Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Dafne is in Colombia

  • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 28, 2004
      Dear Daf,

      As I was writing my message to JM just now and thanking him for such a
      beautiful gesture, I was thinking to myself: Daf will have tears in her eyes
      when she receives this! I would, too!

      The way the present was handed to you makes it even more special! How you
      must have felt!

      This gesture must have shown people there how far the online bond can reach
      and how strong it can be!!! Just think how they will feel when they see it
      for real this afternoon! And tomorrow. Hurrah for Webheads!!! All for one
      and one for all!!!

      I'm glad you feel we are there with you and backing you up all the way.
      Let's start a healthy, positive revolution in Colombia by spreading the CMC
      word through you!!! Not everything is bad in this world!!!

      Big hugs!

      Teresa

      Dear JM, Sus and all,

      I have no words to describe my feelings... was like having all webheads
      backing me up, and JM making me feel at home.... I could not believe what I
      was seeing and tears came to my eyes.

      Thanks from the bottom of my heart :-)

      hugs,
      Daf
    • CJones
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
        Dear Jean Michel,

        Thanks for providing the photo. It's an impressive collage.

        Chris Jones

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Michel Chaupart"
        <jchaupart@y...> wrote:

        > A few minutes ago I spoke with Dafne who had in her hands a hand-
        > made present I sent for her in name of many webheads.

        > A picture of the "collage" has been pasted in "Photos" (No.64)
      • Maria Rendon
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
          Teresa... your words have touched me deeply ....Just a couple of
          days I sent Jean Michel a message telling him about my decision of
          not continuing for a while in the teaching profession...
          sometimes I feel I'm not really for this, but I love to be able to
          help others to learn a language that will allow them to know other
          cultures and to do things like this... to meet people like you, like
          Webheads... I haven't been a constant participant lately because
          after my arrival to Colombia from Australia I just didn't know what
          new way to take and I have been involved both in teaching and trying
          to start a business. Well, the point is... Now that you mention
          it ... when I was in Australia I used to feel that as a Colombian I
          should be very grateful to life to have had the oportunity to learn
          about the use of Computers for Communication and for learning
          languages and that CMC could be a way for us to show the world that
          Colombia has lots of wonderful people, talents and good things to
          show despite of the socio-political situation we have to deal
          with... so as you said... "Let's start a healthy, positive
          revolution in Colombia by spreading the CMC word"

          Could it be that destiny has something for me in the online
          world?...hehe...and specially in this online community?... just a
          couple of days ago I received a message from Vance about another
          Webhead in Cali, the city where I live. Her name is Norbella, and
          like me, she is new in Webheads...though I'm in my second year ;) We
          might meet soon, so I'll let you know about it... will take photos
          and post them.

          Daf, how sad to hear the connection at the university is slow... I
          hope you don't have many difficulties but I'm sure you'll be able to
          sort them out if they occur. Receive my sincere congratulations on
          this new event you are leading and thank you for giving Colombian
          teachers a chance to learn about CoPs and specially about Webheads.
          I hope being closer now (you in Venezuela and me in Colombia...and
          also JM and Norbella)we can sometime, someday get together and start
          working on some online language learning project... ha! I sound more
          like the language teacher now...!
          I don't think I can't be online tomorrow at the time of your
          workshops. I'm giving a midterm exam!
          Will you be in Medellín until Sunday? I could try and meet you there
          for lunch... would take a bus ride from Cali tomorrow evening.... I
          just feel Iike I don´t want to miss this chance. Hope you get this
          message soon.
          Just in Case you have a chance to call, my phone number is (092)
          3367392

          Jean Michel, great collage! thank you... and about what I said in
          the email the other day... I might reconsider it ;)

          Elizabeth, Feliz Cumpleaños!!! Happy Birthday!!!

          And Sus... I read about the award you got from LT congratulations!
          what a funny picture!

          A hug to all Webheads,

          Maria Elena, from Cali - ColOmbia.

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Teresa Almeida d'Eça
          <tmvaz@m...> wrote:
          > Dear Daf,
          >
          > As I was writing my message to JM just now and thanking him for
          such a
          > beautiful gesture, I was thinking to myself: Daf will have tears
          in her eyes
          > when she receives this! I would, too!
          >
          > The way the present was handed to you makes it even more special!
          How you
          > must have felt!
          >
          > This gesture must have shown people there how far the online bond
          can reach
          > and how strong it can be!!! Just think how they will feel when
          they see it
          > for real this afternoon! And tomorrow. Hurrah for Webheads!!! All
          for one
          > and one for all!!!
          >
          > I'm glad you feel we are there with you and backing you up all the
          way.
          > Let's start a healthy, positive revolution in Colombia by
          spreading the CMC
          > word through you!!! Not everything is bad in this world!!!
          >
          > Big hugs!
          >
          > Teresa
          >

          > Dear JM, Sus and all,
          >
          > I have no words to describe my feelings... was like having all
          webheads
          > backing me up, and JM making me feel at home.... I could not
          believe what I
          > was seeing and tears came to my eyes.
          >
          > Thanks from the bottom of my heart :-)
          >
          > hugs,
          > Daf
        • John Hibbs
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2004
            I cried when I read this. Thank you Daf. Thank you Webheads.

            No snipping allowed. Please.

          • Dafne
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 31, 2004
              Dear All,

              Since the conference was over yesterday I had not had the chance to connect to Internet to give you a final report on the event, after the successful beginning with the 3 workshops on Friday.

