but I would still like to give them at least 2 task-based
                    > projects. Grouping is the only solution that I could think for
                    this
                    > rather huge class. downsizing is out of the question. Any other
                    > solutions? And should I still give them a group grade or
                    individual
                    > grade based on effort [but this doesn't fit in the way we
                    > define 'collaborative work']
                    >
                    > aiden
                  • Maria Albers de Urriola
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                      Hi Aiden,
                      As Daf said in her message, there are many alternatives to have students
                      work collaboratively. Here, at the UC, in the Language Department where I
                      teach, we assign students the task of gathering information after they are
                      grouped, about the topic selectec, for example inventions that have
                      influenced teaching. During the next meeting, they share the information,
                      and report to the whole class their conclusions.
                      For evaluation, they have to handle in an individual portafolio, as well as
                      one with the group conclusions, besides in the interview, wich is individual
                      they have to show their competence in the language thru the knowledge of the
                      different topics investigated and presented to the class.
                      I hope this is of help, from Valencia, Venezuela,
                      Maria Irene

[...]

                      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Help
                      save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
                      'Thanks & Giving.'
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/i8TXDC/5WnJAA/HwKMAA/FeXolB/TM
                    • Dafne
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                        Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:

                        Hi Aiden,

                        I answered your message at 3 am and I forgot to answer this part. What I usually do is that I give individual grades (for the indivual work done on the basis of the information supplied by all the members of the group), and a group grade which is an average of the individuals' grade. In this way, they make sure that each one contributes to the task otherwise their grade will be affected.

                        To build rapport within the group (Groupbuilding) I have each group select a name for their team, a logo and a motto. I have group sheets where they design their own page (it could be a print-out or a page on the web- a wiki, maybe? ) and they keep record of the tasks they have accomplished and the grades they get as individuals and as a group).

                        hope this helps,

                        hugs from humid Caracas,

                        Daf

                        Hi Daf,

                        However, the question remains the same. Do you think students' should receive a group grade or individual grade based on their contribution?

                        I tend to think that group grade fits the teamwork context.

                        Aiden

                        Daf wrote: [snip] You can then give an individual quiz or have each write a summary
                        >with the main ideas contributed by each individual. In this way you
                        >will see who worked and who did not. I usually prepare a checklist
                        >for students to evaluate their own and their peers' engagement in
                        >group work.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • John Hibbs
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                          It would seem to this non-English language teacher that one of the
                          most interesting collaborative (and indididually) projects would be
                          in the area of resume creation and job finding.

                          What makes a good resume? Who wants your skills? How do you get an
                          interview? What letter do you write AFTER the interview? How do you
                          use the interview to get a reference so you can get *another*
                          interview? Who can help who with contacts? What can you do to get an
                          better job within your organization? Could the entire class be built
                          around how to climb the job ladder?

                          At 12:01 PM -0400 1/15/05, Maria Albers de Urriola wrote:
                          >Hi Aiden,
                          >As Daf said in her message, there are many alternatives to have students
                          >work collaboratively. Here, at the UC, in the Language Department where I
                          >teach, we assign students the task of gathering information after they are
                          >grouped, about the topic selectec, for example inventions that have
                          >influenced teaching. During the next meeting, they share the information,
                          >and report to the whole class their conclusions.
                          >For evaluation, they have to handle in an individual portafolio, as well as
                          >one with the group conclusions, besides in the interview, wich is individual
                          >they have to show their competence in the language thru the knowledge of the
                          >different topics investigated and presented to the class.
                          >I hope this is of help, from Valencia, Venezuela,
                          >Maria Irene
                        • Maria Jordano
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                            H Aiden,

                            I perfectly understand what you feel.... I felt
                            something rather similar. I set up two projects this
                            year:

                            One for my elementary level:
                            http://www.uclm.es/profesorado/maria.jordano/musica/music%20project.htm

                            and the other for the Intermediate one:
                            http://www.uclm.es/profesorado/maria.jordano/lenguas/reading.htm

                            Though I explained one and more time all they had to
                            do and I told them that thay had to work in group,
                            there had been very different results....

                            In the musics project, there have been some groups
                            where every single component has focussed on a
                            different thing, so that they have been working alone
                            all the time....

                            The other has been something similar to chaos... I
                            suggested them to choose a book per each group, and
                            there were group with the problem of not knowing what
                            to choose.... There is one where every member has
                            decided to read a boof of the same author and then
                            sharing!!

                            Obviously I cannot evaluate in the same way all of
                            them.... and them have realised it is nor fair....
                            Then I have decided to evaluate individually to those
                            students who have been working on their own and with a
                            group score, to the REAL groups....

                            As you said,it is a matter of culture.... I think we
                            must be patient and expect a gradual change till real
                            cooperatiove way of doing. This is difficult, because
                            we don't have that tradition here in Spain, but
                            sometime we will get it! I hope.... The most important
                            thing to me is that my students are learning by
                            working on their own. No matter if collaboratelly or
                            individually.... but gradually we will get it!

