star of empire

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2004
      Dear all,

      I am analysing the painting "American Progress" by John Gast in class and
      need to know the origin/definition of the expression "star of empire".

      I have come across many quotations and reports from the westward
      expansion/manifest destiny when the expression is used ( WESTWARD THE STAR
      OF EMPIRE TAKES ITS WAY). I found that president Quincy used it in a
      speech...

      However I would like to know more precisely how it came into being and what
      it alludes to.

      Warm regards from Brazil,

      Bee

      Barbara Dieu