Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Podcasting - Warning Long Post

  • Eric Baber
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2005
      Hi John and all,

      > Second, the use of
      > podcasting for English language instruction, especially for those not
      > in the USA and/or those who do not have broadband connectivity to the
      > Net, might very well be a big, big, big challenge and hardly worth
      > the effort.

      I don't think it'll be particularly challenging, and doesn't really require
      that much bandwidth if you're "pod"casting voice only. Podcasting is really
      webcasting which has already been done using RealMedia and WindowsMedia
      tools for a while; the only thing unique about podcasting is that it's being
      done with an iPod.

      Andy says that his five-minute podcast is 5Mb in size, which seems very big
      if it was voice-only (which, by the sounds of it, it was). There must be a
      setting somewhere that reduces the amount of bandwidth used and therefore
      reduces the filesize that's produced. Yes, the quality will be reduced, but
      you don't need to stream at 64kbps in full stereo for a voice-only webcast