Now, I wish I had thought of that...

  • Robert Brannan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
      Wow! Here is a idea, I really wish I had thought of. David Warlick
      has created something called the "Blogmeister" that allows the
      instructor to set up a blogging account for his students. Not only
      can the Instructor Blog but so can the students. The real "catch"
      here is that the student's blogging does not appear until after the
      instructor has approved it. Ergo, no naughty tales or things that
      ought not be said, and maybe even a chance for language instructors to
      correct mistakes before they go into print. It would certainly give
      students a better chance at making a good impression on the readers.

      http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/

      I didn't see anything about fees. If anyone uses it, let me know how
      it worked out.

      elderbob
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
        Hi, Bob!

        Happy New Year!

        Nice to hear from you! Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into it over the
        weekend. It's just what I'd like to have.

        Take care,

        Teresa

        > http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/
        > elderbob
      • Dafne
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
          Hi Bob, long time no see :-)

          I am using LiveJournal and it has a feature for adding communities (e.g.your students). I saw the feature and I created a community for Webheads to join. You can have members join freely, or you may want to approve each request. You can also set it so each message needs your approval or not. I am not sure of how it works, but here is the link:

          http://www.livejournal.com/community/webheads/

          You will find this message:

          Below are the 1 most recent journal entries recorded in Webheads in Action's LiveJournal, click on the Webheads in action link and you will be taken to a page where there is a link to join the community, then you will be asked to register in LiveJournal to be able to be part of the community. That's all I know so far, If you are game, try it out and let us know what follows ;-)

          I don't remember if I set it up for members to be approved, I guess I did (hmmm, my memory is failing).

          See you,

          Daf

          Robert Brannan <elderbob@...> wrote:

          Wow! Here is a idea, I really wish I had thought of. David Warlick
          has created something called the "Blogmeister" that allows the
          instructor to set up a blogging account for his students. Not only
          can the Instructor Blog but so can the students. The real "catch"
          here is that the student's blogging does not appear until after the
          instructor has approved it. Ergo, no naughty tales or things that
          ought not be said, and maybe even a chance for language instructors to
          correct mistakes before they go into print. It would certainly give
          students a better chance at making a good impression on the readers.

          http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/

          I didn't see anything about fees. If anyone uses it, let me know how
          it worked out.

          elderbob

        • Buthaina
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
            Thanks, Bob; "Blogmeister" really deserves the "Wow"! And, like
            Tere, it's just what I'd like to have, too.

            Best regards,
            Buth

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Brannan"
            <elderbob@e...> wrote:

            > Wow! Here is a idea, I really wish I had thought of. David Warlick
            > has created something called the "Blogmeister" that allows the
            > instructor to set up a blogging account for his students. Not only
            > can the Instructor Blog but so can the students. The real "catch"
            > here is that the student's blogging does not appear until after the
            > instructor has approved it. Ergo, no naughty tales or things that
            > ought not be said, and maybe even a chance for language
            instructors to
            > correct mistakes before they go into print. It would certainly
            give
            > students a better chance at making a good impression on the
            readers.

            > http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/
            >
            > I didn't see anything about fees. If anyone uses it, let me know
            how
            > it worked out.
            >
            > elderbob
          • John Hibbs
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
              At 12:30 PM +0000 1/8/05, Buthaina wrote:
              >Thanks, Bob; "Blogmeister" really deserves the "Wow"! And, like
              >Tere, it's just what I'd like to have, too.

              Buth, off-list, the remarks mirror those I sent directly to Elder
              Bob. Wow is *exactly* right.

              Others: If you have not visited -

              ><http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/>

              you should

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                I have just remembered that in 2003 I used schoolblogs (http://www.schoolblogs.com) with my students. In schoolblogs you can also register your whole class, it has a nice layout that students loved, but unfortunately, the server was down when we most needed it. Blogmeister looks great and user-friendly, thanks for the link, Bob :-)

                Daf

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                  Hmm, I have been reading about the registration processs, and it says:

                  "Follow these steps to register your school so that you can register yourself as a BlogMeister teacher:"

                  I do not think we as teachers are entitled to register a blog for our institutions without the previous consent of the authorities. Maybe I should ask for an appointment with the rector of my university to ask: can I open a blog for the university? He might not even know what a blog is :-(

                  What do you all think?

                  Daf

                  Robert Brannan <elderbob@...> wrote:

                  Wow! Here is a idea, I really wish I had thought of. David Warlick
                  has created something called the "Blogmeister" that allows the
                  instructor to set up a blogging account for his students. Not only
                  can the Instructor Blog but so can the students. The real "catch"
                  here is that the student's blogging does not appear until after the
                  instructor has approved it. Ergo, no naughty tales or things that
                  ought not be said, and maybe even a chance for language instructors to
                  correct mistakes before they go into print. It would certainly give
                  students a better chance at making a good impression on the readers.

                  http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/

                  I didn't see anything about fees. If anyone uses it, let me know how
                  it worked out.

