Blended mix:Daf's workshop, Columbia meet WIA in LT + Doris & friends,Venezuela

  • susannenyrop
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
      What a wonderful way to celebrate the Webheads United!

      This was the day when
      - Daf was presenting Webheads in Action to a Columbian CALL conference audience in
      Medellin, live online, http://www.geocities.com/dafne_gonzalez/eafit/eafit-call.html

      - showing them how to meet Webheads in Alado and yahoo, and then moving over to
      learningtimes in

      - Karen's virtual Elluminate office where she was moderating - same Karen was doing
      an audio blog supported by learningTImes last week from A conference in New York http:/
      /www.puertorican-studies.org/

      - Vance was this week's guest presenter in "The English workshop", about Learning in a
      Social Context, showing us examples of some live occasions where Webheads have met f2f
      (among others showing situations with Daf, Rick, Buth, and myself who were all present in
      the moment!) http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/

      - Doris leading her f2f group of teachers in their study circle in Maracaibo, the basis group
      of The English workshop http://www.doris3meflcenter.bravehost.com/
      theenglishworkshop/

      - Bruce Neubauer, US, (presented a topic in the Englsih workshop some weeks ago)
      - Buth from Kuwait, another workshop participant and presenter http://alothman-
      b.tripod.com/

      - Rick Rosenberg, another webhead that we don't see very often) was joining us from
      somewhere in the US, he is usually in Brazil at http://pages.zoom.co.uk/rickpaul/

      - Renata (Japan) trying to be silent in the middle of the night not to wake up the whole
      family, on the floor on a futon, wrapped un in her bed clothes - this is her gallery http://
      www.tabulas.com/~grankageva/gallery.html

      - Teresa in Portugal - probably the most caring Webheads peer leader we have ever seen,
      always first with answering messages and helping file our pages systematically at http://
      www.malhatlantica.pt/teresadeca/webheads/wia-index.htm ( the only webhead I've met
      f2f, for a whole month when I was in Portugal in 02)

      - Sergei from Minsk, Belarus joined us, and had a parallel chat about his coming hands-on
      workshop where many Webheads will collaborate with his teacher participants in Minsk on
      Wednesday and Thursday http://www.ir.bsu.by/kel/Teachers/presentations.htm

      - Agata (webhead from Przemyzl in Poland), joined us (Meet Agata at http://
      www.englishquizzes.prv.pl/ and http://www.wsl.edu.pl/~azetka/about_me1.htm )

      - Batnasan from Mongolia was here, as well, another Webhead - meet him seen from his
      window at his office when the snow is falling at http://www.freewebs.com/batnasan/

      - and me, http://www.xanga.com/susnryrop where I'll also post this resumé from a lively
      event that continued for a long time even after the official session was over, with a
      conversation about group work and collaborative learing in social contexts, versus
      individual testing and assessment, seen from an international view with examples from
      Japan, US and Scandinavia).

      I'm sure I forget some of you, feel free to write back and tell us about YOUR impression of
      this mixed audience collbaoration!

      PS somehow Jean Michel in Columbia, and his amazingly heart warming framed,
      international stamp collage offered to Daf yesterday during her Columbia visit was also
      present - because Vance had included this event in his slides :-)
      You can find his slides from The english workshop yahoogroup in the Files folder I think.

      What was life online - before Webheads became sucn a major part of me?
    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
        Dearest Webheads: thanks, thanks, thanks

        I do not know how to start this short report of today�s workshops in Medellin. Well, first, I discovered in the middle of the morning, while I was trying to add a new slide to my ppt for the plenary tomorrow, that my CD was not recognized by the computers here in Colombia (do not ask why, it worked in Caracas). Scary isn't it? But last night I had asked Arnold to send me a copy of my ppt and paper to my e-mail, which he, with his usual kindness did, thanks God. So, the nice and warm people at the EAFIT university, burned a new CD for me and I could partly relax again.

        Why partly? Well, I was starting my workshops in the afternoon without having given my plenary with the framework of who Webheads are, and how we came to be. While most of the presenters had already delivered their plenary, but mine is tomorrow.

        I decided not to have lunch in order to check the equipment in the lab room I was to be using (the congress organizers tried to convinced me to have the lunch brought to me to the room, which I did not accept). To my surprise, I could not use Tapped In because port 8000 was blocked (justs like in my university), and I had no microphone and only 1 set of speakers for a room for 27 participants. He He, What's this for Webheads ;-)

