article on Webheads in Action

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2004
      Dear friends,

      I was very pleasantly surprised just now to find the article I wrote on WiA (Webheads in Action) a few months back published in the January 2004 edition of "Humanising Language Teaching" (http://www.hltmag.co.uk/), an online magazine edited by Mario Rinvolucri.

      It's called "Webheads in Action (WiA): An online community for professional development - from past to present". I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

      http://www.hltmag.co.uk/jan04/sart10.htm

      Cheers,

      Teresa

    • Buthaina Al Othman
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
        Thank you Tere for such a well written article. I enjoyed reading
        every single line.Actually, it came at the right time, when more
        people want to know about us, especially after the latest Webheads'
        events everywhere in the physical and virtual world.
        Btw, I can see myself going back to it a number of time when it's
        time for my first article on (my on-going learning experience from
        the best, that is "Webheads' coomunities of practice"!)

        Chers
        Buth

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
          Dear Buth,

          Thank you for your warm words.

          It's always nice to know that we write something that is meaningful to
          friends and reminds them of great times past. . . together! Isn't it great
          that we can spread the WiA word and spirit in so many different ways?

          It also came at a very nice time for me, Buth, because I've had the pleasure
          of letting the BaW participants share my enthusiasm for how it all started
          for us and to see what brought us this far, to our session, I mean.

          Hugs,

          Teresa
        • Buthaina Al Othman
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
            "Teresa Almeida d'Eca" <tmvaz@m...> wrote:

            > It's always nice to know that we write something that is
            meaningful to
            > friends and reminds them of great times past. . . together!

            Right Tere; I still remember those "magic moments", occurred and are
            still occurring, at Tapped In, but I'm referring to those, occurred
            to me in Week 5 of 2003 seminars, during a meeting at Daf's office
            attended by Sus! It was an opening learning experience. Other
            similar moments occurred when I was reading a chatlog of a Sunday
            meeting that I missed, during which you were introducing your new
            project of "Let's blog" ! And, in other situations, where some
            more "magic moments" occurred by Aiden's creative approach and
            technique of using IT in brilliant projects to reach her students.
            And, of course, Vance, the "Maestro", chatting with him, whether at
            YM or MSN, to ask a short or a long question or for advice, has
            always resulted in wonderful "magic moments" that led and still
            leading to more discoveries and enlightenments. Michale Coghlan, as
            well, and many others who I will talk about in my coming first
            article on Webheads, hopefully, this summer.

            Teresa wrote:

            Isn't it great
            > that we can spread the WiA word and spirit in so many different
            ways?

            Sure it's great, Tere; and this is exactly how I felt in Cairo,
            lately, when at one main reception held by a publisher, I was
            introduced as a Webhead! Frankly, at that very particular moment I
            felt that Webheads' CoP is in the process of becoming a recognized
            International Academic Online Learning Institute, for experts, like
            you, and beginners, like myself.

            Teresa wrote:

            > It also came at a very nice time for me, Buth, because I've had
            the pleasure
            > of letting the BaW participants share my enthusiasm for how it all
            started
            > for us and to see what brought us this far, to our session, I mean.

            This is wonderful, Tere. Really, great happenings that words cannot
            describe; but one could easily understand by checking your Webhaeds'
            index site and see the legendary work of Weabheads.

            Btw, Are you going to Long Beach? I hope to met with you and others
            face to face so that we could all celebrate and have Vance dance, of
            course, : )

            Cheers,
            Buth
          • Buthaina Al Othman
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004
              Hi Teresa, I just wanted to indicate that, the Paella lesson was not
              my first Internet lesson, as you mentioned in your article.

              Actually, when I joined Webheads, I came with the following Website
              I created for my EFL students in Kuwait, at this URL:
              http://www.geocities.com/esl_efl_ku/content_eng090_before.htm

              I still remember once I tried to show Vance an online lesson where I
              added a Webquest on UFO, by Joan Miler, but he couldn't find it and
              asked me for the URL! I was so frusterated then becaue I didn't
              understand why would he ask me for the URL when I gave it to him.

              At that point, I realized the big mistake I did, and why my students
              thought it was difficult to navigate my site!
              It was because I created one Webpage where I included and published
              all the online lessons!(the scrolling pages problem!)

              Some "magic moments" occured then helped me redesign and develop
              many new pages originated from two web pages, created for the two
              courses I teach.

              The following page, which was part of my first online participation,
              copresenting with WiA Colloquim,TESOL,Baltimore last year can
              explain the whole story:

              http://www.geocities.com/esl_efl_ku/before_after_wia.htm

              As for my first Internet lesson, it was created and taught during my
              master teaching training. Tere, it was the one you and other
              Webheads, at Real_English_Online Yahoo group, helped me modify and
              improve, do you remember, My Cousin Vinny; here it is:

              http://alothman-b.tripod.com/culture_vinny.htm

              I haven't use it in Kuwait, yet, but hoping to do so, this Spring.

              This is all I wanted to indicate and share.

              Best,
              Buth

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"