limited online

  • Susan Burg
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2004
      Dear Daf and everyone,

      Well I had the same experience here in Italy at the university where I
      teach: when I asked to install Yahoo Messenger last March I was told that no
      chatting was allowed without permission. Then when I continued to come in
      twice a week just to work online there (well don't I teach online for them?)
      the technician began to look at me suspiciously, controlling all my moves.
      Once he realized that I was "didactically" centered he left me alone and now
      I have created trust and we have become friends. But I really feel the same
      problems here as do Daf and others, unfortuanately. In fact, I saw a
      microphone there connected to "the pc", but I wonder if they ever use it!
      My
      heart goes out to all of you who feel this limitation! I do feel a little
      consoled, on the other hand, to know that I am not alone!!

      Susan Burg

      Dear All,

      Thanks to all those who, in spite of my discouraging message, were
      online waiting for a miracle to happen.

      Well, the miracle did not happen. I was on time to meet the
      coordinators of the course at the School of Medicine, we looked for
      the computer lab which we found after 15 minutes of walking up and
      downstairs. The room was closed, so we had to look for the technician
      who came very slowly and with sleepy face. Surprise! the room had no
      screen and no computer for the teacher...We went to another lab, but
      the guy announced that there was only one video beam and it was being
      used in another lab. Fortunately, for the moment, it was in the
      second lab. I said "it is here and it will not move from here". Well,
      not to bore you with the hole story, I was able to open the Yahoo
      Groups I had created for the session, and in that moment, the server
      went down. I did not know if crying or laughing. I ended up
      describing all the possibilities of Yahoo Groups, Yahoo Messenger and
      other Web tools, and all the activities we would have done if we had
      had connection and Yahoo Messenger.
      We talked about what they do, and what use they would give to
      different tools in their work.

      Even though this was just a talk about technology, the fact that I
      was very intense in my talk, seems to have impressed them. They
      promised to get to the group and write their questions and comments
      from their homes.

      Should I cry or laugh?

      Yours,
      Daf