Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Request for English for Science

  • isa
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004

      > > chemistery, physics, mathematics, statistics,
      > > computer and so on. I'll try to make the exercises
      > > on each passage.

      Reading Strategies for University Students, Romstedt and McGory,
      Macmillan, 1988. ISBN 0-02-0403430-4

      It contains a seies of different chapters from actual, real science
      textbooks and readings for science courses at the university level, and
      addresses statistics, theory, research design, etc. from a scientific
      perspective. It covers all the various reading and vocabulary and
      inference and identification, etc. strategies needed by university
      science learners
    • isa
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
        > one or two
        > > pages on each of the scientific field such as:
        > > chemistery, physics, mathematics, statistics,
        > > computer and so on.

        Academic Reading and Study Skills for International Students, Rosenthal
        and Rowland, Prentice Hall, 1986 ISBN 0-13-000563-0

        Authentic actual readings from Physics, Engineering, Biology,
        Anthropology, Economics university text books and designed as a bridge
        between ESL and university reading skills
      • Batnasan Davaa
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
          Hello all webheads.

          I intorduse following url. mayabe it is more chanse.

          http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=baagiibat

          Please see this url.

        • Batnasan Davaa

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
              Hi Dr Elizabeth
              Thanks for your help. I need a text of one or two pages about each field of science. If the texts are provided with some exercises on comprehension, vocabulary, grammar and so on, that will be better. If not, I'll try to do the exercises, myself. The student's English background is something like the pre-intermediate level. The purpose is to help students in learning something about the language of sciecne and to make them familiar with the most important terms in the scientific fields.
              I appreciate your help
              Regards
              Salem

              Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
              Salem--
              I think we'd need more information on what kinds of
              materials/exercises you want.
              In the meantime, you might look at the Academic
              Writing group I set up which has a set of exercises on
              writing the English academic paragraph. Also, Buthaina
              Al Othman has collected many good resources at this
              site for her English for Science students at the
              University of Kuwait. You might want to look at her
              syllabus and the activities she has required of them,
              as well as the other resources at the site. These
              documents are all at:
              --Elizabeth

              > Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 05:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
              > From: salem mudallel <smudallel@...>
              > Subject: Help
              >
              > Hi everyone
              >
              > Thanks to colleagues for the effort they make to
              > help each other improve our teaching skill. I have a
              > question. I don't know whom to ask. In fact, it's
              > not a question. It's a request. I'd like someone to
              > help me preparing materials for my students at the
              > Faculty of Science. Their level of English is almost
              > pre-intermediate. They have studied English for six
              > years (4hours a week). They will take English at the
              > Faculty for two semesters (2 hours a week). The
              > purpose of the course is to help students getting
              > some background on how to read and write as well as
              > to listen and speak English of their field. I know
              > there are many textbooks available in the market
              > that deal with English for sciences. I tried many
              > but I couldn't find the appropriate one. I'd like
              > your help to provide me with texts of one or two
              > pages on each of the scientific field such as:
              > chemistery, physics, mathematics, statistics,
              > computer and so on. I'll try to make the exercises
              > on each passage.
              > I'll be very grateful to you
              > Yours
              > Salem

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Barbara Dieu
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                Hello Salem,
                There is a nice project which contains a series of collaborative work units
                on science. It is called Science Across the World. You may want to check it
                out.
                http://www.scienceacross.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.showhomepage

                Another useful site with plenty of good content and ideas is:
                http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/llsintro.htm
                Warm regards from Brazil,
                Bee

                Barbara Dieu
                Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
              • salem mudallel
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                  Hellol Barbara
                  Thank you very much for your help. I'll check it.
                  Regards
                  Salem

                  Barbara Dieu <bwjdieu@...> wrote:
                  Hello Salem,
                  There is a nice project which contains a series of collaborative work units
                  on science. It is called Science Across the World. You may want to check it
                  out.
                  http://www.scienceacross.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.showhomepage

                  Another useful site with plenty of good content and ideas is:
                  http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/journal/llsintro.htm
                  Warm regards from Brazil,
                  Bee

                  Barbara Dieu
                  Lyc�e Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                    The ENC web site and newsletter has vast resources and links and
                    contains many science and math articles you can use. I also sent along
                    the URL for Science Digest which is a web site with the latest research
                    and news and articles for all the sciences.

                    salem mudallel wrote:

                    >Hellol Barbara
                    >
                    > http://www.sciencedaily.com/
                  • isa
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                      > http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/physics

                      articles about physics, basic definitions and overview articles and
                      history, subfields, theories, concepts etc.

                    • isa
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                        > http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/biology

                        everything from micro- to xeno-biology, anatomy to zoology

                      • last Nomade
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                          Dear Dr Salem

                          Have you tried project based teaching with your classes ? I guess it will work well.
                          My best regards
                          Mokhtar OUNIS
                          Tunisia

                        • salem mudallel
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                            Hello Ounis
                            thanks for your suggestion
                            Best regards
                            Dr. Salem

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                                Hi,

                                Here you are some more links. It is not too much, but
                                I hope It could help you more...

                                Maria

                                =====

                                Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                                Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                                14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                                TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                              • Maria Jordano
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 7, 2004
                                  Sorry,this was the URL I wanted to show...

                                  http://www.mariajordano.com/esp/esp.htm

                                  Maria

                                  =====

                                  Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                                  Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                                  14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                                  TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                                  http://messenger.yahoo.com
                                • Buthaina
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 15, 2004
                                    Hi Isa and All,

                                    I did a google search to find more information about the textbook
                                    indictaed in your previous message, below, and I've found an
                                    interesting page, from the search result, with a speech on
                                    Technology Enhanced Learning, (TEL) by Peter Watson that was given
                                    at Kuwait University,in 1998!!

                                    Please take a look at Watson's talk, using this URL:
                                    <http://www.physics.carleton.ca/~watson/Kuwait/TEL%
                                    20strategies/Kuwait_talk.html>

                                    Buth

                                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, isa <786isa@o...>