Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Saving a streaming audio speech as a file

  • muhren2003@planet.nl
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2004
      Dear Michael,

      Apart from using Total recorder (which needs to be bought)(see Michael
      Coghlan's post) there is another way (which is free):

      It is possible to turn on the computer's Windows sound recorder
      simultaneously (i.e. while listening to the BBC on the Net).
      Make sure the recording details (Properties/Recording) are set at a
      suitable level. PCM 22,050 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono may give a good result. You
      can try other levels out and see if they work even better. There is one
      little problem: the recorder enables 60 seconds of recording only. A quick
      search popped up a page with this workaround:

      "The default length that Sound Recorder will catch is 60 seconds. If your
      material is longer than that, you're going to need to expand the length out
      a bit. Record 60 seconds of blank silence. Save this .wav file somewhere on
      your hard drive. Then, go back to Sound Recorder and open File-New. Once
      again, you're at default 60 seconds. But, if you go to Edit-Insert File,
      you can add the 60 blank seconds you just saved to the front of this track.
      Do that and, presto! 120 seconds. Keep doing that until you have Sound
      Recorder set up for a [sufficient length of time]."
      (http://www.dfaguide.com/past27.htm)

      Arnold
    • Michael Ivy
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2004
        Thanks very much for this Michael. I will now investigate.

        Yours,

        Michael Ivy in Rome

        See our students' Web site, the MetroZine, at:
        http://www.britishcouncil.it/students.htm

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2004
          Hi Mike,
          There is a wonderful page on everything sound: how to insert sound archives,
          sites and software prepared by a French colleague ,if your French is ok...
          : -)
          http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yvanbaptiste/audiofile.htm
          Warm regards from Brazil,
          Bee

          Barbara Dieu
          Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
        • Maria Jordano
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            Hi all,

            I don't know if this one would be of help....
            http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
            I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
            fine.

            I think this could also help you:

            http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

            Kind regards,

            Mar�a

            =====

            Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
            Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
            14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

            TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

          • Fernanda Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              Hi
              Have you tried rightclicking on the link and "save target as"?

              Fernanda

              On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:52:00 -0000
              "MichaelIvy" <michaelivy@...> wrote:

              > Dear all,
              >
              > With my students, I use the news on the BBC World Service for regular
              > listening practice. I connect my PC to the Net, point my browser to
              > the BBC and click on Listen. I then connect a small tape recorder:
              > headphone output of PC to ext. mike input on tape recorder.
              >
              > This gives reasonable results; but I wonder it it is possible somehow
              > to save streaming audio to disk. I have heard somewhere that it can
              > be done.
              >
              > All advice most gratefully received.
              >
              > Yours,
              >
              > Michael Ivy in Rome
              >
              > See our students' Web site, the MetroZine, at:
              > http://www.britishcouncil.it/students.htm
              >

              > For more information:
              >
              > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Fernanda Rodrigues
              Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
              Setúbal
              http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
            • Michael Ivy

                Message 7 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                  Maria,
                  Have you figured out a way to use Audacity to save
                  streaming audio from the web (while it is streaming
                  you would be recording it with Audacity at the same
                  time)? I'm looking for this type of solution as I do
                  not have a CD burner (yet)... [my wish list is so long
                  my arms can't hold it anymore!!!] I have Audacity but
                  was unable to find a way to do this.
                  Thanks,
                  Arlyn

                  Message: 12
                  Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 06:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
                  From: Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...>
                  Subject: Re: Saving a streaming audio speech as a
                  file

                  Hi all,

                  I don't know if this one would be of help....
                  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                  I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                  fine.

                  =====
                  http://www.eslhome.com

                  "What's past is prologue."
                  -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

                • Maria Jordano
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                    Hi Arlyn,

                    Sorry. I think I told I was not sure... I hadn't tried
                    it yet... But I suggested in the case you would like
                    to try...

                    If I find anything I will let you know,

                    Mar�a

                    =====

                    Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                    Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                    14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                    TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                  • João Fernandes
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                      Hello....
                      Nice site ....do you know of any other sites on audio ??? Please do send them....my 2nd term activities are on audio, video and photos....if you have any useful sites on the issues I will be grateful..THANKS

                      Take CAre,
                      João FErnandes

                      Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...> wrote:
                      Hi all,

                      I don't know if this one would be of help....
                      http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                      I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                      fine.

                      I think this could also help you:

                      http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

                      Kind regards,

                      María

                      =====

                      María Jordano de la Torre
                      Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                      14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                      TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      / João Fernandes/

                      http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt
                      http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt

                    • Maria Jordano
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                        Hi Joao!

                        Here you are some of them...

                        http://www.mariajordano.com/multimedia_tools/multimedia.htm

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                            I did a search on "capturing streamed audio" and found this downloadable MP3
                            Sound Recorder Software at http://www.tongsoft.com/
                            <http://www.tongsoft.com/> . I have not used this, but here is what it
                            does-

                            What can I do with this MP3 Sound Recorder software ?

                            <http://www.tongsoft.com/sound-recorder-vinyl-to-cd.htm> Transfer LP, tape,
                            vinyl album to CD easy and fast
                            .Record streaming audio from internet.
                            . Record sound generated by other programs, such as Power DVD ,RealPlayer,
                            WinAmp ,Windows Media Player,etc.
                            . Record music from games.
                            . Record music from movies played by VCR or DVD player.
                            . Record music from tape player.
                            . Record sound from microphone.

                            Christine
                            Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                            School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                            Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                            One Winooski Park
                            Colchester, VT 05439-0253

                            web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                            <http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
                            online CALL course:
                            http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
                            mo.htm

                            http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> , but
                            that is the one
                            I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                            fine.

                            I think this could also help you:

                            http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ <http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/>

                            Kind regards,

                            María

                            =====

                            María Jordano de la Torre
                            Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                            14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                            TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                            <http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover>

                            <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            / João Fernandes/

                            http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt <http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt>
                            http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt <http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt>

                            <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129s64l9g/M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups
                            /S=1705080709:HM/EXP=1083857531/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/companion
                            .yahoo.com> click here

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups/S=
                            :HM/A=2128215/rand=218759220>

                            _____

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            e>

                          • Elderbob.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                              Check out www.transom.org
                              Not only a great site about audio and interviewing, but it also has a great
                              archive.
                              Right now, it is headlining a marvelous Flash Animation with a great
                              dialogue. Absolutely worth checking out.

                              elderbob

                              _____

[...]

                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            • Barbara Dieu
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                                Wonderful site elderbob...thanks a million...filing it in my favourites
                                right away
                                Warm regards from Brazil,
                                Bee

                                Barbara Dieu
                                Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

                                xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx