RE: [evonline2002_webheads] TextLadder Ver. 3

  • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
      This is an amazing program, Elizabeth. I immediately tried it out and
      forwarded it to our intensive English program teachers and to my CALL Online
      students.

      It not only gives the text for Voice of America news stories, with links to
      various choices of dictionaries for words that users click on; it also
      allows the user to download audio files of the text, read in simplified
      English (a little slower speed). I always use VOA for my Listening classes,
      and this is excellent since it combines listening and reading.

      Thanks for sending the info to the group, Elizabeth.

      Christine
      Christine Bauer-Ramazani
      School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
      Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
      One Winooski Park
      Colchester, VT 05439-0253

      web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
      <http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
      online CALL course:
      http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_de
      mo.htm

      Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 03:43:52 -0400
      From: "Sina Ghadirian" <sina.ghadirian@...>
      Subject: TextLadder

      Hi!

      I'm writing this short e-mail to everyone who has ever contacted me
      about TextLadder. I just wanted to let you know that as of 2004, I
      have put
      out a new, much more powerful version of TextLadder that does not require
      user-made lists. Rather, users simply gather together texts from any
      given
      domain, and TextLadder will automatically make its own domain-specific
      list and work from that. This saves users a lot of trouble, obviously,
      since they no longer have to compile their own speciality lists in
      advance. The new TextLadder (version 3) should successfully work with
      texts from the science, social science, and humanities streams,
      literary pieces, various types of news stories, etc. If you have any
      questions about the new TextLadder, please don't hesitate to contact
      me. TextLadder is free and is available at
      http://www.readingenglish.net <http://www.readingenglish.net>
      Take care, all,

      Sina

      Sina Ghadiria