Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Internet and Education

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004
      At 4:53 PM +0300 9/27/04, Arif Altun wrote:

      >This semester I will be offerring a course on the Ineternet and
      >Education. I am at the stage of developing a syllabus for the course
      >content. This course will be at the undergraduate level and for
      >students who are going to be computer teachers in K-12. What topics
      >do you think should be covered? any suggestions or discussions are
      >welcomed.

      Arif: I would love to hear more about these three topics:

      a) How to improve the motivation to learn?
      b) How to measure progress?
      c) The use of community radio, web radio and web tools

      --
      John W. Hibbs
      <hibbs@...>

      About the Institute
      http://www.bfranklin.edu

      About John Hibbs
      http://www.bfranklin.edu/johnhibbs

      About Global Learn Day
      http://www.bfranklin.edu/gld

      About the Franklin Tercentenary
      http://www.bfranklin.edu/ambassadors

      Eugene, Oregon, USA

      TEL: +1 541 343 9389
      cell +1 541 337 4233
    • isa
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004
        > What topics do you think should be covered?

        email lists

        non-synchronous communication in distance learning

        developing community, such as through task based or project based activity

        There is some significant research I have read here and there that
        indicates that non-synchronous listervs and bulletin boards are crucial
        to effective on-line learning whether within a local scholarly community
        or between dispirit communities and individuals.

        Community develops in task based and project based learning and makes
        on-line resources far more effective, I have also read.

        love

        peace

        isa
      • MIAU
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004
          I think including information about Nielsen's principles for evaluating
          Internet sites would be a good idea, with this information ss would be
          able to make apropriate web sites. Another element would be platforms
          like Nicenet, Moodle, etcetera.
          I hope this is of help,
          Greetings,
          María Irene

          This semester I will be offerring a course on the Ineternet and
          Education. I am at the stage of developing a syllabus for the course
          content. This course will be at the undergraduate level and for students
          who are going to be computer teachers in K-12. What topics do you think
          should be covered? any suggestions or discussions are welcomed. I know
          for sure that CMC is going to be some considerable part of the course
          ... Cheers Arif

          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
          delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
          Thanks!!
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004
            Hi Arif,
            Some links which I took from my page
            http://the_english_dept.tripod.com/teachers.html

            and that may be of help:

            Internet Detective: an interactive, online tutorial which provides an
            introduction to the issues of information quality on the Internet and
            teaches the skills required to evaluate critically the quality of an
            Internet resource.
            http://www.sosig.ac.uk/desire/internet-detective.html

            Marco Polo: quality internet content for the classroom
            http://www.marcopolo-education.org/

            Knowledge Loom: Good models of teaching and learning with technology
            http://knowledgeloom.org/practices3.jsp?location=1&bpinterid=1163&spotlightid=1163

            Web Lesson Evaluation Form
            http://www.clta.net/lessons/evalform.html

            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004
              Hi Rif,

              Sounds like an interesting challenge. I presume you know about
              ICT4LT, http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_contents.htm, ICT for Language
              Teachers, Graham Davies's pet project.

              Best,

              Vance

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Arif Altun
              <altunar@i...> wrote:
              > Hi everybody,
              > This semester I will be offerring a course on the Ineternet and
              Education. I am at the stage of developing a syllabus for the course
              content. This course will be at the undergraduate level and for
              students who are going to be computer teachers in K-12. What topics
              do you think should be covered? any suggestions or discussions are
              welcomed. I know for sure that CMC is going to be some considerable
              part of the course ...
              > Cheers
              > Arif
            • isa
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 27, 2004

                > Not Found
                >
                > The requested URL /en/en_contents.htm, was not found on this server.

