Saving a streaming audio speech as a file

  • MichaelIvy
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3 4:52 AM
      Dear all,

      With my students, I use the news on the BBC World Service for regular
      listening practice. I connect my PC to the Net, point my browser to
      the BBC and click on Listen. I then connect a small tape recorder:
      headphone output of PC to ext. mike input on tape recorder.

      This gives reasonable results; but I wonder it it is possible somehow
      to save streaming audio to disk. I have heard somewhere that it can
      be done.

      All advice most gratefully received.

      Yours,

      Michael Ivy in Rome

      See our students' Web site, the MetroZine, at:
      http://www.britishcouncil.it/students.htm
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3 5:04 AM
        Michael - there are others in the group who know more about this than me
        (was it Maria? Joao? Aiden?). Total Recorder from
        http://www.highcriteria.com/ apparently does the job.

        - Michael.

      • muhren2003@planet.nl
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3 5:19 AM
          Dear Michael,

          Apart from using Total recorder (which needs to be bought)(see Michael
          Coghlan's post) there is another way (which is free):

          It is possible to turn on the computer's Windows sound recorder
          simultaneously (i.e. while listening to the BBC on the Net).
          Make sure the recording details (Properties/Recording) are set at a
          suitable level. PCM 22,050 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono may give a good result. You
          can try other levels out and see if they work even better. There is one
          little problem: the recorder enables 60 seconds of recording only. A quick
          search popped up a page with this workaround:

          "The default length that Sound Recorder will catch is 60 seconds. If your
          material is longer than that, you're going to need to expand the length out
          a bit. Record 60 seconds of blank silence. Save this .wav file somewhere on
          your hard drive. Then, go back to Sound Recorder and open File-New. Once
          again, you're at default 60 seconds. But, if you go to Edit-Insert File,
          you can add the 60 blank seconds you just saved to the front of this track.
          Do that and, presto! 120 seconds. Keep doing that until you have Sound
          Recorder set up for a [sufficient length of time]."
          (http://www.dfaguide.com/past27.htm)

          Arnold
        • Michael Ivy

            Message 5 of 16 , May 3 5:29 AM
              Hi Mike,
              There is a wonderful page on everything sound: how to insert sound archives,
              sites and software prepared by a French colleague ,if your French is ok...
              : -)
              http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yvanbaptiste/audiofile.htm
              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              Barbara Dieu
              Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil
            • Maria Jordano
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3 6:26 AM
                Hi all,

                I don't know if this one would be of help....
                http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                fine.

                I think this could also help you:

                http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

                Kind regards,

                Mar�a

                =====

                Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

              • Fernanda Rodrigues
                Message 7 of 16 , May 3 7:01 AM
                  Hi
                  Have you tried rightclicking on the link and "save target as"?

                  Fernanda

                  On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:52:00 -0000
                  "MichaelIvy" <michaelivy@...> wrote:

                  > Dear all,
                  >
                  > With my students, I use the news on the BBC World Service for regular
                  > listening practice. I connect my PC to the Net, point my browser to
                  > the BBC and click on Listen. I then connect a small tape recorder:
                  > headphone output of PC to ext. mike input on tape recorder.
                  >
                  > This gives reasonable results; but I wonder it it is possible somehow
                  > to save streaming audio to disk. I have heard somewhere that it can
                  > be done.
                  >
                  > All advice most gratefully received.
                  >
                  > Yours,
                  >
                  > Michael Ivy in Rome
                  >
                  > See our students' Web site, the MetroZine, at:
                  > http://www.britishcouncil.it/students.htm
                  >

                  > For more information:
                  >
                  > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Fernanda Rodrigues
                  Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                  Setúbal
                  http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
                • Michael Ivy

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4 10:58 AM
                      Maria,
                      Have you figured out a way to use Audacity to save
                      streaming audio from the web (while it is streaming
                      you would be recording it with Audacity at the same
                      time)? I'm looking for this type of solution as I do
                      not have a CD burner (yet)... [my wish list is so long
                      my arms can't hold it anymore!!!] I have Audacity but
                      was unable to find a way to do this.
                      Thanks,
                      Arlyn

                      Message: 12
                      Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 06:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
                      From: Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...>
                      Subject: Re: Saving a streaming audio speech as a
                      file

                      Hi all,

                      I don't know if this one would be of help....
                      http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                      I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                      fine.

