Streaming vs. downloading?

  • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2004
      Arlyn--
      Don't know if you got a reply to this question.
      Streaming video works best if your user has a fast
      (broadband) connection. Downloading takes a little
      time but usually works better for dialup below 56
      Kbps. If someone is on a slow dialup, it can take a
      long time for the video to start to stream, and it
      will be jerky.
      It is usually best to offer the user a choice of
      whether to download or not. If you're sure your users
      have fast connections or are patient (or you have a
      very short video), go with the streaming.
      Again, this is a question you can better ask at
      Real English Online (which I think you belong to). At
      one point we did extensive tests of streaming vs.
      downloading. Mike Marzio can give you some better
      help on this.
      Cheers--
      --Elizabth

      Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:31:50 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 837

      No one answered my question regarding which is better
      to have online, steaming video or just video (a
      slightly smaller file). I think the downside of a
      video is that it must be downloaded, whereas a
      streaming video uploads over a period of time without
      incurring the need to download to the desktop, is this
      true? I'm on a Mac, so it's hard for me to test the
      difference and I don't have access to a dialup
      situation (ideally the video could be viewed in this
      situation).
      Thanks,
      Arlyn
      The video in question is at