Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: (teach) RE:Teaching Teachers

  • salem mudallel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2005
      Dear Vance and other colleagues
      The Faculty of Science, where I work as a coordinator of English, consists of ten departments. All the students are required to take a course of English for two semesters for two hours a week. Their English bacground is almost pre-intermediate. The prescribed textbook for these students consists of a number of topics of two or three paragraphs each, along with vocabulary and grammatical exercises. Each topic deals with a particular subject such as metreology, animals plants and so on.
      The problem I faced that students are not intrested to the subjects which they feel that they are irrelevant to their own specialization. To teach the students of each specialization separately is quite impossible for the shortage of the teachers and class rooms. We are only three teacher and the number of the students is more than a thousand.
      I'd like to tell you about an idea that I'm thinking about these days. What about presenting topics about what I call English for General Scientific Purpose' (EGSP)? That is, to teach them topics on general science such as the scientific method, the scientific thinking: induction and deduction, testing ideas, constructing and testing the hypothesis, the nature of the scientific proof, the scientific theory and Limitations of the Scientific Method, etc.
      I appreciate any help you give
      Salem

      vstevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
      I was in a similar situation in Tunisia recently, had to put on a course but
      couldn't get directives before hand, most likely because they weren't really
      known, and what can they 'know', it's a whole new world?

      Anyway, this is what I did:
      http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/papers/tunisia2004/mahdia.htm

      Vance

      At 12:26 PM +1100 1/9/05, Dee Bond wrote:
      > >I am so pleased this subject came up. I am still 'on holiday' in
      Australia,
      > >returning to China in a week, and have been 'told' that when I return,
      > >within one week I am giving a course to some Chinese teachers! As I am
      'on
      > >holiday' I didn't want to start working on a course 'plan' so to speak,
      > >apart from which I've not been 'told' what the aims and objectives are of
      > >the course (I don't think they know! .. so I shall be doing my usual "on
      the
      > >board" needs analysis for the first lesson).
      > >
      > >But any ideas to make it interesting would help. I have no idea how many
      > >teachers I will be teaching, what their English level is, nothing. This
      is
      > >the norm, I know.
      > >
      > >I've taught methodology to native English speakers, that's not a problem.
      > >But putting the 'message' across (if that's what they want!), to Chinese
      > >teachers (and the Chinese English teachers I've met so far have a very
      low -
      > >elementary at best - level of English), will be a challenge.
      > >
      > >cheers
      > >Dee Bond

    • salem mudallel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2005

        vstevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
        I was in a similar situation in Tunisia recently, had to put on a course but
        couldn't get directives before hand, most likely because they weren't really
        known, and what can they 'know', it's a whole new world?

        Anyway, this is what I did:
        http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/papers/tunisia2004/mahdia.htm

        Vance

        At 12:26 PM +1100 1/9/05, Dee Bond wrote:
        > >I am so pleased this subject came up. I am still 'on holiday' in
        Australia,
        > >returning to China in a week, and have been 'told' that when I return,
        > >within one week I am giving a course to some Chinese teachers! As I am
        'on
        > >holiday' I didn't want to start working on a course 'plan' so to speak,
        > >apart from which I've not been 'told' what the aims and objectives are of
        > >the course (I don't think they know! .. so I shall be doing my usual "on
        the
        > >board" needs analysis for the first lesson).
        > >
        > >But any ideas to make it interesting would help. I have no idea how many
        > >teachers I will be teaching, what their English level is, nothing. This
        is
        > >the norm, I know.
        > >
        > >I've taught methodology to native English speakers, that's not a problem.
        > >But putting the 'message' across (if that's what they want!), to Chinese
        > >teachers (and the Chinese English teachers I've met so far have a very
        low -
        > >elementary at best - level of English), will be a challenge.
        > >
        > >cheers
        > >Dee Bond

      • salem mudallel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12, 2005
[...]
          I'd like to tell you about an idea that I'm thinking about these days. What about presenting topics about what I call English for General Scientific Purposes' (EGSP)? That is, to teach them topics on general science such as the scientific method, the scientific thinking: induction and deduction, testing ideas, constructing and testing the hypothesis, the nature of the scientific proof, the scientific theory and Limitations of the Scientific Method, etc.
          I appreciate any help you give
          Salem

          e-learning <chris.schneider@...> wrote:
          Hi John and all webheads,

          I read your contribution with great interest and have a bad conscience not to have contributed to other people's input so far.
          I must admit I was a bit 'overwhelmed' when reading about all the blogs and had no clue what they actually were. I looked at and admired the pages I was linked to and then Vance enlightened me with his paper. I found on Bee's interesting 'blog' that she obviously has used KeeBoo which I have just started creating and working with last year. So I felt I did not really have much to say. If anyone is interested in my first keebook you'll find it under www.e-learning-international.com under news. On this website you can also find an 'abacus demo' showing the platform I have been working on for several years.

          I have been training trainers for a couple of years now. In the adult education sector, where I work, there seems to be an overload of trained trainers, but not enough learners interested in learning online. Some people in companies complain that they work at computers all day and don't want to spend their spare time learning at computers. This is what most of them say BEFORE actually taking part in an online course. As soon as they have started, we can easily win them and make them realise how communicative and interesting online learning can be and with the right blend, that it can really be challenging and most effective. However, you are addressing costs.
          This seems to me like one of the biggest problems and difficult to solve.
          The teachers we train feel that they are better qualified than ordinary teachers and want more money for running an online course than they'd get for a face-to- face course. Online learning in my view becomes a more individualised learning with more intensive tuition, which requires more tutor time.
          When you then add the costs for hosting a platform, books CD-ROMS and what have you, online learning can become quite costly.
          I don't know what your experience is in this respect. Of course there are free resources on the net like Yahoo messenger, Nicenet and others, but I don't think you can use them when you have to charge for the course.