                      =====
                      http://www.eslhome.com

                      "What's past is prologue."
                      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

                    • Maria Jordano
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 4 1:59 PM
                        Hi Arlyn,

                        Sorry. I think I told I was not sure... I hadn't tried
                        it yet... But I suggested in the case you would like
                        to try...

                        If I find anything I will let you know,

                        Mar�a

                        =====

                        Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                        Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                        14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                        TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                      • João Fernandes
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 5 8:31 AM
                          Hello....
                          Nice site ....do you know of any other sites on audio ??? Please do send them....my 2nd term activities are on audio, video and photos....if you have any useful sites on the issues I will be grateful..THANKS

                          Take CAre,
                          João FErnandes

                          Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...> wrote:
                          Hi all,

                          I don't know if this one would be of help....
                          http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , but that is the one
                          I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                          fine.

                          I think this could also help you:

                          http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

                          Kind regards,

                          María

                          =====

                          María Jordano de la Torre
                          Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                          14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                          TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          / João Fernandes/

                          http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt
                          http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt

                        • Maria Jordano
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5 9:11 AM
                            Hi Joao!

                            Here you are some of them...

                            http://www.mariajordano.com/multimedia_tools/multimedia.htm

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 5 9:41 AM
                                I did a search on "capturing streamed audio" and found this downloadable MP3
                                Sound Recorder Software at http://www.tongsoft.com/
                                <http://www.tongsoft.com/> . I have not used this, but here is what it
                                does-

                                What can I do with this MP3 Sound Recorder software ?

                                <http://www.tongsoft.com/sound-recorder-vinyl-to-cd.htm> Transfer LP, tape,
                                vinyl album to CD easy and fast
                                .Record streaming audio from internet.
                                . Record sound generated by other programs, such as Power DVD ,RealPlayer,
                                WinAmp ,Windows Media Player,etc.
                                . Record music from games.
                                . Record music from movies played by VCR or DVD player.
                                . Record music from tape player.
                                . Record sound from microphone.

                                Christine
                                Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                                School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                                Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                                One Winooski Park
                                Colchester, VT 05439-0253

                                web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                                <http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
                                online CALL course:
                                http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
                                mo.htm

                                http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> , but
                                that is the one
                                I use for creating listenings for my Lab and it works
                                fine.

                                I think this could also help you:

                                http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ <http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/>

                                Kind regards,

                                María

                                =====

                                María Jordano de la Torre
                                Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
                                14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                                TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                                <http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover>

                                <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                / João Fernandes/

                                http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt <http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt>
                                http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt <http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt>

                                <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129s64l9g/M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups
                                /S=1705080709:HM/EXP=1083857531/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/companion
                                .yahoo.com> click here

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups/S=
                                :HM/A=2128215/rand=218759220>

                                _____

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                e>

                              • Elderbob.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 5 9:52 AM
                                  Check out www.transom.org
                                  Not only a great site about audio and interviewing, but it also has a great
                                  archive.
                                  Right now, it is headlining a marvelous Flash Animation with a great
                                  dialogue. Absolutely worth checking out.

                                  elderbob

                                  _____

[...]

                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                • Barbara Dieu
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 5 2:42 PM
                                    Wonderful site elderbob...thanks a million...filing it in my favourites
                                    right away
                                    Warm regards from Brazil,
                                    Bee

                                    Barbara Dieu
                                    Lycée Pasteur, Sao Paulo, Brazil

                                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx