Report from the BelNATE Conference – day 2 (a personal perspective)

  • Norbella
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2004
      Yesterday, I had the opportunity to participate in my first
      synchronous web conference. It was held in a conference room of
      Learning Times. This presentation was part of the 6th International
      BelNATE-IATEFL Conference 'Teaching English as a World Language in
      the Information Age". There were about 12 people in the computer
      lab of the Minsk State Linguistics University and several webheads
      from different parts of the world.

      Teresa Almeida d'Eca (Portugal), Barbara Dieu (Brazil), and Buthaina
      Al Othman (Kuwait) did a very well prepared training on blogs. They
      explained what blogs are; their historical background; some blogging
      jargon; basic characteristics; pedagogical base; advantages of using
      blogs in ESL/EFL classes; how they can be created and used; and
      things to consider when creating them. They also provided a useful
      taxonomy and perhaps most important, each presenter showed real
      examples of how they're using blogs.

      Although a newbie on web conferencing, I felt at ease during all the
      presentation; all participants very friendly, and the different
      tools in the conference room were not difficult to use. The
      conference provider was Elluminate. I was amazed by its different
      tools: It has a pubic whiteboard that all participants can use
      (people even drew pictures of themselves, as part of the
      introduction-How nice!). There is also a text chat place, which we
      used to write comments or ask and answer questions. Participants
      have also the opportunity to use a voice chat. Something that
      called my attention was the fact Elluminate offers presenters the
      chance to take all participants to different websites.

      The session was recorded and is available now at:
      http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=570543

      This report will be also posted in my personal blog:
      http://mylearningblog.blogspot.com/

      Cheers,

      Norbella
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
        hello to Norbella,

        I was so happy I could help you in advance with some
        basic Elluminate training some days ago, and felt we
        had used our time wisely when I read about your
        positive experiences as a first timer :-)

        I went to read your blog and added a comment to your
        excellent Belnate conference report at
        http://mylearningblog.blogspot.com/

        yours, Sus

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FeXolB/TM

        > For more information:

        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer
        > and any other extraneous text from the reply -
        > Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this
        > footer and any other extraneous text from the reply
        > - Thanks!!
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com