Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Request for English for Science

  • Batnasan Davaa
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hello all webheads.

      I intorduse following url. mayabe it is more chanse.

      http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=baagiibat

      Please see this url.

    • Batnasan Davaa

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
          Hi Dr Elizabeth
          Thanks for your help. I need a text of one or two pages about each field of science. If the texts are provided with some exercises on comprehension, vocabulary, grammar and so on, that will be better. If not, I'll try to do the exercises, myself. The student's English background is something like the pre-intermediate level. The purpose is to help students in learning something about the language of sciecne and to make them familiar with the most important terms in the scientific fields.
          I appreciate your help
          Regards
          Salem

          Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
          Salem--
          I think we'd need more information on what kinds of
          materials/exercises you want.
          In the meantime, you might look at the Academic
          Writing group I set up which has a set of exercises on
          writing the English academic paragraph. Also, Buthaina
          Al Othman has collected many good resources at this
          site for her English for Science students at the
          University of Kuwait. You might want to look at her
          syllabus and the activities she has required of them,
          as well as the other resources at the site. These
          documents are all at:
          --Elizabeth

          > Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 05:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
          > From: salem mudallel <smudallel@...>
          > Subject: Help
          >
          > Hi everyone
          >
          > Thanks to colleagues for the effort they make to
          > help each other improve our teaching skill. I have a
          > question. I don't know whom to ask. In fact, it's
          > not a question. It's a request. I'd like someone to
          > help me preparing materials for my students at the
          > Faculty of Science. Their level of English is almost
          > pre-intermediate. They have studied English for six
          > years (4hours a week). They will take English at the
          > Faculty for two semesters (2 hours a week). The
          > purpose of the course is to help students getting
          > some background on how to read and write as well as
          > to listen and speak English of their field. I know
          > there are many textbooks available in the market
          > that deal with English for sciences. I tried many
          > but I couldn't find the appropriate one. I'd like
          > your help to provide me with texts of one or two
          > pages on each of the scientific field such as:
          > chemistery, physics, mathematics, statistics,
          > computer and so on. I'll try to make the exercises
          > on each passage.
          > I'll be very grateful to you
          > Yours
          > Salem

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
            Hello Salem,
            There is a nice project which contains a series of collaborative work units
            on science. It is called Science Across the World. You may want to check it
            out.
            http://www.scienceacross.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.showhomepage

            Another useful site with plenty of good content and ideas is:
            http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/llsintro.htm
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
          • salem mudallel
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
              Hellol Barbara
              Thank you very much for your help. I'll check it.
              Regards
              Salem

              Barbara Dieu <bwjdieu@...> wrote:
              Hello Salem,
              There is a nice project which contains a series of collaborative work units
              on science. It is called Science Across the World. You may want to check it
              out.
              http://www.scienceacross.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.showhomepage

              Another useful site with plenty of good content and ideas is:
              http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/llsintro.htm
              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              Barbara Dieu
              Lyc�e Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • isa
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                The ENC web site and newsletter has vast resources and links and
                contains many science and math articles you can use. I also sent along
                the URL for Science Digest which is a web site with the latest research
                and news and articles for all the sciences.

                salem mudallel wrote:

                >Hellol Barbara
                >
                > http://www.sciencedaily.com/
              • isa
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                  > http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/physics

                  articles about physics, basic definitions and overview articles and
                  history, subfields, theories, concepts etc.

                • isa
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                    > http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/biology

                    everything from micro- to xeno-biology, anatomy to zoology

                  • last Nomade
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                      Dear Dr Salem

                      Have you tried project based teaching with your classes ? I guess it will work well.
                      My best regards
                      Mokhtar OUNIS
                      Tunisia

                    • salem mudallel
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                        Hello Ounis
                        thanks for your suggestion
                        Best regards
                        Dr. Salem

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                            Hi,

                            Here you are some more links. It is not too much, but
                            I hope It could help you more...

                            Maria

                            =====

                            Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                            Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                            14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                            TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • Maria Jordano
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 7, 2004
                              Sorry,this was the URL I wanted to show...

                              http://www.mariajordano.com/esp/esp.htm

                              Maria

                              =====

                              Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                              Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                              14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                              TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                              http://messenger.yahoo.com
                            • Buthaina
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 15, 2004
                                Hi Isa and All,

                                I did a google search to find more information about the textbook
                                indictaed in your previous message, below, and I've found an
                                interesting page, from the search result, with a speech on
                                Technology Enhanced Learning, (TEL) by Peter Watson that was given
                                at Kuwait University,in 1998!!

                                Please take a look at Watson's talk, using this URL:
                                <http://www.physics.carleton.ca/~watson/Kuwait/TEL%
                                20strategies/Kuwait_talk.html>

                                Buth

                                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, isa <786isa@o...>