Looking for help...

  • Renata Suzuki
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
      Can anybody recommend a short online class on academic
      writing? I'd like to get better knowledge of the genre to
      help me with my assignments. If possible, I'd like to do
      one from a UK university. I thought perhaps somebody
      would know of an instructor that has a stand-alone class
      (in US terms 'offered for professional developement') from
      a University that uses WebCT or some online system.
      Thanks,

      Renata Suzuki
    • vstevens
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
        Just an off the wall (as in bounce) suggestions, a bit of lateral thinking

        Why not OFFER such a session? Now there's one you probably hadn't thought
        of. We have EVOnline coming up. Why not propose to give such a session.
        Perhaps enlist a partner with some knowledge of the genre. But you research
        it, propose it, toss it out and see who is interested. The pressure of
        having to conduct the session gives you encentive to research it. While
        conducting it you benefit from the ideas and feedback of others. You aren't
        the expert exactly, but a faciliator of knowledge, including your own.

        Just a thought,

      • amuhren@planet.nl
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
          Hi Renate,

          I would like to recommend a resource which is not an online class. The UK
          Open University has a section "Effective Use of English" on their Learning
          Skills pages. The materials are tailored to the needs of students seeking
          support for their academic report and essay writing. The development of
          these resources was informed by the perceived needs of both native speakers
          (writers) and non-native speakers of English. Some years ago I used them
          when they were first developed with my international students (visiting my
          then institute on an Erasmus programme). They seemed to find them very
          useful, especially the exercises in "Practise using the tools of writing"
          (see menu on the left).

          Here's the link:
          http://www3.open.ac.uk/learners-guide/learning-skills/english/pages/index.asp

          Vance's suggestion is another fine "lateral" alternative. If I remember
          correctly Elizabeth has also been active in the field of academic writing.

          Cheers, Arnold
        • IWTSE Administrator
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
            Hi Renata,
            You could try http://englishtelecampus.com I've heard
            good things about them.

            Best wishes,
            Rosalie Dow

            =====
            http://www.iwanttospeakenglish.com
            Study ESL with a live teacher online.
          • Fernanda Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
              Hi everyone
              I found this site about Phonemic Scripts. Some may find it useful. Some
              time ago Damian was looking for something of this kind.

              http://users.otenet.gr/~petermac/call/callindex.html

              Fernanda