          Presently I am running an English course for 16 young woman who are trained to return to their jobs after a break ( bringing up the children etc.)
          Among other things - like word and excell etc. they have to learn 6-8 hours English every week. The course started in November and finishes in May.
          Some of the students will finish the course with the Cambridge BEC Preliminary examination and others with the European English Language Certificate.
          The material I'm using is some online course material (digital publishing) which comes in a package for all different levels and I picked A2 and B1 (Common European Framework). http://www.digitalpublishing.de/international/international-set.htm
          In addition to that there are face-to-face sessions every second week.
          We are also using an ordinary course book - which is used in the face-to-face sessions, which are run by a different tutor (I'm living 800 km away from where the students are based). This is not ideal, but OK.
          I am using the Course Book for inspiration, transferring some activities into collaborative tasks. (Three or 4 each week).
          I have devided the group into 3 small groups of 5 and 6. This is to prevent people from information overload. The participants have also got a room where they can ALL communicate.

          In addition to the asynchronous sessions we are planning to integrate some synchronous sessions. The institution is working with 'Centra'. I have worked with this system before and am quite familiar with it. I think it doesn't differ much from Elluminate?

          One of the most important things I have found as an onliner over the past 8 years is that it is essential to be in the position of a learner as often as you can. This way I've learned a lot about NOT to do things:-)

          I'm afraid, John, this did not really quite answer your question? But at the moment I'm not sure where to attend what. Maybe I could join Bee with blogging, but I am also very interested in online methodology and course design.

          Kind regards... and a happy new year to everyone!
          Christel

          On this list, and on others, the subject of earning more money -
          which boils down to providing more value, either perceptively or in
          reality - than "just" teaching English to a relatively small number
          of persons. Recently I made some comments in that regard (If
          interested in same, send me a note). Those comments did *not* include
          the challenge - and opportunity - of training Chinese teachers to
          teach ESL.

          This is the focus of what http://www.dyned.com does. It also seems
          the most promising for those native language speakers who may wish to
          "go to the next level". I would be interested in learning how many
          are interested in "training" and/or how many have some experience in
          same?

          I hope this attracts as much interest as does the forum that Bee is
          conducting re: blogging and ESL/EFL. In fact, I think the two are
          intimately connectable. Thus, I am sending this note to
          Webheads Group
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads/>

          and, "Bee's" Weblogging Group
          <tp://groups.yahoo.com/group/weblogging/>

          "teach" Group
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TEFLChina/>

          Last thought - probably for Bee - perhaps we should take a single
          topic and make it the focus of the Webblogging *content* effort?
          Perhaps Dee Bond would like to join the blogging group and for
          purposes of attracting posts to a "training" blog? Or, would this end
          up mixing apples and oranges in a way that both get bruised?

          John Hibbs
          http://www.bfranklin.edu

          At 12:26 PM +1100 1/9/05, Dee Bond wrote:
          >I am so pleased this subject came up. I am still 'on holiday' in Australia,
          >returning to China in a week, and have been 'told' that when I return,
          >within one week I am giving a course to some Chinese teachers! As I am 'on
          >holiday' I didn't want to start working on a course 'plan' so to speak,
          >apart from which I've not been 'told' what the aims and objectives are of
          >the course (I don't think they know! .. so I shall be doing my usual "on the
          >board" needs analysis for the first lesson).
          >
          >But any ideas to make it interesting would help. I have no idea how many
          >teachers I will be teaching, what their English level is, nothing. This is
          >the norm, I know.
          >
          >I've taught methodology to native English speakers, that's not a problem.
          >But putting the 'message' across (if that's what they want!), to Chinese
          >teachers (and the Chinese English teachers I've met so far have a very low -
          >elementary at best - level of English), will be a challenge.
          >
          >cheers
          >Dee Bond

        • bwjdieu
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12, 2005
            Hello Salem,
            There is a great project which may be of interest to you called Science Across the World :
            http://www.scienceacross.org/

            Ruth Vilmi has a site with resources:
            http://www.hut.fi/~rvilmi/EST/

            I here you may find some more ideas:
            http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/llsintro.htm
            http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/envir.htm

            Hope this is of help.
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            http://members.tripod.com/the_english_dept/index.html
            Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
          • salem mudallel
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
              Hi Bee
              I'd like to thank you very much before I go over the links.
              Salem, Libya

              bwjdieu <bwjdieu@...> wrote:
              Hello Salem,
              There is a great project which may be of interest to you called Science Across the World :
              http://www.scienceacross.org/

              Ruth Vilmi has a site with resources:
              http://www.hut.fi/~rvilmi/EST/

              I here you may find some more ideas:
              http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/llsintro.htm
              http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/envir.htm

              Hope this is of help.
              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              Barbara Dieu
              http://members.tripod.com/the_english_dept/index.html
              Lyc�e Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

            • Barbara Dieu
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
                It's a pleasure to be of help Salem. I hope your students will enjoy them.
                Warm regards from Brazil,
                Bee

                Barbara Dieu