Re: [TESLCA-L] EFL for blind students

  • vstevens
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004
      Hi Mark,

      On a couple of occasions over the past year or so, we have encountered blind
      participants in the voice chats in which Webheads have participated.

      I recall that in the last Global Learn Day http://bfranklin.edu/gld/ there
      was at least one blind participant and I believe he or she was introduced by
      Andy Pinchon, http://www.alado.net, who provided the Talking Communities
      chatroom for the GLD event.

      There is also an ESL teacher named Chee in Houston Texas who has a Talking
      Communities voice chat, and he also has blind participants. Unfortunately I
      don't recall his URL.

      I'm cc'ing this to Webheads in Action
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads

      Someone there might have Chee's URL. You might consider joining that group
      and continuing this discussion there (all are welcome).

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        Talking Communities is owned and run by a very nice guy who just
        happens to be blind - George Buys. He's busy as hell and tough to get
        to respond, but if you want I will phone him and find out anything
        you want to know. He's copied here.

        For more information about blind sources you can also try another
        really, really great human being, Norm Coombs - who knows everything
        there is to know about access for the disabled. Try here:

        Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
        nrcgsh@...
        ASI's New Synchronous Web Conference Clinics http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

        EASI's November, month-long online courses:
        Barrier-free E-learning http://easi.cc/workshops/bfel.htm
        Accessible Internet Multimedia http://easi.cc/workshops/mmedia.htm
        Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design http://easi.cc/workshops/bbaitsyl.htm
        (a package of five courses will earn the Certificate in Accessible
        Information Technology)
        http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
        http://www.rit.edu/~nrcgsh

        At 9:04 AM +0400 9/1/04, vstevens wrote:
        >Hi Mark,
        >
        >On a couple of occasions over the past year or so, we have encountered blind
        >participants in the voice chats in which Webheads have participated.
        >
        >I recall that in the last Global Learn Day http://bfranklin.edu/gld/ there
        >was at least one blind participant and I believe he or she was introduced by
        >Andy Pinchon, http://www.alado.net, who provided the Talking Communities
        >chatroom for the GLD event.
        >
        >There is also an ESL teacher named Chee in Houston Texas who has a Talking
        >Communities voice chat, and he also has blind participants. Unfortunately I
        >don't recall his URL.
        >
        >I'm cc'ing this to Webheads in Action
        >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads
        >
        >Someone there might have Chee's URL. You might consider joining that group
        >and continuing this discussion there (all are welcome).

      • Buthaina
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hi Vance,

          Here is the URL of Chee's, RealTeachers.org, site with his contact
          info:

          http://www.realteachers.org/tutorial/consult.htm

          Vance, you or Mike might also want to contact George Buys, as John
          said. He gave a talk, together with Norm Coombs, and Marisal Miranda
          at the last Mentor/Tutor eConference on the topic: "On-Line
          Mentoring of the Disabled".

          The following is a pasted short description about them that I've
          copied from the Tutur/Mentor eConference schedule page:

          Norm and George are both blind and have extensive credentials and
          experience in overcoming their handicaps and being productive
          examples to others of how technology is a great equalizer for anyone
          motivated enough to move toward self sufficiency.

          Norm Coombs, Lake Forest, CA http://www.rit.edu/~easi/ along with
          Marisol Miranda who is located in Queretaro, Mexico
          http://www.akxes.org.

          You can actually find their webcasted session listed by Andy, on the
          econference webcast archives page, at this URL:

          http://www.alado.net/econference (During this great session they
          showed and talked about many useful online technologies for blind
          people, and other related matters and experiences).

          Also, Daniel F. Bassill, President and Founder of Cabrini
          Connections (http://www.cabriniconnections.net) and the Tutor/Mentor
          Connection (http://www.tutormentorconnection.org and
          http://www.tutormentorexchange.net), might be able to help, as well.

          I am sorry that I don't have their contact info with me, now, as I'm
          still on vacation; however, I can provide them when I return home in
          a week or so.

          I hope this helps,

          Best regards,

          Buth