CALL for papers

  • Claire Bradin Siskin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2004
      Dear Webheads,

      I wanted to make sure that everyone saw this announcement.
      Sorry if you already got the message elsewhere.

      Regards, Claire

      --- Forwarded Message from Steven Thorne
      <sthorne@...> ---

      >Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:01:49 -0400
      >To: llti@...
      >From: Steven Thorne <sthorne@...>
      >Subject: Call for Paper: Special issue of CALICO

      Call for Papers

      2005 Special Issue of the CALICO Journal

      Topic: Computer-mediated Communication and Foreign
      Language Learning: Context, Research and Practice

      Co-Editors: Barbara Lafford (Arizona State), J. Scott Payne (Penn
      State), and Steven L. Thorne (Penn State)

      Description of the volume: This special issue examines uses of
      computer-mediated communication (CMC) in foreign language
      teaching and learning. We encourage the submission of articles
      relating to any area of CMC-mediated foreign language
      educational practice. including reports of original research,
      critical literature reviews, conceptual pieces, and papers
      addressing assessment, cultural factors, and/or the creation of
      new and productive forms of foreign language education
      involving Internet communication tools.

      Specific technologies of interest: We would like to include
      research addressing a wide array of synchronous and
      asynchronous text and audio CMC technologies, such as e-mail,
      a-synchronous discussion tools, synchronous text chat, web-log
      (blog) technologies, instant messenger, Internet telephony, voice
      chat, cell phones, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), video
      chat, wikis, and/or additional communication technologies.
      Papers describing technological innovations and their use in
      foreign language contexts are also encouraged.

      Suggestions for possible papers: We encourage the
      submission of methodologically diverse research (quantitative
      and/or qualitative methods, linguistic analyses, experimental
      design, discourse or conversation analysis, sociocultural theory,
      etc.) addressing, but not limited to, any of the following areas:

      1. Measurable increase in foreign language
      competency/performance related to CMC activity
      2. The development of pragmatic competence within CMC
      environments/interactions
      3. Transfer from CMC to other modalities (e.g., speaking, formal
      writing)
      4. Intercultural communication and CMC
      5. Quasi-experimental or comparative research
      6. Less commonly taught languages and CMC
      7. Critical pedagogy and CMC
      8. Discourse-based and/or qualitative CMC/FL research
      9. The (new) role of instructors and students in CMC learning
      contexts
      10. CMC-mediated project-based learning
      11. Pedagogical research critically documenting CMC best
      practices

      IMPORTANT DATES and DEADLINES:
      July 15, 2004: Abstract submissions due (400 words maximum)
      October 15, 2004: Full paper submissions due (approx.
      6000-8000 words, excluding references)

      Contact Information: Please send inquiries and suggestions for
      contributions to all three co-editors: Bobbie Lafford
      (blafford@...) , J. Scott Payne (jspayne@...) and
      Steve Thorne (sthorne@...).
      --
      Steven L. Thorne
      Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics