Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Saving a streaming audio speech as a file

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2004
      Michael - there are others in the group who know more about this than me
      (was it Maria? Joao? Aiden?). Total Recorder from
      http://www.highcriteria.com/ apparently does the job.

      - Michael.

    • muhren2003@planet.nl
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2004
        Dear Michael,

        Apart from using Total recorder (which needs to be bought)(see Michael
        Coghlan's post) there is another way (which is free):

        It is possible to turn on the computer's Windows sound recorder
        simultaneously (i.e. while listening to the BBC on the Net).
        Make sure the recording details (Properties/Recording) are set at a
        suitable level. PCM 22,050 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono may give a good result. You
        can try other levels out and see if they work even better. There is one
        little problem: the recorder enables 60 seconds of recording only. A quick
        search popped up a page with this workaround:

        "The default length that Sound Recorder will catch is 60 seconds. If your
        material is longer than that, you're going to need to expand the length out
        a bit. Record 60 seconds of blank silence. Save this .wav file somewhere on
        your hard drive. Then, go back to Sound Recorder and open File-New. Once
        again, you're at default 60 seconds. But, if you go to Edit-Insert File,
        you can add the 60 blank seconds you just saved to the front of this track.
        Do that and, presto! 120 seconds. Keep doing that until you have Sound
        Recorder set up for a [sufficient length of time]."
        (http://www.dfaguide.com/past27.htm)

        Arnold
      • Michael Ivy

          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            Hi Mike,
            There is a wonderful page on everything sound: how to insert sound archives,
            sites and software prepared by a French colleague ,if your French is ok...
            : -)
            http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yvanbaptiste/audiofile.htm
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
          • Maria Jordano
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              Hi all,

              I don't know if this one would be of help....
              http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
              I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
              fine.

              I think this could also help you:

              http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

              Kind regards,

              Mar�a

              =====

              Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
              Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
              14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

              TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

            • Fernanda Rodrigues
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                Hi
                Have you tried rightclicking on the link and "save target as"?

                Fernanda

                On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:52:00 -0000
                "MichaelIvy" <michaelivy@...> wrote:

                > Dear all,
                >
                > With my students, I use the news on the BBC World Service for regular
                > listening practice. I connect my PC to the Net, point my browser to
                > the BBC and click on Listen. I then connect a small tape recorder:
                > headphone output of PC to ext. mike input on tape recorder.
                >
                > This gives reasonable results; but I wonder it it is possible somehow
                > to save streaming audio to disk. I have heard somewhere that it can
                > be done.
                >
                > All advice most gratefully received.
                >
                > Yours,
                >
                > Michael Ivy in Rome
                >
                > See our students' Web site, the MetroZine, at:
                > http://www.britishcouncil.it/students.htm
                >

                > For more information:
                >
                > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Fernanda Rodrigues
                Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                Setúbal
                http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
              • Michael Ivy

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                    Maria,
                    Have you figured out a way to use Audacity to save
                    streaming audio from the web (while it is streaming
                    you would be recording it with Audacity at the same
                    time)? I'm looking for this type of solution as I do
                    not have a CD burner (yet)... [my wish list is so long
                    my arms can't hold it anymore!!!] I have Audacity but
                    was unable to find a way to do this.
                    Thanks,
                    Arlyn

                    Message: 12
                    Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 06:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
                    From: Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...>
                    Subject: Re: Saving a streaming audio speech as a
                    file

                    Hi all,

                    I don't know if this one would be of help....
                    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                    I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                    fine.

                    =====
                    http://www.eslhome.com

                    "What's past is prologue."
                    -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

                  • Maria Jordano
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                      Hi Arlyn,

                      Sorry. I think I told I was not sure... I hadn't tried
                      it yet... But I suggested in the case you would like
                      to try...

                      If I find anything I will let you know,

                      Mar�a

                      =====

                      Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                      Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                      14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                      TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                    • João Fernandes
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                        Hello....
                        Nice site ....do you know of any other sites on audio ??? Please do send them....my 2nd term activities are on audio, video and photos....if you have any useful sites on the issues I will be grateful..THANKS

                        Take CAre,
                        João FErnandes

                        Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...> wrote:
                        Hi all,

                        I don't know if this one would be of help....
                        http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                        I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                        fine.

                        I think this could also help you:

                        http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

                        Kind regards,

                        María

                        =====

                        María Jordano de la Torre
                        Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                        14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                        TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        / João Fernandes/

                        http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt
                        http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt

                      • Maria Jordano
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                          Hi Joao!

                          Here you are some of them...

                          http://www.mariajordano.com/multimedia_tools/multimedia.htm

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                              I did a search on "capturing streamed audio" and found this downloadable MP3
                              Sound Recorder Software at http://www.tongsoft.com/
                              <http://www.tongsoft.com/> . I have not used this, but here is what it
                              does-

                              What can I do with this MP3 Sound Recorder software ?

                              <http://www.tongsoft.com/sound-recorder-vinyl-to-cd.htm> Transfer LP, tape,
                              vinyl album to CD easy and fast
                              .Record streaming audio from internet.
                              . Record sound generated by other programs, such as Power DVD ,RealPlayer,
                              WinAmp ,Windows Media Player,etc.
                              . Record music from games.
                              . Record music from movies played by VCR or DVD player.
                              . Record music from tape player.
                              . Record sound from microphone.

                              Christine
                              Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                              School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                              Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                              One Winooski Park
                              Colchester, VT 05439-0253

                              web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                              <http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
                              online CALL course:
                              http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
                              mo.htm

                              http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> , but
                              that is the one
                              I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                              fine.

                              I think this could also help you:

                              http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ <http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/>

                              Kind regards,

                              María

                              =====

                              María Jordano de la Torre
                              Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                              14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                              TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                              <http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover>

                              <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              / João Fernandes/

                              http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt <http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt>
                              http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt <http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt>

                              <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129s64l9g/M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups
                              /S=1705080709:HM/EXP=1083857531/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/companion
                              .yahoo.com> click here

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups/S=
                              :HM/A=2128215/rand=218759220>

                              _____

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              e>

                            • Elderbob.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                                Check out www.transom.org
                                Not only a great site about audio and interviewing, but it also has a great
                                archive.
                                Right now, it is headlining a marvelous Flash Animation with a great
                                dialogue. Absolutely worth checking out.

                                elderbob

                                _____

[...]

                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                              • Barbara Dieu
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                                  Wonderful site elderbob...thanks a million...filing it in my favourites
                                  right away
                                  Warm regards from Brazil,
                                  Bee

                                  Barbara Dieu
                                  Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

                                  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx