Help to teach Science English students

  • susannenyrop
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3 1:51 PM
      Hello Salem,

      I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
      Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.

      In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
      find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
      technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
      enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
      hard to follow.

      Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging and
      inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
      years of learning.

      Sus
    • salem mudallel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3 3:44 PM
        Hi sus
        thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestion
        Regards
        Salem

        susannenyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
        Hello Salem,

        I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
        Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.

        In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
        find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
        technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
        enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
        hard to follow.

        Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging and
        inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
        years of learning.

        Sus

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Buthaina
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3 6:35 PM
          Hi Salem,

          I taught an ESP, English for Science, for intermediate level,
          earlier, in the Faculty of Science, at Kuwait University. The
          textbook used for this course is English for Science by Zimmerman,
          which is good to teach reading and writing styles. I have created,
          earlier, an online CALL program for my students that is based on the
          syllabus for this course, which you are welcome to check out at this
          http://alothman-b.tripod.com/161_onlinelessons.htm

          (Please note that you might encounter some dead links, since I am
          not teaching this course now).

          Currently, I teach the next level of English for Science, upper-
          intermediate designed for sophomores, for the third time, this
          summer. The textbook used for this course is Reading Etc. by
          Rosenberg & Weinstock. It is also good to teach indirect, long
          reading passages and writing skills needed for science students.
          I have also created online extensions for my students, based on the
          required skills to be learned and taught in this course. You are
          welcome to take a look at the latest program, I have created for
          this summer class, at this URL:

          http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162_summer2004.htm

          To view the CALL program created for Spring 2004, please go to

          http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162student_workshop.htm

          To view the online CALL lessons for Fall 2003, please go to

          http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content-efs_162.htm

          Salem, besides the textbook, I personally prefer to use authentic
          material, such as articles from scientific magazines, which you
          could find some of them online. I have a few of them already linked
          to from one of my pages, which you are welcome to take a look at,
          using this URL:

          http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content_useful_61.htm

          I hope this helps,

          Best regards,

          Buth

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susannenyrop"
          <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
          > Hello Salem,
          >
          > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
          > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
          >
          > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
          > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
          > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
          > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
          > hard to follow.
          >
          > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
          and
          > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
          > years of learning.
          >
          > Sus
        • Francisco Maya
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4 5:54 AM
            Hello Buthaina!
            This is Francisco, a silent member of the webheads. I teach ESP ( English for Business) and your message to Salem caught my attention. I took a brief look at your program on Science and I think it is very well done. I could not let the opportunity go by to tell you what a nice job you have done, specially the quizzes about the lectures.
            Congratulations!
            Francisco.

            <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
            > Hello Salem,
            >
            > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
            > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
            >
            > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
            > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
            > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
            > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
            > hard to follow.
            >
            > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
            and
            > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
            > years of learning.
            >
            > Sus

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • sue annan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 24, 2010
              Do any of you based in Germany have a guide to what is required for the
              Abitur when dealing with texts?

              I'm going to teach a young German student next week who wants help
              analysing texts. I am not sure how long they should be, or on what topics.

              Is there a checklist or something I could use?

              Thanks in advance -I have faith in webheads having the answer!

              Sue (in sunny Jersey)