Citation request for 'sage from the stage' statement

  • Jacqui Cyrus
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
      Hi:
      I wish to quote an oft used phrase for a chapter in my dissertation,
      but so far I cannot find a source. Could you please point me to the
      correct citation for the following statement:

      “a guide from the side”, rather than “a sage from the stage.”

      I first heard it around 1997 in the context of teaching English
      language learners, but I have never seen a citation for the statement.
      I do believe that there is a third part to the statement, something
      about " ... hack from the back."

      ---------------------------------------
      Jacqui Cyrus, MA; MEd
      Educational Design and Instructional Technology (EDIT)
      Doctoral Candidate
      College of Education
      Texas Tech University
      Lubbock, TX 79409-1071
      ++++++++++++++++++++++
      E-mail: jcyrus@...
      E-mail: cyrus@...
      E-mail: cy_tech_two@...
      E-mail: jcyrus@...
      Website: http://www7.tltc.ttu.edu/jcyrus/
      -------------------------
      Office: 806.742.1998 ext 473
      Home: 806.799.1997
      Cell: 806.535.1497
    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
        Hi Jacqui,

        This is what I found in a quickk search:

        From Sage on the Stage to Guide on the Side
        Alison King 1993 College Teaching v41 no1 p30-35

        Students learn by incorporating understanding of the subject into their existing knowledge base, and so must take an active role rather than being passively taught. The professor's job is therefore to facilitate learning rather than lecture. This article discusses several active-learning techniques that instructors can use to help students construct knowledge, such as think-pair-share, guided reciprocal peer questioning, jigsaw, and co-op co-op. ( http://serc.carleton.edu/resources/1780.html )

        And the reference is taken from: Interactive Lectures: Think-Pair-Share:
        http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/interactive/tpshare.html

        Daf

        Jacqui Cyrus <JCYRUS@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • salem mudallel
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
          Hi everyone

          Thanks to colleagues for the effort they make to help each other improve our teaching skill. I have a question. I don't know whom to ask. In fact, it's not a question. It's a request. I'd like someone to help me preparing materials for my students at the Faculty of Science. Their level of English is almost pre-intermediate. They have studied English for six years (4hours a week). They will take English at the Faculty for two semesters (2 hours a week). The purpose of the course is to help students getting some background on how to read and write as well as to listen and speak English of their field. I know there are many textbooks available in the market that deal with English for sciences. I tried many but I couldn't find the appropriate one. I'd like your help to provide me with texts of one or two pages on each of the scientific field such as: chemistery, physics, mathematics, statistics, computer and so on. I'll try to make the exercises on each passage.
          I'll be very grateful to you
          Yours
          Salem

          Jacqui Cyrus <JCYRUS@...> wrote:
[...]

        • susannenyrop
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
            Hello Salem,

            I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
            Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.

            In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
            find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
            technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
            enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
            hard to follow.

            Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging and
            inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
            years of learning.

            Sus
          • salem mudallel
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
              Hi sus
              thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestion
              Regards
              Salem

              susannenyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
              Hello Salem,

              I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
              Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.

              In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
              find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
              technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
              enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
              hard to follow.

              Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging and
              inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
              years of learning.

              Sus

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Buthaina
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
                Hi Salem,

                I taught an ESP, English for Science, for intermediate level,
                earlier, in the Faculty of Science, at Kuwait University. The
                textbook used for this course is English for Science by Zimmerman,
                which is good to teach reading and writing styles. I have created,
                earlier, an online CALL program for my students that is based on the
                syllabus for this course, which you are welcome to check out at this
                http://alothman-b.tripod.com/161_onlinelessons.htm

                (Please note that you might encounter some dead links, since I am
                not teaching this course now).

                Currently, I teach the next level of English for Science, upper-
                intermediate designed for sophomores, for the third time, this
                summer. The textbook used for this course is Reading Etc. by
                Rosenberg & Weinstock. It is also good to teach indirect, long
                reading passages and writing skills needed for science students.
                I have also created online extensions for my students, based on the
                required skills to be learned and taught in this course. You are
                welcome to take a look at the latest program, I have created for
                this summer class, at this URL:

                http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162_summer2004.htm

                To view the CALL program created for Spring 2004, please go to

                http://alothman-b.tripod.com/162student_workshop.htm

                To view the online CALL lessons for Fall 2003, please go to

                http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content-efs_162.htm

                Salem, besides the textbook, I personally prefer to use authentic
                material, such as articles from scientific magazines, which you
                could find some of them online. I have a few of them already linked
                to from one of my pages, which you are welcome to take a look at,
                using this URL:

                http://alothman-b.tripod.com/content_useful_61.htm

                I hope this helps,

                Best regards,

                Buth

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susannenyrop"
                <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
                > Hello Salem,
                >
                > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
                > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
                >
                > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
                > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
                > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
                > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
                > hard to follow.
                >
                > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
                and
                > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
                > years of learning.
                >
                > Sus
              • Francisco Maya
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Hello Buthaina!
                  This is Francisco, a silent member of the webheads. I teach ESP ( English for Business) and your message to Salem caught my attention. I took a brief look at your program on Science and I think it is very well done. I could not let the opportunity go by to tell you what a nice job you have done, specially the quizzes about the lectures.
                  Congratulations!
                  Francisco.

                  <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
                  > Hello Salem,
                  >
                  > I know we got several experienced Special English teachers in
                  > Webheads that will come to your rescue, and share their experience.
                  >
                  > In the meantime, have a look at www.howstuffworks.com - you will
                  > find texts and animated model illustrations of all sorts of
                  > technical stuff, from magnets to airplanes (two examples I just
                  > enjoyed myself today, explained carefully but in ways that are not
                  > hard to follow.
                  >
                  > Hope to hear more about how you manage the challenge of engaging
                  and
                  > inspiring those students, who know only little English, after six
                  > years of learning.
                  >
                  > Sus

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • sue annan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 24 12:40 PM
                    Do any of you based in Germany have a guide to what is required for the
                    Abitur when dealing with texts?

                    I'm going to teach a young German student next week who wants help
                    analysing texts. I am not sure how long they should be, or on what topics.

                    Is there a checklist or something I could use?

                    Thanks in advance -I have faith in webheads having the answer!

                    Sue (in sunny Jersey)