Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Saving a streaming audio speech as a file

  • muhren2003@planet.nl
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2004
      Dear Michael,

      Apart from using Total recorder (which needs to be bought)(see Michael
      Coghlan's post) there is another way (which is free):

      It is possible to turn on the computer's Windows sound recorder
      simultaneously (i.e. while listening to the BBC on the Net).
      Make sure the recording details (Properties/Recording) are set at a
      suitable level. PCM 22,050 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono may give a good result. You
      can try other levels out and see if they work even better. There is one
      little problem: the recorder enables 60 seconds of recording only. A quick
      search popped up a page with this workaround:

      "The default length that Sound Recorder will catch is 60 seconds. If your
      material is longer than that, you're going to need to expand the length out
      a bit. Record 60 seconds of blank silence. Save this .wav file somewhere on
      your hard drive. Then, go back to Sound Recorder and open File-New. Once
      again, you're at default 60 seconds. But, if you go to Edit-Insert File,
      you can add the 60 blank seconds you just saved to the front of this track.
      Do that and, presto! 120 seconds. Keep doing that until you have Sound
      Recorder set up for a [sufficient length of time]."
      (http://www.dfaguide.com/past27.htm)

      Arnold
    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2004
        Hi Mike,
        There is a wonderful page on everything sound: how to insert sound archives,
        sites and software prepared by a French colleague ,if your French is ok...
        : -)
        http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yvanbaptiste/audiofile.htm
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        Barbara Dieu
        Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
      • Maria Jordano
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2004
          Hi all,

          I don't know if this one would be of help....
          http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
          I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
          fine.

          I think this could also help you:

          http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

          Kind regards,

          Mar�a

          =====

          Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
          Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
          14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

          TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            Hi
            Have you tried rightclicking on the link and "save target as"?

            Fernanda

            On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:52:00 -0000
            "MichaelIvy" <michaelivy@...> wrote:

            > Dear all,
            >
            > With my students, I use the news on the BBC World Service for regular
            > listening practice. I connect my PC to the Net, point my browser to
            > the BBC and click on Listen. I then connect a small tape recorder:
            > headphone output of PC to ext. mike input on tape recorder.
            >
            > This gives reasonable results; but I wonder it it is possible somehow
            > to save streaming audio to disk. I have heard somewhere that it can
            > be done.
            >
            > All advice most gratefully received.
            >
            > Yours,
            >
            > Michael Ivy in Rome
            >
            > See our students' Web site, the MetroZine, at:
            > http://www.britishcouncil.it/students.htm
            >

            > For more information:
            >
            > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Fernanda Rodrigues
            Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
            Setúbal
            http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
          • Michael Ivy

              Message 6 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                Maria,
                Have you figured out a way to use Audacity to save
                streaming audio from the web (while it is streaming
                you would be recording it with Audacity at the same
                time)? I'm looking for this type of solution as I do
                not have a CD burner (yet)... [my wish list is so long
                my arms can't hold it anymore!!!] I have Audacity but
                was unable to find a way to do this.
                Thanks,
                Arlyn

                Message: 12
                Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 06:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
                From: Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...>
                Subject: Re: Saving a streaming audio speech as a
                file

                Hi all,

                I don't know if this one would be of help....
                http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                fine.

                =====
                http://www.eslhome.com

                "What's past is prologue."
                -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

              • Maria Jordano
                Message 7 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                  Hi Arlyn,

                  Sorry. I think I told I was not sure... I hadn't tried
                  it yet... But I suggested in the case you would like
                  to try...

                  If I find anything I will let you know,

                  Mar�a

                  =====

                  Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                  Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                  14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                  TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                • João Fernandes
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                    Hello....
                    Nice site ....do you know of any other sites on audio ??? Please do send them....my 2nd term activities are on audio, video and photos....if you have any useful sites on the issues I will be grateful..THANKS

                    Take CAre,
                    João FErnandes

                    Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...> wrote:
                    Hi all,

                    I don't know if this one would be of help....
                    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                    I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                    fine.

                    I think this could also help you:

                    http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

                    Kind regards,

                    María

                    =====

                    María Jordano de la Torre
                    Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                    14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                    TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    / João Fernandes/

                    http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt
                    http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt

                  • Maria Jordano
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                      Hi Joao!

                      Here you are some of them...

                      http://www.mariajordano.com/multimedia_tools/multimedia.htm

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                          I did a search on "capturing streamed audio" and found this downloadable MP3
                          Sound Recorder Software at http://www.tongsoft.com/
                          <http://www.tongsoft.com/> . I have not used this, but here is what it
                          does-

                          What can I do with this MP3 Sound Recorder software ?

                          <http://www.tongsoft.com/sound-recorder-vinyl-to-cd.htm> Transfer LP, tape,
                          vinyl album to CD easy and fast
                          .Record streaming audio from internet.
                          . Record sound generated by other programs, such as Power DVD ,RealPlayer,
                          WinAmp ,Windows Media Player,etc.
                          . Record music from games.
                          . Record music from movies played by VCR or DVD player.
                          . Record music from tape player.
                          . Record sound from microphone.

                          Christine
                          Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                          School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                          Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                          One Winooski Park
                          Colchester, VT 05439-0253

                          web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                          <http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
                          online CALL course:
                          http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
                          mo.htm

                          http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> , but
                          that is the one
                          I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                          fine.

                          I think this could also help you:

                          http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ <http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/>

                          Kind regards,

                          María

                          =====

                          María Jordano de la Torre
                          Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                          14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                          TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                          <http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover>

                          <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          / João Fernandes/

                          http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt <http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt>
                          http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt <http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt>

                          <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129s64l9g/M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups
                          /S=1705080709:HM/EXP=1083857531/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/companion
                          .yahoo.com> click here

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups/S=
                          :HM/A=2128215/rand=218759220>

                          _____

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          e>

                        • Elderbob.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                            Check out www.transom.org
                            Not only a great site about audio and interviewing, but it also has a great
                            archive.
                            Right now, it is headlining a marvelous Flash Animation with a great
                            dialogue. Absolutely worth checking out.

                            elderbob

                            _____

[...]

                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          • Barbara Dieu
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                              Wonderful site elderbob...thanks a million...filing it in my favourites
                              right away
                              Warm regards from Brazil,
                              Bee

                              Barbara Dieu
                              Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

                              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx