Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Report II: from Medellin - Cyber ghosts? - The Human touch of CALL - more

  • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
      Dear Dafne,

      Wow! What a success! From those three comments below, you have truly started
      a healthy and peaceful revolution in education in Colombia! And through you,
      Webheads have made a difference! Hurraaaaahhh! Kudos to you, Daf! :-))

      It does seem like a Halloween ghost or demon was trying to haunt your CD,
      but a Dutch angel saved your life! ;-)

      I'm sure we all felt at a distance that your audiences were glued to the
      screens and to the speakers. There is a special magic when "voices" from
      distant and different parts of the worls are added to a presentation.
      Empathy seems to reach its maximum! And with tools such as LT/Elluminate and
      Alado we seem to be talking side by side, which makes it even more
      "virtually real"! I felt this once again a couple of hours ago when having a
      training session with Michael Coghlan and Australian colleagues at
      Elluminate earlier today. It's fantastic!!!

      How very sweet of Maria Rendon to have travelled so many hours to meet you!
      It shows the true Webhead spirit! And the same goes for the organizers who
      invited her to go along. At this conference there was not only the *human
      touch* or sensitivity in CALL, but also in attitudes and human relations
      that is so important in our everyday life. (Unfortunately there is such lack
      of it!) A very hearty hug to Maria!

      Daf, what else can I say except that I'm very proud of you! And of the
      Webheads! Would we be doing these things if it weren't for this very special
      community?!

      It feels great to be a part of a group of colleagues who are giving a lot of
      themselves and their free time to spread the CALL, TELL, TET, WELL,
      whatever.... word all over the world! Yes, we are making a difference, and
      that also feels great! :-)

      I'm very happy for you, Daf, and I'm very happy for the Webheads!
      Congratulations one and all!!! Yeeeeessss! We did it again! :-)

      Hugs,

      Teresa
    • Maria Rendon
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
        Dear Daf,

        Thank you for all the effort and hard work you did in the Congress
        and thank you to all the Webheads that were present... a pity I
        wasn't able to be there online...but lucky me that could meet you Daf!
        in person... and thanks to the organizers of the congress who allowed
        me to join the trip.

        Sus Nyrop, I did give Daf your hug and kiss as promessed :)

        Needless to say, you really put the human touch and showed many young
        teachers how useful for the language learner is to use online
        communitation to enhance their learning and for us teachers to
        collaborate through online communities... a hooray for Webheads...and
        welcome to the new ones that Vance had to join recently and the ones
        to come.

        A big hug,

        Maria Rendon
        Colombia.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dafne <dygonza@y...>
        wrote:
        > Dear All,
        >
        > Since the conference was over yesterday I had not had the chance to
        connect to Internet to give you a final report on the event, after
        the successful beginning with the 3 workshops on Friday.

        > My plenary was to be one day before Halloween, and one ghost seems
        to have been around me. In my previous report, I mentioned how the CD
        I brought from Caracas with my PPT could not be recognized by any
        computer here, and that I asked Arnold to send me a copy to my e-mail
        box, and it was saved on a CD, and tried on Friday morning. Well, on
        Saturday morning before my plenary, while trying to copy the ppt from
        the CD to the laptop on the stage (podium), we found, to everybody's
        surprise that the PPT had vanished from the CD. No answer to that
        mystery. Again, the PPT attached to e-mail saved my life :-)

        > The plenary: Yes, the plenary was in Spanish, Teresa (I will make
        the ppt available as soon as I go back to Caracas). I started a bit
        nervous. Talking in front of more than 400 people is not easy. But as
        soon as I started to speak, I realized I was getting people's
        attention, and the rest came easy and in an spontaneous way anding
        from the podium to be closer to the audience. After finishing with
        the PPT, I showed the audience the collage, and explained its
        meaning, emphasizing that this was a real symbol of all I had been
        talking about. You cannot imagine how I felt when,at that moment, the
        whole auditorium started to applaud. Which they did again after I
        finished talking. As I got off the podium, people started to come to
        me to make comments, congratulate me, ask questions about webheads,
        etc. Three of the comments that I still remember very clearly:
        > "you put the human touch to CALL in this conference" "you have
        given us hope, you have shown us it can be done, and we can also do
        it" "your presentations did not finish when we left the room, you
        have opened a door, the beginning of a process"

        > Well, those Webheads who were with me Saturday afternoon, know how
        the 2 workshops were full house. 2 and 3 people for each computer (I
        had 27). Many webheads online to help me too, and needless to say
        that without them this event would not have been what it was. Showing
        my audience that all what I had said was a reality, seeing, talking,
        listening to people located in so many different places and at so
        many different hours, ready to talk to them, is something that
        touches people, and you guys did that, you touched my audience.

        > Let's see if I can remember all those present on Saturday (I was
        really tired and trying to do my best with the rest of the energy I
        had left to deal with a room full of people), so if miss someone,
        please accept my apologies. I remember Teresa, Sus, Elizabeth,
        Maria Irene, Bee, Rita, Maria Jordano, Chris Jones, Wendy, Rick,
        Agata, Jean Michel (who spoke in French with an ex-student of his
        present in the room)

        > It is almost impossible to summarize all the things that happened
        when you guys were there for me, and I was dealing with the
        participants in the room. So, I will just say that this was an
        exciting experience which has contributed to make more teachers aware
        that they can be helped to learn how to use technology with their
        students. In this case, this is very important because most of these
        teachers were coming from public schools (sent by the Ministry of
        Education) and from the elementary and high school levels.

        > Well, but this is not all I have to tell you. On Sunday, when I was
        just waking up, I had a phone call. It was Maria Rendon (Webhead from
        Cali) who had traveled 9 hours by bus (all night) to be with me here
        in Medellin even though she knew I was going out with the organizers
        of the congress who had prepared a tour for all presenters. Well, the
        organizers, when they learned about this, invited Maria to come with
        us on the tour. So, Maria and I were together today, we had a great
        time, and she managed to integrate with the whole group with her nice
        and warm personality. As usual, there will be pictures from this f2f
        encounter with Maria.

        > I cannot finish this report without saying that Tom's and Susan
        Gaer's plenaries (webheads too) were also favorites as well as their
        workshops (full house)

        > Now, I need to go to bed because tomorrow (I mean today) I am
        flying back to Caracas.

        > Thanks again, you are wonderful :-)
        >
        > Daf

      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
          Just bravo Daf. Brilliant. Well done! And thanks for sharing this - warms
          the soul it does.

          - Michael.