Re: Tere's article

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
      Very nice article of Teresa's, well done. More on the Webheads lore,
      Lesley Shield and Markus Weininger have just completed a short
      analysis based on some 300,000 words of Webheads chat log data and
      have sent me paper to proof before submitting it for publication.
      Lesley has been very communicative on this and I expect she'll
      respond to my request to make it available to all in this august
      group.

      Richard Day, dept chair of the U of Hawaii where I got my MA, used to
      say "I smell a thesis" whenever such an idea appeared to warrant such
      enquiry. Lesley and Markus have only hit superficially on a few of
      the thousands of possible paths of enquiry one could derive from our
      work. Curt Bonk commented last week, I think in an IM chat message,
      that there were several dissertations lurking in our oeuvre. Here's
      wishing Aiden luck. I might do one myself one day, who knows.

      On the question of doing an annual BaW session, there has been a
      Webheads EVOnline session for three years running now, and I too hope
      it's a trend that continues. I ran the first one and organized the
      second with considerable help from the community, and I'm very
      pleased to see that community members have come forward to carry on
      the good work. It's great when people have the time, energy, and
      commitment to do such exemplary volunteer work.

      The idea to have a beginners' session every year is a good one, and I
      second the call, but envisage that this event might not be run by
      exactly the same people each time, but that relative newcomers might
      be persuaded to help other newcomers.

      So be thinking (everyone) about how you might want to pitch in. There
      are many opportunities to help scaffold one another, and volunteers
      are welcome.

      Incidentally, I've updated the main Webheads page at
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm to
      include listings for both BaW and also EgyptWebheads, a group Buth
      and I started while on location there recently.

      Best to all,

      Vance

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Aiden Yeh
      <aidenyeh@y...> wrote:
      > Tere,
      >
      > What a great reading material about CoP! Thanks for sharing this-
      now this gives me an idea, I know it might be a little too early to
      say nor plan, but your BaW session is doing real good- anyway what
      I'm trying to say is, you could think of offering BaW as a yearly
      session. This way, new comers would not feel intimidated and it would
      be a good 'training' ground. Waht happens after your session? It's up
      to the participants to make that transition to Evonline2002_webheads.

      > What do you think?
      >
      > BTW, your BaW4kids (is this correct, can't remember...)just gave me
      an idea on what to do for my diss- but I'll tell you more about this
      when I've clearly planned it out.

      > hugs,
      >
      > aiden
      >

      > Aiden Yeh
      > National Kaohsiung First University of Science and Technology
      > Taiwan

    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
        Hi Vance,

        The portal to Becoming a Webhead is this:

        http://www.geocities.com/bawebhead/index.html

        The link you have in the main Webheads page as portal is only the page of the threads from the pre-session.

        Cheers,
        Daf

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
          Dear Aiden,

          It's so gratifying to see your enthusiasm about the WiA article expressed in
          a couple of different ways! :-)

          Re: BaW as a yearly session, and speaking for myself, I feel flattered and
          will certainly think about the idea. However, we still have a little over
          half way to go, so, though it's been going very well so far, we need to
          reflect better and fully as soon as the workshop is over.

          My/Our idea from the very beginning is that most participants will be so
          hooked, or affected by the WOW factor - I love that! - by the end of the six
          weeks that they'll want to join WiA.

          I'm dying to hear about your idea for your diss concerning BaW4kids.

          Sorry I didn't reply at once, Aiden, as you well deserved with such an
          enthusiastic message and positive feedback for us all, but it's been
          extremely hectic with too many things on different fronts to attend to at
          the same time.

          Warm hugs,

          Teresa

          > Tere,
          >
          > What a great reading material about CoP! Thanks for sharing this- now this
          gives me an idea, I know it might be a little too early to say nor plan, but
          your BaW session is doing real good- anyway what I'm trying to say is, you
          could think of offering BaW as a yearly session. This way, new comers would
          not feel intimidated and it would be a good 'training' ground. Waht happens
          after your session? It's up to the participants to make that transition to
          Evonline2002_webheads.

          > What do you think?
          >
          > BTW, your BaW4kids (is this correct, can't remember...)just gave me an
          idea on what to do for my diss- but I'll tell you more about this when I've
          clearly planned it out.

          > hugs,
          >
          > aiden
        • Aiden Yeh
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2004
            No problem, Tere, with the EVO sessions running, we all do have a
            lot of things to do. I can't even catch up with all the emails. I'm
            trying to learn FlashMX but can't seem to get it going. I might sign
            up for that free online course that Christine B mentioned in FlashMX
            YG.

            aiden