Re: YM and Webcams for Mac

  • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2004
      Arlyn--
      You must have gotten the wrong person at Yahoo,
      because I was broadcasting the whole room at Long
      Beach from my webcam on a Mac, and I regularly use my
      iMac at home to webcam with people via Yahoo
      Messenger. I am using OS X, and just haven't gotten
      around to trying it on my laptop G3 with OS 9.0.4.
      As I mentioned in an earlier message, I bought a
      Firewire-i UniBrain cam, mainly because I liked the
      looks and how it attached to the monitor with a clip.
      However, there is a very neat looking combo voice-cam
      that is clearly advertised on the Apple site, and it
      should work. BTW, I needed to download a driver from
      the UniBrain site because the CD accompanying the cam
      was more or less blank. The Webcam worked with YM
      without the driver--I just wanted an easy way to
      switch among various applications without shutting
      down and rebooting.
      Also, I should mention that the voice technology
      works well with Elluminate/VClass/LearningTimes. Took
      a phone call, but got the info to do it. It's just
      Alado is not Mac-able. I think Andy may be working on
      this. The advantage of Alado is that it works with the
      older versions of Windows. Newer versions of Windows,
      Mac X, Linux, etc. seem to be fairly compatible with
      each other.
      I was pleased that the techies at the Electronic
      Village were all stalwart Mac users still. It's a
      great interface.
      Cheers--
      --Elizabeth