                BUT no problem to get to home page

                http://www.ict4lt.org/

                Vance Stevens wrote:

                > Hi Rif,
                >
                > Sounds like an interesting challenge. I presume you know about
                > ICT4LT, http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_contents.htm, ICT for Language
                > Teachers, Graham Davies's pet project.
              • Dafne
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                  The only problem with the url was that there was a comma at the end. I always look at the end of the url to see if it has unwanted additions to delete them ;-)

                  http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_contents.htm

                  Daf

                  Vance Stevens wrote:

                  > Hi Rif,
                  >
                  > Sounds like an interesting challenge. I presume you know about
                  > ICT4LT, http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_contents.htm, ICT for Language
                  > Teachers, Graham Davies's pet project.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Buthaina
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                    Isa: I found it, here it is: http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_contents.htm

                    I think that you have forgotten to delete the comma, which followed
                    the file extension, html, this is why it got you to a page that was
                    not found by a server.

                    Enjoy,

                    Buth

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, isa <786isa@o...>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                      Thanks for the reminder about Graham Davies

                      <http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/cvgd.htm>

                      Visits to his web pages and the page above is additional evidence
                      that some of the most interesting people in the world are in the
                      world English language learning.

                      You guys are underpaid and underappreciated and there should be a
                      blog site devoted to ideas which could help to change both. Would
                      anyone on this list put up a blog site for that purpose? Or tell us
                      where an existing blog would be the best place for further comments?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                        thanks. didn't notice the comma. sorry

                        Dafne wrote:

                        > The only problem with the url was that there was a comma at the end. I
                        > always look at the end of the url to see if it has unwanted additions
                        > to delete them ;-)
                        >
                        > http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_contents.htm
                        >
                        > Daf
                      • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 28, 2004
                          Elizabeth and Buth,

                          Congrats on a great and very informative paper. A very pleasant read!

                          I've included it in the WiA Index under Presentations.

                          Hugs,

                          Teresa
                        • Arlyn Freed
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 3, 2004
                            Hi Arif,

                            In addition to Miau's comment to include web site
                            evaluation, I think the lack of good search skills can
                            really hinder the success of some projects. Teaching
                            students BOOLEAN language basics and steering them
                            toward specific search engines is key to limiting
                            search time and helping students located exactly what
                            they are looking for.

                            Additional ideas: include basic Internet vocabulary,
                            suggest searching by file extension, and explore the
                            benefits of various search engine options (ie: search
                            by image, audio, etc.).

                            I include some of this material in a web page I
                            created for low-level beginners:
                            http://www.eslhome.com/esl/listen/search/

                            All the best,
                            Arlyn

                            This semester I will be offerring a course on the
                            Ineternet and
                            Education. I am at the stage of developing a syllabus
                            for the course
                            content. This course will be at the undergraduate
                            level and for
                            students
                            who are going to be computer teachers in K-12. What
                            topics do you think
                            should be covered? any suggestions or discussions are
                            welcomed. I know
                            for sure that CMC is going to be some considerable
                            part of the course
                            ... Cheers Arif

                            =====
                            http://www.eslhome.com

                            "What's past is prologue."
                            -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

                            http://vote.yahoo.com
                          • Maria Jordano
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 8, 2004
                              Hi Arif,

                              have a look at this too...

                              http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/ev.php-URL_ID=18592&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

                              or here:

                              http://www.elearningeuropa.info/index.php?lng=1&sid=7bfa11a2207825deb68a8d69940ec944&p1=1&p4=1

                              Kind regards,

                              Mar�a

                              =====
                              www.mariajordano.com

                              http://vote.yahoo.com
                            • altunar@ibu.edu.tr
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 9, 2004
                                Dear Maria,
                                These are great web sites. Thank you.
                                I am almost done with designing the weeks and the content for the syllabus. I
                                appreciate all for providing me insight into designing this course. I will
                                send the URL in my next email, unfortunately it will be in Turkish. I will
                                make the outline in english as well
                                Have a great weekend.
                                Arif

                                --
                              • Maria Jordano
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 9, 2004
                                  Hi Arif,

                                  It will be great to have a look at the final work even
                                  if it is in Turkish...,)

                                  Mar�a

                                  =====
                                  www.mariajordano.com