                            Keep in touch!

                            Mar�a

                            =====
                            www.mariajordano.com

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Dafne
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                              Dear Maria,

                              Cooperative group work takes building students' skills. Before engaging your students in group work, they need to go through all the process of what it is working in groups. And teachers to know themselves all the process of what cooperative work is. Cooperative Learning is an approach to teaching and most teachers just ask their students to get into groups and do such and such. The product is important, but to get a product you have to go through all the process

                              And taking on John's message about preparing an online workshop on CL. I designed and delivered workshops about CL for language teachers in Venezuela, during the 80's and 90's, and I keep using CL in my f2f and online/blended courses, but have never done an online workshop about CL, maybe I will take your suggestion because CL needs to be "lived" not just talked about it ;-)

                              hugs from rainy and humid Caracas (sticky)
                              Daf

                              Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...> wrote:

                              H Aiden,

[...]

                            • IWTSE Administrator
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                                Hi Everyone,
                                I've just been asked to conduct a 10-day English
                                Conversation class for four Korean students (ages
                                12-14) visiting our area in an exchange program. They
                                have a good grammar background but almost no
                                conversation skills.

                                Can anyone give me some ideas of activities and topics
                                for such a short-term conversation class?

                                Many thanks,
                                Rosalie

                                =====
                                http://www.iwanttospeakenglish.com
                                Study ESL with a live teacher online.
                              • Aiden Yeh
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                                  Hello Webheads,

                                  Thanks for contributing your ideas; your comments and suggestions provide different perspectives on how to tackle my dilemma. Based on everything that has been said so far, this is what I plan to do the next time I assign group projects:

                                  1. Individual grade based on individual contribution to the task and a group grade which is an average of the students' individual grades.

                                  2. Grades should be based on the criteria specified on the rubric

                                  3. Students also work on their group assignment in class [for a period only- not the entire class session]. I could also take this opportunity to have the group-teacher meeting.

                                  4. In connection to #3, groups should also present/show me a project development report, a presentation of records of the completed tasks, grades, filled-in rubrics.

                                  [I did #3 and 4 with my Oral training 1 class on their tele-drama assigment, but I have only 16 students here, I've got 50 in my language and culture!]

                                  That's about it. But the crux of the matter still boils down to guiding students on learning how and what it takes to work in groups, and this should be done during the first few weeks of class before assigning projects [like what Daf said]. I would like to do some reading on this, any books or articles online? I know that the EVO2005 is offering a session on this, CLandGE, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CLandGE/ I'm helping the moderator, George Jacobs, with his YG, I might just learn more than I thought.

                                  Thanks people.

                                  Hugs,

                                  Aiden
                                  p.s.
                                  What will I do without the webheads?
                                  this will be put on my blog as part of my tpd thing ;-)

                                • Dafne
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 15, 2005
                                    Great helpful summary, Aiden :-)

                                    Kagan (even though too much commercialized in the last years) has books with tons of activities and ideas on how to use CL. Anyway, here are some links with good stuff:

                                    cooperative learning techniques http://www.mathgoodies.com/articles/coop_learning.html

                                    Jig-saw classroom: Overview of the technique: http://www.jigsaw.org/overview.htm

                                    Jig-saw in 10 easy steps: http://www.jigsaw.org/steps.htm

                                    A guide to CL: http://www.pgcps.pg.k12.md.us/~elc/learning1.html

                                    Enhancing Learning�and More!�Through Cooperative Learning
                                    http://www.idea.ksu.edu/papers/Idea_Paper_38.pdf.

                                    Cooperative Learning Structures http://www.utexas.edu/academic/cte/hewlettcls.html

                                    Cooperative/Collaborative Structures Explicitly Designed To Promote Positive Interdependence Among Group Members
                                    http://www.cat.ilstu.edu/teaching_tips/handouts/cooperative.shtml

                                    Cooperative Learning in Higher Education http://clte.asu.edu/active/clinhighed.pdf.

                                    The 2 pdf ones are very comprehensive :-)

                                    hugs,
                                    Daf

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 16, 2005
                                      Hi Rosalie,
                                      James D. Brown, D. Nunan, recommend to make a needs analysis prior to the
                                      starting of any course, so one knows what are the real needs of the
                                      students. If you have this group e-mails, why don't you ask them what they
                                      want to talk about? Motivation would help them feel more confident when
                                      expressing their ideas about a topic they know the content and which they
                                      like.
                                      Greetings from Valencia, Venezuela,
                                      Maria Irene

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 16, 2005
                                        Hi Rosalie,

                                        Here is a link to a voice-video project for EFL/ESL learners, called
                                        Lets Talk:

                                        http://duber.com/LetsTalk/index.php

                                        I have used with my EFL freshmen and I they liked it. And you are
                                        welcome to view the CALL lesson I've created, integrating the
                                        project, Lets Talk, at this URL:

                                        http://alothman-b.tripod.com/week-4-2.htm

                                        Hope this is helpful,

                                        Buth