Re: Help to teach Science English students

  • Buthaina
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi Salem,

      I taught an ESP, English for Science, for intermediate level,
      earlier, in the Faculty of Science, at Kuwait University. The
      textbook used for this course is English for Science by Zimmerman,
      which is good to teach reading and writing styles. I have created,
      earlier, an online CALL program for my students that is based on the
      syllabus for this course, which you are welcome to check out at this
      http://alothman-b.tripod.com/161_onlinelessons.htm

      (Please note that you might encounter some dead links, since I am
      not teaching this course now).

      Currently, I teach the next level of English for Science, upper-
      intermediate designed for sophomores, for the third time, this
      summer. The textbook used for this course is Reading Etc. by
      Rosenberg & Weinstock. It is also good to teach indirect, long
      reading passages and writing skills needed for science students.
      I have also created online extensions for my students, based on the
      required skills to be learned and taught in this course. You are
      welcome to take a look at the latest program, I have created for
      this summer class, at this URL:

      http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162_summer2004.htm

      To view the CALL program created for Spring 2004, please go to

      http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162student_workshop.htm

      To view the online CALL lessons for Fall 2003, please go to

      http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content-efs_162.htm

      Salem, besides the textbook, I personally prefer to use authentic
      material, such as articles from scientific magazines, which you
      could find some of them online. I have a few of them already linked
      to from one of my pages, which you are welcome to take a look at,
      using this URL:

      http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content_useful_61.htm

      I hope this helps,

      Best regards,

      Buth

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susannenyrop"
      <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
      > Hello Salem,
      >
      > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
      > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
      >
      > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
      > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
      > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
      > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
      > hard to follow.
      >
      > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
      and
      > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
      > years of learning.
      >
      > Sus
    • Francisco Maya
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
        Hello Buthaina!
        This is Francisco, a silent member of the webheads. I teach ESP ( English for Business) and your message to Salem caught my attention. I took a brief look at your program on Science and I think it is very well done. I could not let the opportunity go by to tell you what a nice job you have done, specially the quizzes about the lectures.
        Congratulations!
        Francisco.

        <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
        > Hello Salem,
        >
        > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
        > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
        >
        > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
        > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
        > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
        > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
        > hard to follow.
        >
        > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
        and
        > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
        > years of learning.
        >
        > Sus

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • sue annan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2010
          Do any of you based in Germany have a guide to what is required for the
          Abitur when dealing with texts?

          I'm going to teach a young German student next week who wants help
          analysing texts. I am not sure how long they should be, or on what topics.

          Is there a checklist or something I could use?

          Thanks in advance -I have faith in webheads having the answer!

          Sue (in sunny Jersey)