Call for Webheads YM meeting with session in Guatemala

  • rprosenberg@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      Greetings all!

      First off, Daf, you inspire me! I very much enjoyed the energy sent from your work with the teachers in Medellin. I enjoyed it so much that I will be using your session as an example of how envigorating it can be to connect and share and, well, have the experience that is so common for webheads--sharing, exchanging ideas, scaffolding, having F.U.N and other craziness.

      In fact Daf and her teachers and a chat with Vance (at 3am his time!) have also given me the impetus to decide to try to incorporate a short YM conference to illustrate WiA into three sessions I am doing here in Guatemala. It has to be short as I have a lot of material to cover for the administrators and teachers. I would like to know if any webheadies would be available to connect for a voice and video YM conference on the following days/times. It would be ideal if someone were able to connect with me in a conference *before* my session starts and leave the connection open (and multitask with other work or folks while they wait). I have a number of sound and video files as part of the presentation, so I won't have much time to tinker with connecting once the sessions start and can't interrupt whenever.

      Tomorrow (!) is my first session. It is a challenging group--70+ directors of binational centers from all over latin america. A challenge because many are at the point of making decisions on whether to invest or how to invest in technology (this is the kind of sesssion where it would be wonderful if the technology actually worked). My session is on Educational Technologies: New Trends. If you would like to stop in and say hello--10 or `15 minutes-- I will start my session at 6:30pm UTC (12:30 noon time here in Guata) and run for about an hour. The ideal would be to connect with me about 6:15. I will leave my webcam on so you can see the audience. An idea number would be 2 or 3 as I have a very small screen to work with. Please set your image size to small. I intend on making the YM session towards the end of the talk.

      My session on Wednesday the 3rd will start at 9:45pm UTC/GMC (3:45pm Guata time). This session is on Activating classroom activities with online tools and multimedia. The audience will be anywhere from 30-70 teachers.

      The session on Thursday the 4th will also start at 9:45pm UTC/GMC (3:45pm Guata time). This session is on the use of online tools for teaching English (more of an overview session to introduce teachers to some principle resources).

      One more thing: I have no access to the Internet outside of the room for presentations, so I may not be able to respond to questions as there are back-to-back presentations all week (right now I am using a hijacked connection and may get kicked off any minute {:-{>}).

      Gracias y Saludos!

      Rick Rosenberg
      At the ABLA and BNC (NTC) conferences in Guatemala City.
      https://www.iga.edu/main.php?parent_id=0&id_area=89
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
        Hi Rick,

        sorry, I was away all day, and came back online at
        the time you suggested - but I was busy with Daf's
        research methods students in LT when Elizabeth was
        leading a discussion( (about research questions and
        choice of methods for doing TESOL related reseach).
        We're preparing Sergei's Belnate workshop tomorrow and
        Thursday, but it will end before your sessions begin.
        I don't have a working webcam (in yahooo or
        elsewhere), and as i'm working on a mac, no voice in
        YM either.

        But in case you need me, call me - in YM I'm
        susannenyrop

        yours, Sus in Denmark

        PS we might go to my office at LT if you have the time
        to do so. I've got voice there :-)

        > My session on Wednesday the 3rd will start at
        > 9:45pm UTC/GMC (3:45pm Guata time). This session is
        > on Activating classroom activities with online tools
        > and multimedia. The audience will be anywhere from
        > 30-70 teachers.
        >

        > The session on Thursday the 4th will also start at
        > 9:45pm UTC/GMC (3:45pm Guata time). This session is
        > on the use of online tools for teaching English
        > (more of an overview session to introduce teachers
        > to some principle resources).
        >

        > One more thing: I have no access to the Internet
        > outside of the room for presentations, so I may not
        > be able to respond to questions as there are
        > back-to-back presentations all week (right now I am
        > using a hijacked connection and may get kicked off
        > any minute {:-{>}).

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Norbella
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
          Hi everyone,

          Thanks for letting me be part of this community and sharing all your
          expertise with new people in the area.

          I'm a new member, although I had once met some of you in a couple of
          Sunday meetings at TappedIn.

          Rick, I'm interested in participating on Thursday (2:45 p.m.
          Colombia time), but it'd be more as an spectator as I don't have
          much experience. Would it be all right? This event would sort of
          train me for more active future participation.

          Norbella

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, rprosenberg@m... wrote:
          > Greetings all!
          >
          > First off, Daf, you inspire me! I very much enjoyed the energy
          sent from your work with the teachers in Medellin. I enjoyed it so
          much that I will be using your session as an example of how
          envigorating it can be to connect and share and, well, have the
          experience that is so common for webheads--sharing, exchanging
          ideas, scaffolding, having F.U.N and other craziness.

          > In fact Daf and her teachers and a chat with Vance (at 3am his
          time!) have also given me the impetus to decide to try to
          incorporate a short YM conference to illustrate WiA into three
          sessions I am doing here in Guatemala. It has to be short as I have
          a lot of material to cover for the administrators and teachers. I
          would like to know if any webheadies would be available to connect
          for a voice and video YM conference on the following days/times. It
          would be ideal if someone were able to connect with me in a
          conference *before* my session starts and leave the connection open
          (and multitask with other work or folks while they wait). I have a
          number of sound and video files as part of the presentation, so I
          won't have much time to tinker with connecting once the sessions
          start and can't interrupt whenever.

          > Tomorrow (!) is my first session. It is a challenging group--70+
          directors of binational centers from all over latin america. A
          challenge because many are at the point of making decisions on
          whether to invest or how to invest in technology (this is the kind
          of sesssion where it would be wonderful if the technology actually
          worked). My session is on Educational Technologies: New Trends. If
          you would like to stop in and say hello--10 or `15 minutes-- I will
          start my session at 6:30pm UTC (12:30 noon time here in Guata) and
          run for about an hour. The ideal would be to connect with me about
          6:15. I will leave my webcam on so you can see the audience. An idea
          number would be 2 or 3 as I have a very small screen to work with.
          Please set your image size to small. I intend on making the YM
          session towards the end of the talk.

          > My session on Wednesday the 3rd will start at 9:45pm UTC/GMC
          (3:45pm Guata time). This session is on Activating classroom
          activities with online tools and multimedia. The audience will be
          anywhere from 30-70 teachers.

          > The session on Thursday the 4th will also start at 9:45pm
          UTC/GMC (3:45pm Guata time). This session is on the use of online
          tools for teaching English (more of an overview session to introduce
          teachers to some principle resources).

          > One more thing: I have no access to the Internet outside of the
          room for presentations, so I may not be able to respond to questions
          as there are back-to-back presentations all week (right now I am
          using a hijacked connection and may get kicked off any minute {:-
          {>}).

          > Gracias y Saludos!
          >

          > Rick Rosenberg
          > At the ABLA and BNC (NTC) conferences in Guatemala City.
          > https://www.iga.edu/main.php?parent_id=0&id_area=89
        • CJones
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
            Hi, Rick,

            I met you Sunday in a VERY brief session with Vance Stevens.

            I'll try to join you briefly today from my office computer. I don't
            have a webcam running from here. I need to leave 15 minutes after your
            starting time. Don't worry if you don't have time to include me.
            Tomorrow I'll have more time.

            I sent you a YM message to add you to my YM friends. My Yahoo ID is
            edtec2002.

            Chris Jones

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
              Welcome Norbella,

              we already met and talked in Tapped In earlier; so I
              know you're in Columbia. Thank you for letting us know
              you're following our activities.

              As our second day in the Belnate conference is
              tomorrow, I thought this was a good occasion for you
              to sit in and follow the session. So when I saw you
              online in YM , I rushed over to see if you were able
              to get to LearningTImes and Elluminate. You could hear
              me well, but we still need to find out some day, why
              your microphone was not working. For an hour to sit in
              tomorrow, just listen and type your eventual questions
              and comments.

              We certainly hope to learn more about you and your
              work here on the community list, and remember to ask
              ahead if you have any questions to share. We are
              constantly learning together.

              yours,

              Sus in Denmark

              This is Norbella�s�intro:

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
                Thanks for this warm welcome message and for the invitation to join
                the conference in Learning Times. I'll see you there later.

                Norbella

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Susanne Nyrop