Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Help to teach Science English students

  • salem mudallel
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi sus
      thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestion
      Regards
      Salem

      susannenyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
      Hello Salem,

      I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
      Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.

      In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
      find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
      technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
      enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
      hard to follow.

      Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging and
      inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
      years of learning.

      Sus

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Buthaina
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hi Salem,

        I taught an ESP, English for Science, for intermediate level,
        earlier, in the Faculty of Science, at Kuwait University. The
        textbook used for this course is English for Science by Zimmerman,
        which is good to teach reading and writing styles. I have created,
        earlier, an online CALL program for my students that is based on the
        syllabus for this course, which you are welcome to check out at this
        http://alothman-b.tripod.com/161_onlinelessons.htm

        (Please note that you might encounter some dead links, since I am
        not teaching this course now).

        Currently, I teach the next level of English for Science, upper-
        intermediate designed for sophomores, for the third time, this
        summer. The textbook used for this course is Reading Etc. by
        Rosenberg & Weinstock. It is also good to teach indirect, long
        reading passages and writing skills needed for science students.
        I have also created online extensions for my students, based on the
        required skills to be learned and taught in this course. You are
        welcome to take a look at the latest program, I have created for
        this summer class, at this URL:

        http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162_summer2004.htm

        To view the CALL program created for Spring 2004, please go to

        http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162student_workshop.htm

        To view the online CALL lessons for Fall 2003, please go to

        http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content-efs_162.htm

        Salem, besides the textbook, I personally prefer to use authentic
        material, such as articles from scientific magazines, which you
        could find some of them online. I have a few of them already linked
        to from one of my pages, which you are welcome to take a look at,
        using this URL:

        http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content_useful_61.htm

        I hope this helps,

        Best regards,

        Buth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susannenyrop"
        <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
        > Hello Salem,
        >
        > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
        > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
        >
        > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
        > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
        > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
        > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
        > hard to follow.
        >
        > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
        and
        > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
        > years of learning.
        >
        > Sus
      • Francisco Maya
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
          Hello Buthaina!
          This is Francisco, a silent member of the webheads. I teach ESP ( English for Business) and your message to Salem caught my attention. I took a brief look at your program on Science and I think it is very well done. I could not let the opportunity go by to tell you what a nice job you have done, specially the quizzes about the lectures.
          Congratulations!
          Francisco.

          <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
          > Hello Salem,
          >
          > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
          > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
          >
          > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
          > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
          > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
          > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
          > hard to follow.
          >
          > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
          and
          > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
          > years of learning.
          >
          > Sus

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • sue annan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 24, 2010
            Do any of you based in Germany have a guide to what is required for the
            Abitur when dealing with texts?

            I'm going to teach a young German student next week who wants help
            analysing texts. I am not sure how long they should be, or on what topics.

            Is there a checklist or something I could use?

            Thanks in advance -I have faith in webheads having the answer!

            Sue (in sunny Jersey)