Roleplay Scenario?

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2004
      Hi everyone.

      Does anyone have a ready to use scenario for 6 players that I could use as
      an online roleplay exercise? The idea is that the roleplay would be
      conducted via an asynchronous discussion forum over a week or two.

      I have lots of these on paper somewhere but I don't have access to them at
      the moment and I can't find anything suitable via web searches.......

      Any ideas appreciated,

      - Michael.

      PS. No need to worry about language level. This would be for a group of
      native speakers.
    • muhren2003@planet.nl
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2004
        Hello Michael,

        I conducted a search on my archives and found a scenario that might be useful:

        STRUCTURED DEBATE

        The organizer sets a topic (in this case a motion) for the group or a
        different topic for each group (if there more of them).
        Each participant is assigned a specified role:

        Proposer of the motion
        The proposer's role is to put a short message (about one screenful) into
        the group conference elaborating on the proposition, and making a case for
        it, in such a way as to encourage comment from other group members.

        Opposer
        The opposer counters the proposer's message by putting in a message of
        similar length arguing for a differing point of view, again in such a way
        as to encourage further comment.

        Moderator
        The moderator sets the overall scene for the discussion, encourages initial
        comments on the proposer's and opposer's messages, encourages lurkers to
        contribute, keeps the discussion on track, and weaves (i.e. makes links
        between different contributors' messages).

        Documentalist
        The documentalist summarizes one or more of the sources initially set for
        the topic, picking out the points relevant to the motion, and contributes
        the summary to the discussion thread.

        Researcher
        The researcher goes out to find other relevant readings and resources on
        the Web and brings them to the attention of the group.

        Rapporteur
        The rapporteur prepares a summary of the overall debate (2 or 3 screens
        long) and uploads it into the group's conference inviting comments, and
        then prepares a final version.

        Commenters
        Commenters comment on the ideas put forward by all of the above and help
        keep the discussion going. This is a role that everyone in the group should
        take on, in addition to the specific allocated roles above.

        (adapted from an activity in the UK Open University's MA in Online and
        Distance Education programme)

        Cheers, Arnold
      • Elderbob.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2004
          Michael,
          I'm not sure how helpful these guys would be, but it might at least get you
          moving in the right direction.
          http://www.learnscope.anta.gov.au/LearnScope/golearn.asp?Category=11
          <http://www.learnscope.anta.gov.au/LearnScope/golearn.asp?Category=11&Docume
          ntId=624> &DocumentId=624

          I got this information from Aussies...so I can't vouch for it....haha...
          But you can also find some great stuff on role-play here:
          http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/institutes/douglas-mawson/marie/keynote.html
          and
          http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/institutes/douglas-mawson/marie/

          I think there is also a group at Learning Time that is involved in
          simulations and maybe role plays.

          I also recently encountered some free software for developing
          simulations....now if I can just get my small cramped mind to spit out the
          resource or at least tell me what I filed...er...hid it under.....

          I'm at a loss. If you still come up short on this, let me know, and I will
          dig a bit deeper...I'm in the midst of semester finals here, and papers are
          calling me back to work.

          Good luck,
          elderbob

          _____

          Does anyone have a ready to use scenario for 6 players that I could use as
          an online roleplay exercise? The idea is that the roleplay would be
          conducted via an asynchronous discussion forum over a week or two.

          I have lots of these on paper somewhere but I don't have access to them at
          the moment and I can't find anything suitable via web searches.......

          Any ideas appreciated,

          - Michael.

          PS. No need to worry about language level. This would be for a group of
          native speakers.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129u6210m/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups
          /S=1705080709:HM/EXP=1083591510/A=1874365/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuuldn/*htt
          p://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=1874365/rand=984357527>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          e>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2004
            Thanks for this info Arnold. It's not quite what I wanted for this occasion
            but I'll store it away for another time. It looks good.

            In case anyone finds it interesting/useful, this is what I came up with:

            ROLEPLAY – WINSTON PK

            Winston Pk is a small park adjacent to existing housing in an inner city
            suburb. The local council is considering selling the land to a developer
            that plans to build an up market housing estate on the land that the park
            now occupies.

            THE PLAYERS:

            Councillor (Norm Milner)

            You are the local councillor representing the ward that contains Winston
            Pk. Council elections are imminent and you want to get re-elected. You have
            been approached by the developer to represent their case at council
            meetings. They are willing to pay above current market value for the land,
            and have also promised financial backing for some other council projects.
            Your brother also works for the developer.

            MP (Howard Ambrose)

            You are very busy and would rather not be bothered too much about such very
            local issues. You would rather the whole thing was sorted out at local
            council level.

            Josie Wilson (Parent with Children)

            You live adjacent to the park and have 2 young children who regularly use
            the park to play with their friends after school and on weekends.

            (David Tarrant) Yuppie

            You live a couple of streets away from Winston Pk. You and your partner
            don’t have any children, and have no intention of having any for some years
            yet. Your main concern is to amass wealth and financial security before
            starting a family. You know a new housing estate would significantly boost
            real estate values in your area.

            Developer (John Gregory for Inner Urban Solutions)

            You are a go-ahead executive for a local building and development company.
            You specialize in inner city urban housing estates and have won awards for
            projects similar in size and type to the proposed Winston Pk housing estate.

            Tennis Club President (Nora Hallett)

            You are the president of an old, little used tennis club in one corner of
            the park. It has been years since the club had the money to maintain
            facilities at the club but a few local diehards who have been living in the
            neighbourhood for years come there on the weekend for a drink and a social
            game of tennis.

          • muhren2003@planet.nl
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2004
              Thanks, Michael.
              I see you wanted a real role *play* and not the kind of role-based activity
              like the structured debate that I put forward.
              Bob's two tafe links in his message of May 3rd are really interesting too,
              with regard to the former I mean.
              Good luck, Arnold
            • Elderbob.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2004
                I'm fairly certain that this is not what you are looking for but it is a
                great example of where some of this technology is heading. Note that this
                is downloadable freeware and is available to teach a variety of course in.
                I am a big fan of sims, and this is one of the slickest ones I have seen.
                It is from Rutgers U.
                http://www.virtual-u.org/training/

                elderbob

                _____