Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re:Cattle Drives and Oregon Trail

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Bob,

      your cattle drive adventure blog sounds fascinating!

      I found a photo page with the story of the Danish Oxen trail;
      http://www.lakjer.dk/erik/rejser/haervej/haervej.html
      In North Denmark, cattle farmers used to raise cattle where fields were rich
      of grass, and walk with hteir oxen all the way down south to sell it on
      markets in Germany. This was often done by young boys, who had to learn how
      to manage a hard life along the road. Along this oxen trail that still
      exists, you will find many memorials, such as menhirs and old stone bridges,
      are still left, you will of course find many inns, and people today use it
      for walking or biking; this is one thing I would like to do some time in my
      life.

      I'll look forward to learn more about your amazing project

      Sus