Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Roleplay Scenario?

  • muhren2003@planet.nl
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2004
      Hello Michael,

      I conducted a search on my archives and found a scenario that might be useful:

      STRUCTURED DEBATE

      The organizer sets a topic (in this case a motion) for the group or a
      different topic for each group (if there more of them).
      Each participant is assigned a specified role:

      Proposer of the motion
      The proposer's role is to put a short message (about one screenful) into
      the group conference elaborating on the proposition, and making a case for
      it, in such a way as to encourage comment from other group members.

      Opposer
      The opposer counters the proposer's message by putting in a message of
      similar length arguing for a differing point of view, again in such a way
      as to encourage further comment.

      Moderator
      The moderator sets the overall scene for the discussion, encourages initial
      comments on the proposer's and opposer's messages, encourages lurkers to
      contribute, keeps the discussion on track, and weaves (i.e. makes links
      between different contributors' messages).

      Documentalist
      The documentalist summarizes one or more of the sources initially set for
      the topic, picking out the points relevant to the motion, and contributes
      the summary to the discussion thread.

      Researcher
      The researcher goes out to find other relevant readings and resources on
      the Web and brings them to the attention of the group.

      Rapporteur
      The rapporteur prepares a summary of the overall debate (2 or 3 screens
      long) and uploads it into the group's conference inviting comments, and
      then prepares a final version.

      Commenters
      Commenters comment on the ideas put forward by all of the above and help
      keep the discussion going. This is a role that everyone in the group should
      take on, in addition to the specific allocated roles above.

      (adapted from an activity in the UK Open University's MA in Online and
      Distance Education programme)

      Cheers, Arnold
    • Elderbob.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2004
        Michael,
        I'm not sure how helpful these guys would be, but it might at least get you
        moving in the right direction.
        http://www.learnscope.anta.gov.au/LearnScope/golearn.asp?Category=11
        <http://www.learnscope.anta.gov.au/LearnScope/golearn.asp?Category=11&Docume
        ntId=624> &DocumentId=624

        I got this information from Aussies...so I can't vouch for it....haha...
        But you can also find some great stuff on role-play here:
        http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/institutes/douglas-mawson/marie/keynote.html
        and
        http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/institutes/douglas-mawson/marie/

        I think there is also a group at Learning Time that is involved in
        simulations and maybe role plays.

        I also recently encountered some free software for developing
        simulations....now if I can just get my small cramped mind to spit out the
        resource or at least tell me what I filed...er...hid it under.....

        I'm at a loss. If you still come up short on this, let me know, and I will
        dig a bit deeper...I'm in the midst of semester finals here, and papers are
        calling me back to work.

        Good luck,
        elderbob

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2004
          Thanks for this info Arnold. It's not quite what I wanted for this occasion
          but I'll store it away for another time. It looks good.

          In case anyone finds it interesting/useful, this is what I came up with:

          ROLEPLAY – WINSTON PK

          Winston Pk is a small park adjacent to existing housing in an inner city
          suburb. The local council is considering selling the land to a developer
          that plans to build an up market housing estate on the land that the park
          now occupies.

          THE PLAYERS:

          Councillor (Norm Milner)

          You are the local councillor representing the ward that contains Winston
          Pk. Council elections are imminent and you want to get re-elected. You have
          been approached by the developer to represent their case at council
          meetings. They are willing to pay above current market value for the land,
          and have also promised financial backing for some other council projects.
          Your brother also works for the developer.

          MP (Howard Ambrose)

          You are very busy and would rather not be bothered too much about such very
          local issues. You would rather the whole thing was sorted out at local
          council level.

          Josie Wilson (Parent with Children)

          You live adjacent to the park and have 2 young children who regularly use
          the park to play with their friends after school and on weekends.

          (David Tarrant) Yuppie

          You live a couple of streets away from Winston Pk. You and your partner
          don’t have any children, and have no intention of having any for some years
          yet. Your main concern is to amass wealth and financial security before
          starting a family. You know a new housing estate would significantly boost
          real estate values in your area.

          Developer (John Gregory for Inner Urban Solutions)

          You are a go-ahead executive for a local building and development company.
          You specialize in inner city urban housing estates and have won awards for
          projects similar in size and type to the proposed Winston Pk housing estate.

          Tennis Club President (Nora Hallett)

          You are the president of an old, little used tennis club in one corner of
          the park. It has been years since the club had the money to maintain
          facilities at the club but a few local diehards who have been living in the
          neighbourhood for years come there on the weekend for a drink and a social
          game of tennis.

        • muhren2003@planet.nl
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2004
            Thanks, Michael.
            I see you wanted a real role *play* and not the kind of role-based activity
            like the structured debate that I put forward.
            Bob's two tafe links in his message of May 3rd are really interesting too,
            with regard to the former I mean.
            Good luck, Arnold
          • Elderbob.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2004
              I'm fairly certain that this is not what you are looking for but it is a
              great example of where some of this technology is heading. Note that this
              is downloadable freeware and is available to teach a variety of course in.
              I am a big fan of sims, and this is one of the slickest ones I have seen.
              It is from Rutgers U.
              http://www.virtual-u.org/training/

              elderbob

              _____