Re: Report II: from Medellin - The Human touch of CALL -

  • Maria Rendon
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
      Dear Daf,

      Thank you for all the effort and hard work you did in the Congress
      and thank you to all the Webheads that were present... a pity I
      wasn't able to be there online...but lucky me that could meet you Daf!
      in person... and thanks to the organizers of the congress who allowed
      me to join the trip.

      Sus Nyrop, I did give Daf your hug and kiss as promessed :)

      Needless to say, you really put the human touch and showed many young
      teachers how useful for the language learner is to use online
      communitation to enhance their learning and for us teachers to
      collaborate through online communities... a hooray for Webheads...and
      welcome to the new ones that Vance had to join recently and the ones
      to come.

      A big hug,

      Maria Rendon
      Colombia.

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dafne <dygonza@y...>
      wrote:
      > Dear All,
      >
      > Since the conference was over yesterday I had not had the chance to
      connect to Internet to give you a final report on the event, after
      the successful beginning with the 3 workshops on Friday.

      > My plenary was to be one day before Halloween, and one ghost seems
      to have been around me. In my previous report, I mentioned how the CD
      I brought from Caracas with my PPT could not be recognized by any
      computer here, and that I asked Arnold to send me a copy to my e-mail
      box, and it was saved on a CD, and tried on Friday morning. Well, on
      Saturday morning before my plenary, while trying to copy the ppt from
      the CD to the laptop on the stage (podium), we found, to everybody's
      surprise that the PPT had vanished from the CD. No answer to that
      mystery. Again, the PPT attached to e-mail saved my life :-)

      > The plenary: Yes, the plenary was in Spanish, Teresa (I will make
      the ppt available as soon as I go back to Caracas). I started a bit
      nervous. Talking in front of more than 400 people is not easy. But as
      soon as I started to speak, I realized I was getting people's
      attention, and the rest came easy and in an spontaneous way anding
      from the podium to be closer to the audience. After finishing with
      the PPT, I showed the audience the collage, and explained its
      meaning, emphasizing that this was a real symbol of all I had been
      talking about. You cannot imagine how I felt when,at that moment, the
      whole auditorium started to applaud. Which they did again after I
      finished talking. As I got off the podium, people started to come to
      me to make comments, congratulate me, ask questions about webheads,
      etc. Three of the comments that I still remember very clearly:
      > "you put the human touch to CALL in this conference" "you have
      given us hope, you have shown us it can be done, and we can also do
      it" "your presentations did not finish when we left the room, you
      have opened a door, the beginning of a process"

      > Well, those Webheads who were with me Saturday afternoon, know how
      the 2 workshops were full house. 2 and 3 people for each computer (I
      had 27). Many webheads online to help me too, and needless to say
      that without them this event would not have been what it was. Showing
      my audience that all what I had said was a reality, seeing, talking,
      listening to people located in so many different places and at so
      many different hours, ready to talk to them, is something that
      touches people, and you guys did that, you touched my audience.

      > Let's see if I can remember all those present on Saturday (I was
      really tired and trying to do my best with the rest of the energy I
      had left to deal with a room full of people), so if miss someone,
      please accept my apologies. I remember Teresa, Sus, Elizabeth,
      Maria Irene, Bee, Rita, Maria Jordano, Chris Jones, Wendy, Rick,
      Agata, Jean Michel (who spoke in French with an ex-student of his
      present in the room)

      > It is almost impossible to summarize all the things that happened
      when you guys were there for me, and I was dealing with the
      participants in the room. So, I will just say that this was an
      exciting experience which has contributed to make more teachers aware
      that they can be helped to learn how to use technology with their
      students. In this case, this is very important because most of these
      teachers were coming from public schools (sent by the Ministry of
      Education) and from the elementary and high school levels.

      > Well, but this is not all I have to tell you. On Sunday, when I was
      just waking up, I had a phone call. It was Maria Rendon (Webhead from
      Cali) who had traveled 9 hours by bus (all night) to be with me here
      in Medellin even though she knew I was going out with the organizers
      of the congress who had prepared a tour for all presenters. Well, the
      organizers, when they learned about this, invited Maria to come with
      us on the tour. So, Maria and I were together today, we had a great
      time, and she managed to integrate with the whole group with her nice
      and warm personality. As usual, there will be pictures from this f2f
      encounter with Maria.

      > I cannot finish this report without saying that Tom's and Susan
      Gaer's plenaries (webheads too) were also favorites as well as their
      workshops (full house)

      > Now, I need to go to bed because tomorrow (I mean today) I am
      flying back to Caracas.

      > Thanks again, you are wonderful :-)
      >
      > Daf

    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
        Just bravo Daf. Brilliant. Well done! And thanks for sharing this - warms
        the soul it does.

        - Michael.