search engine challenge

  • chernel@fame.utb.cz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2004
      Dear Vance, and colleagues,

      This quote is known in the Czech Republic and is attributed to Jan Amos
      Komensky (Comenius) 1592 -1670 +/-
      a.k.a. "Teacher to the Nations".

      Allegedly, he is attributed as being the "first" pedagogue c.f. inter alies
      "Skola Hru/Skola Ludus".
      Born Uhersky Brod, CZ; died Naarden, Holland.

      He was a contemporary of the immortal John Donne in a sense.
      Therefore, he antecedes the venerable W.B. Yeats by yonks!!!!

      The quote (translated) goes:" A student is not a pitcher to be filled; but a
      flambeau/torch to be lit".

      Andy Chernel,
      Universtity Institute,
      Tomas Bata Uni, CZ

      ---
      Odchozi zprava neobsahuje viry.
      Zkontrolovano antivirovym systemem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
      Verze: 6.0.580 / Virova baze: 367 - datum vydani: 6.2.2004

      ________ Information from NOD32 ________
      http://www.nod32.com

    • R & R Teirney
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2004
        Dear Susanne and listers,

        Thanks so much for sharing the Mooter site with the list. I started excitedly telling my teaching friends about it. Then someone from the UK wrote to recommend a similar engine (but with more sophisticated add ons) :

        http://www.kartoo.com

        I'm sure you'll like that one too.

        Cheerio from Australia,

        Roslyn Teirney

        http://users.voice-alert.com/gld7/7132.html

      • vstevens
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2004
          MessageThanks Andy for taking me up on the Search Engine Challenge.

          I want to believe you (and do) but I also have to be shown. This is the actual challenge: where on the web can we corroborate this information? I've just searched Google using advanced techniques (Comenius or Komensky - must contain pitcher, filled, lit) and I cannot find this particular quote, though there is indeed much that Comenius said on the subject of didacticism.

          So though this is an intriguing clue, we are essentially at the same place we are with Yeats. Can we put our hands on a replication of the source document? Where?

          Thanks for playing the game (F.U.N.)