March TESOL 04 Blended Learning presentation online

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      Well, it's taken a few months but I finally uploaded
      my demonstration from TESOL 2004 to the web, "Blended
      Learning for Task-based Instructional Multimedia
      Interactivity" for language learning.

      The presentation shows both the slides presented as
      well as plays the audio lecture. At the end of my
      presentation, there is a link to Aiden Yeh's portion
      of the presentation, my co-presenter for this
      demonstration.

      I would really appreciate your feedback on the
      playback of this upload, as this is the first time I
      have attempted something quite like it. You can see
      and hear the presentation at
      <http://www.eslhome.com/bl/>. You will need Quicktime
      to hear the audio lecture, but all this information
      and instructions are supplied at the index above.

      One problem I seemed to have (and can't figure out
      why) is sometimes the audio comes in choppy but other
      times it streams in smoothly. When it's choppy, it's
      necessary to manually reverse the clip and click play
      to hear the whole clip.

      I hope that people will enjoy learning about Blended
      Learning and its use with Task-based Activities.

      I look forward to your feedback and thank you!
      Arlyn

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • CJones
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi, Arlyn,

        I just tried this out using 56K modem at home. It loads REALLY slowly,
        so I've only made it as far as slide 3. However, once each slide was
        loaded, the audio was clear.

        Chris Jones

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Arlyn Freed
        <aiteachesl@y...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > Well, it's taken a few months but I finally uploaded
        > my demonstration from TESOL 2004 to the web, "Blended
        > Learning for Task-based Instructional Multimedia
        > Interactivity" for language learning.
        >
        > The presentation shows both the slides presented as
        > well as plays the audio lecture. At the end of my
        > presentation, there is a link to Aiden Yeh's portion
        > of the presentation, my co-presenter for this
        > demonstration.
        >
        > I would really appreciate your feedback on the
        > playback of this upload, as this is the first time I
        > have attempted something quite like it. You can see
        > and hear the presentation at
        > <http://www.eslhome.com/bl/>. You will need Quicktime
        > to hear the audio lecture, but all this information
        > and instructions are supplied at the index above.
        >
        > I look forward to your feedback and thank you!
        > Arlyn
        >
        > =====
        > http://www.eslhome.com
      • Arlyn Freed
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
          Dear Chris,

          Thanks for taking the time to try to listen and watch
          the presentation. I left the image files large
          because the text started to fall apart when I tried to
          reduce the resolution and I wanted to keep the slides
          readable so I left the slides large. The problem
          audio is slide 2, 14, 16, 20, and 25 -- but I don't
          think these are the largest files (though some of the
          audio files are quite large). I was expecting most
          people would watch the presentation on T1 or cable
          modem (it loads quickly on my cable modem but never
          loaded at my school). Hoping for other feedback from
          someone with a larger bandwidth availability. Any
          takers?
          Thanks again Chris,
          Arlyn

          From: "CJones" <edtec2002@...>
          Subject: Re: March TESOL 04 Blended Learning
          presentation online

          =====
          http://www.eslhome.com

          "What's past is prologue."
          -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Arif Altun
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
            Dear Arlyn,
            I have listened and watched your slides with no problem here. I have T1
            connection and it is a smooth transition between slides and audio
            recordings. I remember doing a preloading for images when designing web
            sites. THere should be some codes that could be used to load the audio
            files to the computer cache so that they open faster. Does anybody use
            and test such coding for audio?
            Arif
          • Arlyn Freed
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
              Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:56:36 +0300
              From: Arif Altun <altunar@...>
              Dear Arif,
              I think you've hit the nail on the head. The audio
              (using the autoplay command) begins to play before the
              audio has loaded into the cache thus causing a hiccup
              to occur. Is there a delay play command to allow for
              extra time to load the cache or some other commmand I
              can use?
              Thanks for your time,
              Arlyn

              Subject: Re: Re:March TESOL 04 Blended Learning
              presentation online

              Dear Arlyn,
              I have listened and watched your slides with no
              problem here. I have T1
              connection and it is a smooth transition between
              slides and audio
              recordings. I remember doing a preloading for images
              when designing web
              sites. THere should be some codes that could be used
              to load the audio
              files to the computer cache so that they open faster.
              Does anybody use
              and test such coding for audio?
              Arif

              =====
              http://www.eslhome.com

              "What's past is prologue."
              -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Buthaina
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
                Hi Arlyn,

                Congrats! The presentation is great. You have done a fabulous work.

                I've managed to view all of the sldies and listened to your comments
                clearly, using my DSL from home. Minor glitches occured in a couple
                of slides, however.

                Slide # 18 was a little slower to download than the others. Slide #
                20 had a pause period of few seconds in the final part of your
                comment. The rest of the sldies were viewed and heard clearly, here.

                Actually, I tried to check the presentation at work where we use a
                LAN server, but couldn't wait until slide # 4, as the dowonload was
                so slow. The sound was clear, though.

                Buth