        I asked, cried, begged for at least one microfone. As I started the first session, one mic was set to my computer, and Teresa was already online contacting me in YM. After a while that I spent giving an overview of why I was there and what was the purpose of the session (a very informal and auto-biographical talk), we went to LT with Teresa, Rick and Buth. Teresa had the opportunity to talk to the open-mouthed participants and answer some questions. Ricky had no microphone but was writing comments in the chat, and Buth was not very lucky with her sound, but she was there, and I told my participants who each one was and from where. After doing some experimentation with the whiteboard, we left for Alado where students took turns to speak. Tere, Buth, Rick, Doris, Renata? were there -sorry if I am forgetting someone). Participants experimented with synchronized navigation with my architecture pages, where I showed the kinds of interactive activities which can be done online, streaming
        videos found on the web, etc. And of course a great advertisement for the EVOnline sessions and Webheads in Action. I had never felt one hour and a half pass so quickly. The session was over. Everybody wanted info about WiA, BaW and EVOnline :-)

        Second Workshop: Full house. Sus announced to me they were at LT for Doris course. I said I would go in 5 minutes while I gave the overview to this group (this group was to meet with me for only 1 hour). Well, we went to Karen's office at LT, where VAnce was moderating the session for Doris' course. I had announced to my audience we would be observers of a real live session where professional development was taking place, in short, Webheads in the action. To my surprise, Vance had prepared many slides related to me, as part of his presentation (how I became a WEbhead, my portrait, and JM's collage - not exactly in this order). I did not know what to say and my audience was in shock for what they were being part of. Unfortunately, I had to leave because I wanted to show alado and some web pages. But felt the WoW factor filling the room. More WiA, BaW and EVOnline talk and more interest in joining both WiA and EVonline. Great round of applauses after this and the previous session,
        followed by people coming to me asking for more info.

        Break (half and hour) meeting with the Rector of the university - very informal chat, Colombian coffee served and congratulations to all presenter, followed by a group photo.

        Third workshop. Overview (by this time I was wishing to have a recording) Christine Bauer-Ramazani, was joining me at YM, so was Maria Irene from VAlencia. This time the room was above its capacity - people sharing computers (forgot to tell, that the organizers managed to bring more speakers and mics). Still we needed to be no more than 10 at Alado and we did not have time to have participants registered in LT, so the video beam was great to have everybody following all the events.
        Christine was invited to be at this conference, in fact she was one of the keynote speakers, but she was not able to make. But she DID make it. She was right here chatting with my audience, and answering very difficult questions which she managed with her usual expertise. She shared resourses with the participants, which were very happily received. Maria Irene in Valencia, Venezuela, joined us, she had been trying to do so since the first session but could only make it to the last session.

        THANKS everybody for being there, for caring and sharing. The three sessions were a complete success (told by one of the organizers from comments made by the audience), and the success was due to your online presence, for being there on the other side, for making true what I had just outlined with words. Once again we have made a difference
        :-)

        Tomorrow I will be giving my plenary, and now I feel better. I think that having met this people before the plenary, having created rapport with a great part of the audience which will be at the auditorium tomorrow, will make it easier for me. They now know who I am and I know who they are. We have already shared some experiences.

        I am sure that many of these people will join the EVO sessions in January and Webheads (maybe starting with BAW-05).

        Going to sleep, because tomorrow I have another hectic day : plenary, colloquia with all presenters, and then 2 workshops in the afternoon. I really hope to see some of you around at YM.

        Sorry about the length of the message.

        hugs and hugs,

        Daf (reporting from Medellin Colombia)
        PS: Sus, I love your report. I might use it in the plenary tomorrow if you do not mind

        - and me, http://www.xanga.com/susnryrop where I'll also post this resum� from a lively
        event that continued for a long time even after the official session was over, with a
        conversation about group work and collaborative learing in social contexts, versus
        individual testing and assessment, seen from an international view with examples from
        Japan, US and Scandinavia).

        I'm sure I forget some of you, feel free to write back and tell us about YOUR impression of
        this mixed audience collbaoration!

        PS somehow Jean Michel in Columbia, and his amazingly heart warming framed,
        international stamp collage offered to Daf yesterday during her Columbia visit was also
        present - because Vance had included this event in his slides :-)
        You can find his slides from The english workshop yahoogroup in the Files folder I think.

        What was life online - before Webheads became sucn a major part of me?

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Maria Jordano
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
          Hi Daf,

          I couldn't be there yesterday, but I imagine
          everything went great great great! I will try to
          attend today, but I have just just came home to see my
          family and I cannot say anything for sure, but I will
          try.

          I am very glad hear everything was "fine" there...
          Well you know how obstacle-lovers use to be at Uni
          when dealing with technological matters....

          I wish you all the luck, though I know you don't need
          it at all!

          A big big hug,

          María

          =====
          www.mariajordano.com

          Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
          http://correo.yahoo.es
        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
            Hello Daf,
            Congrats for yesterday's session which, from what I have read, was a huge
            success. I was not able to login from my parents' house yesterday as they
            have a dial up connection and no sound...so am here today, back to my Pc if
            you need me.
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
          • vstevens
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
              It must have been. I've got half a dozen or more requests for new
              memberships at WIA.

              Rock on,