[evonline2002_webheads] Re: [TESLCA-L] EFL for blind students

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      Talking Communities is owned and run by a very nice guy who just
      happens to be blind - George Buys. He's busy as hell and tough to get
      to respond, but if you want I will phone him and find out anything
      you want to know. He's copied here.

      For more information about blind sources you can also try another
      really, really great human being, Norm Coombs - who knows everything
      there is to know about access for the disabled. Try here:

      Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
      nrcgsh@...
      ASI's New Synchronous Web Conference Clinics http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

      EASI's November, month-long online courses:
      Barrier-free E-learning http://easi.cc/workshops/bfel.htm
      Accessible Internet Multimedia http://easi.cc/workshops/mmedia.htm
      Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design http://easi.cc/workshops/bbaitsyl.htm
      (a package of five courses will earn the Certificate in Accessible
      Information Technology)
      http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
      http://www.rit.edu/~nrcgsh

      At 9:04 AM +0400 9/1/04, vstevens wrote:
      >Hi Mark,
      >
      >On a couple of occasions over the past year or so, we have encountered blind
      >participants in the voice chats in which Webheads have participated.
      >
      >I recall that in the last Global Learn Day http://bfranklin.edu/gld/ there
      >was at least one blind participant and I believe he or she was introduced by
      >Andy Pinchon, http://www.alado.net, who provided the Talking Communities
      >chatroom for the GLD event.
      >
      >There is also an ESL teacher named Chee in Houston Texas who has a Talking
      >Communities voice chat, and he also has blind participants. Unfortunately I
      >don't recall his URL.
      >
      >I'm cc'ing this to Webheads in Action
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads
      >
      >Someone there might have Chee's URL. You might consider joining that group
      >and continuing this discussion there (all are welcome).

    • Buthaina
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        Hi Vance,

        Here is the URL of Chee's, RealTeachers.org, site with his contact
        info:

        http://www.realteachers.org/tutorial/consult.htm

        Vance, you or Mike might also want to contact George Buys, as John
        said. He gave a talk, together with Norm Coombs, and Marisal Miranda
        at the last Mentor/Tutor eConference on the topic: "On-Line
        Mentoring of the Disabled".

        The following is a pasted short description about them that I've
        copied from the Tutur/Mentor eConference schedule page:

        Norm and George are both blind and have extensive credentials and
        experience in overcoming their handicaps and being productive
        examples to others of how technology is a great equalizer for anyone
        motivated enough to move toward self sufficiency.

        Norm Coombs, Lake Forest, CA http://www.rit.edu/~easi/ along with
        Marisol Miranda who is located in Queretaro, Mexico
        http://www.akxes.org.

        You can actually find their webcasted session listed by Andy, on the
        econference webcast archives page, at this URL:

        http://www.alado.net/econference (During this great session they
        showed and talked about many useful online technologies for blind
        people, and other related matters and experiences).

        Also, Daniel F. Bassill, President and Founder of Cabrini
        Connections (http://www.cabriniconnections.net) and the Tutor/Mentor
        Connection (http://www.tutormentorconnection.org and
        http://www.tutormentorexchange.net), might be able to help, as well.

        I am sorry that I don't have their contact info with me, now, as I'm
        still on vacation; however, I can provide them when I return home in
        a week or so.

        I hope this helps,

        Best regards,

        Buth