                  elderbob

                • Fernanda Rodrigues
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                    Hi, Daf
                    Have you read: http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/blogmeister_instructions.pdf
                    It seems we need a school pass code, and only then we can register as
                    teachers.
                    As for your your question, I interpret that just as a reference to the
                    school where we work. I wouldn't feel compelled to ask for permission or
                    even inform my school headmaster. As you say, he might not even know
                    what a blog is.
                    Fernanda

                    On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 07:27:27 -0800 (PST)
                    Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:

                    > Hmm, I have been reading about the registration processs, and it says:
                    >
                    > "Follow these steps to register your school so that you can register yourself as a BlogMeister teacher:"
                    >
                    > I do not think we as teachers are entitled to register a blog for our institutions without the previous consent of the authorities. Maybe I should ask for an appointment with the rector of my university to ask: can I open a blog for the university? He might not even know what a blog is :-(
                    >
                    > What do you all think?
                    >
                    > Daf
                    >
                    > Robert Brannan <elderbob@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Wow! Here is a idea, I really wish I had thought of. David Warlick
                    > has created something called the "Blogmeister" that allows the
                    > instructor to set up a blogging account for his students. Not only
                    > can the Instructor Blog but so can the students. The real "catch"
                    > here is that the student's blogging does not appear until after the
                    > instructor has approved it. Ergo, no naughty tales or things that
                    > ought not be said, and maybe even a chance for language instructors to
                    > correct mistakes before they go into print. It would certainly give
                    > students a better chance at making a good impression on the readers.
                    >
                    > http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/
                    >
                    > I didn't see anything about fees. If anyone uses it, let me know how
                    > it worked out.
                    >
                    > elderbob
                    >

                    > For more information:
                    >
                    > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                    > For more information:
                    >
                    > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Fernanda Rodrigues
                    Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                    Setúbal
                    http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
                  • Dafne
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                      Yes, Fern, but now they say you can register your own school : Now You can Register Your Own School: http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/ and they give the instructions to do so, and they even say at the bottom of the page:
                      "Again, feel free to share this information with other educators and through education mailing lists. But do exercise caution to prevent students from learning how to set up schools"

                      So, I really do not know how to go about this. if there should be only a code per institution, this code this code should be the institution's not your personal code. They say this:

                      "After you have completed the form and clicked the submit button, BlogMeister will reload with a message in yellow replacing the school form. This message will include your school's access code. Write this code down and then share it with other teachers in your school who may be interested in experimenting with blog writing"

                      This might be possible in a small school but not in larger institutions, like the one I work for.

                      Hmmmm

                      Daf

                      Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:

                      > Hmm, I have been reading about the registration processs, and it says:
                      >
                      > "Follow these steps to register your school so that you can register yourself as a BlogMeister teacher:"
                      >
                      > I do not think we as teachers are entitled to register a blog for our institutions without the previous consent of the authorities. Maybe I should ask for an appointment with the rector of my university to ask: can I open a blog for the university? He might not even know what a blog is :-(
                      >
                      > What do you all think?
                      >
                      > Daf
                      >
                      > Robert Brannan <elderbob@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Wow! Here is a idea, I really wish I had thought of. David Warlick
                      > has created something called the "Blogmeister" that allows the
                      > instructor to set up a blogging account for his students. Not only
                      > can the Instructor Blog but so can the students. The real "catch"
                      > here is that the student's blogging does not appear until after the
                      > instructor has approved it. Ergo, no naughty tales or things that
                      > ought not be said, and maybe even a chance for language instructors to
                      > correct mistakes before they go into print. It would certainly give
                      > students a better chance at making a good impression on the readers.
                      >
                      > http://landmark-project.com/blogmeister/
                      >
                      > I didn't see anything about fees. If anyone uses it, let me know how
                      > it worked out.
                      >
                      > elderbob
                      >

                      > For more information:
                      >
                      > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                      > For more information:
                      >
                      > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Fernanda Rodrigues
                      Escola Secund�ria Sebasti�o da Gama
                      Set�bal

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                        Daf; I may be reading it in a very informal way, but I think it is a way
                        to avoid having to email David Warlick asking for a school pass code
                        (which I just did, cause I didn't notice this link : "Now You can
                        Register Your Own School"
                        http://www.landmark-project.com/blogmeister/index.php?displ
                        ay=blogmeister&id=85&panel=)

                        I don't think anyone will matter at my school if I register it, but I
                        cannot decide about yours.
                        Fernanda

                        On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:20:59 -0800 (PST)
                        Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > Fernanda Rodrigues
                        > Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                        > Setúbal
                        > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
                        >

                        > For more information:
                        >
                        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                        > For more information:
                        >
                        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                      • Maria Albers de Urriola
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 16, 2005
                          Hi everyone,
                          After visiting LiveJournal, I found out that it is an open source software,
                          as Lynux is. I consider this important as the government in my country,
                          according to the presidential decreet 3390, in a term of two years is going
                          to change the platforms in all the public offices and schools changed to
                          Lynux.
                          Greetings from sunny and warm Valencia, Venezuela,
                          Maria Irene

[...]

                          save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
                          'Thanks & Giving.'
                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/i8TXDC/5WnJAA/HwKMAA/FeXolB/TM