              My plenary was to be one day before Halloween, and one ghost seems to have been around me. In my previous report, I mentioned how the CD I brought from Caracas with my PPT could not be recognized by any computer here, and that I asked Arnold to send me a copy to my e-mail box, and it was saved on a CD, and tried on Friday morning. Well, on Saturday morning before my plenary, while trying to copy the ppt from the CD to the laptop on the stage (podium), we found, to everybody's surprise that the PPT had vanished from the CD. No answer to that mystery. Again, the PPT attached to e-mail saved my life :-)

              The plenary: Yes, the plenary was in Spanish, Teresa (I will make the ppt available as soon as I go back to Caracas). I started a bit nervous. Talking in front of more than 400 people is not easy. But as soon as I started to speak, I realized I was getting people's attention, and the rest came easy and in an spontaneous way anding from the podium to be closer to the audience. After finishing with the PPT, I showed the audience the collage, and explained its meaning, emphasizing that this was a real symbol of all I had been talking about. You cannot imagine how I felt when,at that moment, the whole auditorium started to applaud. Which they did again after I finished talking. As I got off the podium, people started to come to me to make comments, congratulate me, ask questions about webheads, etc. Three of the comments that I still remember very clearly:
              "you put the human touch to CALL in this conference" "you have given us hope, you have shown us it can be done, and we can also do it" "your presentations did not finish when we left the room, you have opened a door, the beginning of a process"

              Well, those Webheads who were with me Saturday afternoon, know how the 2 workshops were full house. 2 and 3 people for each computer (I had 27). Many webheads online to help me too, and needless to say that without them this event would not have been what it was. Showing my audience that all what I had said was a reality, seeing, talking, listening to people located in so many different places and at so many different hours, ready to talk to them, is something that touches people, and you guys did that, you touched my audience.

              Let's see if I can remember all those present on Saturday (I was really tired and trying to do my best with the rest of the energy I had left to deal with a room full of people), so if miss someone, please accept my apologies. I remember Teresa, Sus, Elizabeth, Maria Irene, Bee, Rita, Maria Jordano, Chris Jones, Wendy, Rick, Agata, Jean Michel (who spoke in French with an ex-student of his present in the room)

              It is almost impossible to summarize all the things that happened when you guys were there for me, and I was dealing with the participants in the room. So, I will just say that this was an exciting experience which has contributed to make more teachers aware that they can be helped to learn how to use technology with their students. In this case, this is very important because most of these teachers were coming from public schools (sent by the Ministry of Education) and from the elementary and high school levels.

              Well, but this is not all I have to tell you. On Sunday, when I was just waking up, I had a phone call. It was Maria Rendon (Webhead from Cali) who had traveled 9 hours by bus (all night) to be with me here in Medellin even though she knew I was going out with the organizers of the congress who had prepared a tour for all presenters. Well, the organizers, when they learned about this, invited Maria to come with us on the tour. So, Maria and I were together today, we had a great time, and she managed to integrate with the whole group with her nice and warm personality. As usual, there will be pictures from this f2f encounter with Maria.

              I cannot finish this report without saying that Tom's and Susan Gaer's plenaries (webheads too) were also favorites as well as their workshops (full house)

              Now, I need to go to bed because tomorrow (I mean today) I am flying back to Caracas.

              Thanks again, you are wonderful :-)

              Daf

            • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
                Dear Dafne,

                Wow! What a success! From those three comments below, you have truly started
                a healthy and peaceful revolution in education in Colombia! And through you,
                Webheads have made a difference! Hurraaaaahhh! Kudos to you, Daf! :-))

                It does seem like a Halloween ghost or demon was trying to haunt your CD,
                but a Dutch angel saved your life! ;-)

                I'm sure we all felt at a distance that your audiences were glued to the
                screens and to the speakers. There is a special magic when "voices" from
                distant and different parts of the worls are added to a presentation.
                Empathy seems to reach its maximum! And with tools such as LT/Elluminate and
                Alado we seem to be talking side by side, which makes it even more
                "virtually real"! I felt this once again a couple of hours ago when having a
                training session with Michael Coghlan and Australian colleagues at
                Elluminate earlier today. It's fantastic!!!

                How very sweet of Maria Rendon to have travelled so many hours to meet you!
                It shows the true Webhead spirit! And the same goes for the organizers who
                invited her to go along. At this conference there was not only the *human
                touch* or sensitivity in CALL, but also in attitudes and human relations
                that is so important in our everyday life. (Unfortunately there is such lack
                of it!) A very hearty hug to Maria!

                Daf, what else can I say except that I'm very proud of you! And of the
                Webheads! Would we be doing these things if it weren't for this very special
                community?!

                It feels great to be a part of a group of colleagues who are giving a lot of
                themselves and their free time to spread the CALL, TELL, TET, WELL,
                whatever.... word all over the world! Yes, we are making a difference, and
                that also feels great! :-)

                I'm very happy for you, Daf, and I'm very happy for the Webheads!
                Congratulations one and all!!! Yeeeeessss! We did it again! :-)

                Hugs,

                Teresa
              • Maria Rendon
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Dear Daf,

                  Thank you for all the effort and hard work you did in the Congress
                  and thank you to all the Webheads that were present... a pity I
                  wasn't able to be there online...but lucky me that could meet you Daf!
                  in person... and thanks to the organizers of the congress who allowed
                  me to join the trip.

                  Sus Nyrop, I did give Daf your hug and kiss as promessed :)

                  Needless to say, you really put the human touch and showed many young
                  teachers how useful for the language learner is to use online
                  communitation to enhance their learning and for us teachers to
                  collaborate through online communities... a hooray for Webheads...and
                  welcome to the new ones that Vance had to join recently and the ones
                  to come.

                  A big hug,

                  Maria Rendon
                  Colombia.

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dafne <dygonza@y...>

                • Michael Coghlan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Just bravo Daf. Brilliant. Well done! And thanks for sharing this - warms
                    the soul it does.

                    - Michael.