hi from TESOL

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      What a great Web site, Dr. James.
      http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/james_simpson.htm
      congratulations

      I came upon a good link for corpora and concordancing / text
      analysis at TESOL: http://devoted.to/corpora/

      And a reminder about these two presentations, still to go ...

      Thursday, April 1, 2004 Internet Fair: 16:30 to 17:30 GMT, (8:30-
      9:30 am in Long Beach) - The EV Online session "Professional
      Development through 2004 EV Online Sessions" organized by Christine
      Bauer-Ramazani: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-
      ramazani/TESOL/2004/InternetFair/EV2004.htm. The schedule of
      presentations is here:
      http://www.ilc.cuhk.edu.hk/english/tesol/2004/thurs.html

      Friday, April 2, 22:00 to 23:00 GMT, (2:00 - 3:00 pm in Long Beach.
      I have been invited to present in an Electronic Village Special
      Event, The Internet Classics Fair to be offered at the upcoming 2004
      TESOL Convention in Long Beach, California. My presentation will
      connect conference participants with members of the Webheads
      community of practice who will join online from locations distant
      from the conference. As I have done at this conference the previous
      two years, I will set up a web cam and use this and voice chat
      software to enable the local and distant participants to communicate
      and interact with one another. According to the invitation: "This
      invitation is based on the high quality of the presentation you gave
      for either the 2002 or 2003 TESOL Internet Fair. This "invitation
      only" forum will feature the best presentations from the past few
      years of Internet Fair presentations. It is a means to bring back
      some of the best, thus providing access to those who may have missed
      these exceptional examples of Internet use for ESL/EFL instruction."
      http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~bikowski/classic2004.htm

      We'll go online in the usual places such as Yahoo Groups and
      http://www.tappedin.org and http://www.alado.net/webheads and
      http://www.learningtimes.org and try to make contact with the
      outside world. On Friday I'll have a web cam set up (not sure about
      Thu).

      Sorry about all the thumb twiddling on Tuesday. These next two
      sessions are only for an hour and should be more interactive for the
      online audiences since they are not on-site 'presentations' but are
      demonstrations of the medium.

      Hope to see you there,

      Vance

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne Nyrop"
      <s.nyrop@g...> wrote:
      > I'm forwarding this message that was sent to efiwebheads, as I
      know how busy Vance is right now with the PCI workshop still
      happening over there at Long Beach!

      > Again, James, congratulations to you!!!
      >
      > Sus
      >

      > From: James E. B. Simpson Sent: 3/30/2004 9:18:30 AM
      > To: efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com Subject: [efiwebheads] A Webheads
      thesis
      > Dear Webheads, wherever you are
      >

      > I am very pleased to say that my PhD thesis has been completed and
      > accepted. You can read it online by following the link at
      >
      > [http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/james_simpson.htm%5d
      http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/james_simpson.htm

      > Or you can go direct to the PDF version at
      >
      > [http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/james_simpson-
      thesis.pdf]http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/james_simpson-
      thesis.pdf

      > I've reproduced the abstract at the end of this message.
      >

      > I am enormously grateful to all members of the Webheads community
      for their
      > cooperation with this project. I thoroughly enjoyed writing this
      thesis,
      > particularly as I was able to do so as a 'participant researcher'.
      My new
      > job has taken me away from online learning but I still hope to
      drop in for
      > a Sunday lunchtime chat now and again. And of course I am happy to
      talk
      > about any aspect of the thesis whenever I can!
      >

      > Vance: could you forward this to the WIA list, perhaps. And BJ:
      this will
      > definitely be of interest to Tapped In.
      >

      > Webheads has been the subject of much research activity, partly
      because of
      > the pioneering attitude towards online learning of its founder,
      tutors and
      > other members. As far as I know, mine is the second 'Webheads'
      thesis, the
      > first being John Steele's dissertation, which you can read at
      >
      > [http://netdial.caribe.net/~jhsteele/catstoc.html%5d
      http://netdial.caribe.net/~jhsteele/catstoc.html

      > Chris Johnson is also in the final stages of his PhD work on
      Communities of

      http://sites.inka.de/~W3446/cop/

      [http://sites.inka.de/manzanita/dissertation/formal_proposal_1.1.htm%5d